HF Habs: 2020 Montreal Canadiens Off-Season Thread part 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

BargainBinSpecial

Jul 2, 2018
Well, he is right, just not in the right time frame.

When MB came in, both Price and Subban were RFAs in need of a new contract. There were already talks of the next CBA limiting contract lenght, so this was the last year for possible 10+ years contracts, at a time when we had our two future cornerstones to re-sign. The doofus signed Price for 6 years instead of 12 and bridged Subban. We could've had both in their primes while paying them less than 10,5 and 9 mil each.
Bridging was in style back then and the Islanders are still paying Dipietro.

Grate n Colorful Oz

Hutson Hawk
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
Bridging was in style back then and the Islanders are still paying Dipietro.

Going longterm on young players was also fashionable. And I don't see the point of talking of Dipietro when he was on LTIR for a long time making his cap hit a non-factor and no they aren't still paying him other than a measily buyout amount as the contract was bought out in 2013. And even more pointless when in 2012, the most recent example at the time was Luongo on a 12 year contract on 2009, who is a much better comparable to Price, both for talent and physique, than the frail and weak 6 foot, 185 pounds Dipietro.

You insist on your narrative, I get it, but it was a mistake.

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004

When MB came in, both Price and Subban were RFAs in need of a new contract. There were already talks of the next CBA limiting contract lenght, so this was the last year for possible 10+ years contracts, at a time when we had our two future cornerstones to re-sign. The doofus signed Price for 6 years instead of 12 and bridged Subban. We could've had both in their primes while paying them less than 10,5 and 9 mil each.

Yup... It's the constant of MB's approach, zero capacity to align his decision-making strategically to the realities in front of him. Dogmatic in his approach and close-minded in his ability to assess the environment.

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal

Many people hated the 6.5 million Price deal when it was signed. We would have had riots if it was more money/term.

Grate n Colorful Oz

Hutson Hawk
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
Many people hated the 6.5 million Price deal when it was signed. We would have had riots if it was more money/term.

Your argument is a supposition based on interpretation, as an excuse. I was here and I don't remember a single soul (although, like with anything with this forum, there were probably some) complaining back in June 2012, not anything close to what happened in 2018 when he signed his big contract. I mean, your whole argument is bit ridiculous when you consider the subsequent contract and how the Habs didn't implode, there wasn't a riot for that 10.5 per year contract, but I should be led to believe there would be a riot for a 12×8m contract??? Non-sensical.

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
Your argument is a supposition based on interpretation, as an excuse. I was here and I don't remember a single soul (although, like with anything with this forum, there were probably some) complaining back in June 2012, not anything close to what happened in 2018 when he signed his big contract. I mean, your whole argument is bit ridiculous when you consider the subsequent contract and how the Habs didn't implode, there wasn't a riot for that 10.5 per year contract, but I should be led to believe there would be a riot for a 12×8m contract??? Non-sensical.

Go read back. Plenty of complaints about his contract. I'm sure if you traveled back to 2012 and proposed a 12*8 you would not have been well received.

Also, riots was an hyperbole.

Grate n Colorful Oz

Hutson Hawk
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
Go read back. Plenty of complaints about his contract. I'm sure if you traveled back to 2012 and proposed a 12*8 you would not have been well received.

Also, riots was an hyperbole.

No matter what the reception would've been, it wouldn't have been worst than when he signed 10.5, so it's pointless to bring up a supposition that doesn't hold up.

Reactions: Miller Time

ZUKI

I hate the haters...
Oct 23, 2003
montreal
I don't see any other bad contracts unless off course Anderson flops bigtime. This one has potential to become the worst signing in Habs history. .
:laugh:...................................................:laugh:....................................................................:laugh:

This one has the potential to become the worst comment in Habs HF Boards history

Reactions: Deebs

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
Carey Price is a bad contract doesn't matter how you slice it you do not pay a goalie above 7-8m a year and we got Price at freaking 10.5m until forever.....Imagine having 3.5m extra cap room we could have strengthen our forward or Dmen even more. As an example instead of paying Edmundson 3.5m we could have gotten a better dman for 6.5m. It is whatever now and we have to live with MB stupid decision but i just shake my head thinking of the possibilities of that extra cap space being used somewhere else instead of on our goalie.
CP31 contract is the least of our problems over the past few years. He could have gotten 12M and MB would have had to do it. We have been a flawed team for the past 5 seasons...and it's not on Price and his contract, it's on the GM. Alzner's contract is way worse, and hence the results where we have 4M tied up this year that could be used, this is all on MB.
Alot of goalies are going to join Price and his cap hit, it has just started...in the case of Price, MB had ZERO choice to pay the man, ZERO choice...we had noting on the team, absolutely nothing, and we played like an AHL team with the results when Price was not in the net. His agent had MB by the short and curlies...

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
CP31 contract is the least of our problems over the past few years. He could have gotten 12M and MB would have had to do it. We have been a flawed team for the past 5 seasons...and it's not on Price and his contract, it's on the GM. Alzner's contract is way worse, and hence the results where we have 4M tied up this year that could be used, this is all on MB.
Alot of goalies are going to join Price and his cap hit, it has just started...in the case of Price, MB had ZERO choice to pay the man, ZERO choice...we had noting on the team, absolutely nothing, and we played like an AHL team with the results when Price was not in the net. His agent had MB by the short and curlies...

That's a common occurrence for MB & directly related to his ineptitude as a GM.

smirob

Jun 2, 2014
Tatar-Gallagher
Drouin-Toffoli
Lehkonen - Anderson
Byron - Armia
(Whatever the order)

Our wings are full already, not sure he would sign to be in the press box.

Forgot to mention I think Byron should be moved.

BargainBinSpecial

Jul 2, 2018
I hope if we add a forward it will be someone with size who play a hard game

I would target Marcus Foligno at the TDL
How about a Byron for Foligno swap, Habs save about 525k on the cap and get a player that is better suited for the bottom 9. The Wild get a more mobile player for the top 9 who can tally up some points.

Last edited:

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
I hope if we add a forward it will be someone with size who play a hard game

I would target Marcus Foligno at the TDL
This would be a good add for the playoffs, we are becoming a team that will be hard to play against.....the deadline will be another important step in adding a player who can help with a playoff run...

Reactions: Vachon23

Vachon23

Oct 14, 2015
Victoriaville
This would be a good add for the playoffs, we are becoming a team that will be hard to play against.....the deadline will be another important step in adding a player who can help with a playoff run...

Foligno Anderson Weber Chiarot Edmundsson Romanov

I don't know a team that would be harder to play against

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
With the majority of teams cap maxed and not all of them having spending issues, why doesn't the NHL look to add a luxury tax for teams looking to spend over the current cap limit?

The luxury tax could be in effect for one season and would only allow for teams to add players on one-year deals. Teams would have to then make sure they are under the current cap max levels by the off season.

It would help break the current logjam and the money spent over and above the current cap max can be redistributed under some equitable formula. Just a thought.

BargainBinSpecial

Jul 2, 2018

With the new additions, the wings are full with center depth. However, lots of players are not well suited to play bottom 9 minutes. Lek, Byron and Armia are effective third liners but I don't see much grit on that fourth line. I am not sold yet on Anderson, although he is extremely physical, and Drouin has become a source of frustration for many of us.

Tatar, Danault and Armia are having contract years, remains to be seen if they can step it up a notch. Byron is expendable with his high caphit. I don't see room for Weal on this revamped team, although he can play fourth line minutes.

BargainBin has been so preoccupied with fetching fourth liners over the years that he has nothing to show for it. The gameplan now is to build an effective fourth line by letting go some depth.

Last edited:

BargainBinSpecial

Jul 2, 2018
With the majority of teams cap maxed and not all of them having spending issues, why doesn't the NHL look to add a luxury tax for teams looking to spend over the current cap limit?

The luxury tax could be in effect for one season and would only allow for teams to add players on one-year deals. Teams would have to then make sure they are under the current cap max levels by the off season.

It would help break the current logjam and the money spent over and above the current cap max can be redistributed under some equitable formula. Just a thought.
Highly doubt this will pass because the owners are already trying to recuperate some of their losses. Paying a tax to the league only adds to lost revenue. The most logical idea was to raise the cap limit but it was ruled out. Owners didn't want to pay higher salaries. It's the teams' fault again for spending so much. Most teams will have to play with a reduced roster size to meet the cap. There is no other way around it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad