HF Habs: 2020 Montreal Canadiens Off-Season Thread part 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zorba

May 26, 2011
DELTA BC
Well they aren’t bringing him back so who knows.

I just know I don’t want that douchebag on my team. He’s also non-existent defensively and doesn’t fit in this lineup.
He has to score 40 goals minimum to make up for his defensive liability. His defence is worse than the great Galchenyuk.
But I’d love to see a throw down between Hoffman’s wife and Prices wife
Yea I’m an old married man.

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
Literally 1 reporter that covers the Panthers. More than half empty arena every games. Mediocre teams for years. Financial problems.

Hoffman paradise. Don't know what's so funny about this. Hoffman is not a good choice for MTL at all with the drama that happened.

That's years ago. He would be our best goalscorer since Pacioretty.

Anyway, as long as we get a 25+ goals RW I'm happy, whether it's Hoffman, Dadonov, Rakell, Toffoli or whoever.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
MB hasn't killed all hope just yet....

But, yeah, no rational or reasoned follower of the team could expect MB to be aggressive in adding the kind of elite talent we obviously need. He's shown quite emphatically that he's too "smart" for that. :facepalm:
Ya..guess that leaves out our beloved Geoffie Molson.

SpezNc2

Mar 3, 2002
Is your point that player in Florida, Nevada, Texas don’t have any fiscal advantages? Do you what me to do your taxes Because I don’t get it... Yes, it a simplified calculation (even if the online calculator take every jurisdiction into account) there are infinite amount of thing that could be done in different jurisdiction to pay less taxes... Player have to pay taxes in every jurisdiction the play in. why do you have MTL player who reside in Florida, it is part of there taxe stratégie but they still have to file for earning relative tothe 42 home game in Qc, vs. the Florida player playing in Florida will reside in Florida... When I put FW to adjust the cap based on taxes, you would adjusted it on real life impact of fiscal burden not just the gross tax rate. I used the grosse tax rate because it is a lot easier, there is still a significant gap in both rate and what strategies that can be applied between different jurisdiction. I’m not going to try to account for everyone of them here... NHL get a accounting firm that specialize in taxe strategy for athlete to calculate the taxes burden of each team and adjust the cap accordingly, yes it is more complicated than just the gross tax rate but it isn’t subjective everyone playing by the same rules in every jurisdiction and it is pretty easy for them to be able to figure out the exact number for each team that would balance thing out so that the different in take home pay between a player Ottawa and Dallas is insignificant which it isn’t right now.

it’s probably out of the think and did not really think it through but for adjusting the cap, maybe we can come up with a simpler way to reduce the difference. There is no way to have a perfect system.

Let’s brainstorm.

maybe we can divided the teams in three boxes :

no state tax or very low state tax = group 1
Average tax = group 2
Higher than average = group 3

group 1 has a clear advantage for maybe two main players with about 1 million per player less than market.
Group 2 = on market
Group 3 = probably has to overpaid about two main players for about 1 millions per player.

For depth, ELC and most RFA, we can argue the impact is lesser because less leverage by the player. It’s mostly for UFA’s and Elite player that difference hurt the most.

it’s not perfect but maybe we could raise the cap by 2 for group 3 and reduce by 2 for group 1. Group 3 = no change.

Obviously it would not remove completely the disparity but at least could somewhat limit it.

Obviously will not happens.

this issue does not seems on the radar.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Reactions: Kaperi Spacey

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
If they want to save the majority of it for the future retirement years yes. But if they want to buy toys, houses, and invest in business, they will be taxed on that money. Every player's situation is different in terms of what they want to do with their money... short and long term.

I trust players' agent and financial advisors more than random HF poster, so unless you can come up with an actual source to prove your point, you are simply pushing uninformed takes.

Reactions: Tighthead

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I trust players' agent and financial advisors more than random HF poster, so unless you can come up with an actual source to prove your point, you are simply pushing uninformed takes.

Seriously? Maybe you are taking the agents tweet out of context if you think they won't be taxed in the short term if the spend some of that money on a business investment, House, Toys or other things not day to day expenses.

If you invest most of that money for the long term and retirement years, that tweet is accurate. If you spend some of it in the short term, you will be taxed! It's not complicated. You can't escape taxes if you spend the money today. Pretty sure that tweet was talking about long term investment planning and not the overall pictures of how things are different with how each player wants to spend their money.

Radulov quote (Fact not opinion): He asked Bergevin for $1M more due to taxes. Are you saying Bergevin let him walk cause he believes what the agent in your tweet believes? Is that why he was pissed off and said... you want loyalty, buy a dog? So Bergevin was right and Radulov was trying to use the tax propaganda to get more money? :sarcasm:

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast

I think you are overlooking each players situation and how it's different. For example: If Tavares wanted to create a business in Toronto, he can't go on a road trip to anther city, take the money out of his investments, and escape Toronto tax bud.

This is more complicated than what you can find on the internet. I repeat... it comes down to short term spending vs long term investments and some of that planning (home vs road trips) are a factor yes. However, How much money do you think a typical NHL family spends a year? The ones who make more than $4M a year lets say? $500k per year? More or Less? If they are frugal with their money (in terms of their lifestyle), they can save a lot if most of the money is tied in future investments. However, if they want to spend big money on things outside of day to day living, they will be taxed on that money in the short term!

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
Seriously? Maybe you are taking the agents tweet out of context if you think they won't be taxed in the short term if the spend some of that money on a business investment, House, Toys or other things not day to day expenses.

If you invest most of that money for the long term and retirement years, that tweet is accurate. If you spend some of it in the short term, you will be taxed! It's not complicated. You can't escape taxes if you spend the money today. Pretty sure that tweet was talking about long term investment planning and not the overall pictures of how things are different with how each player wants to spend their money.

Radulov quote (Fact not opinion): He asked Bergevin for $1M more due to taxes. Are you saying Bergevin let him walk cause he believes what the agent in your tweet believes? Is that why he was pissed off and said... you want loyalty, buy a dog? So Bergevin was right and Radulov was trying to use the tax propaganda to get more money? :sarcasm:

Reactions: Captain Mountain

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
What about both Domi and Danault for Laine? Jets probably still say no or they would want to have extensions in place. They would have 14 players signed with about $15M in cap space left. Sign Brodie as a RD?

Habs then try to see if we can get Getzlaf from the Ducks. 50% retention and we trade the 16th OA plus grade B prospect? Getzlaf signs a 2 year extension to match Weber's time left?

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Not banging my head through this wall. I'm done here.

What don't you like about that question? Radulov is on record saying he did ask for $1M more due to taxes. Or was that Bergevin who said that?

This article is 100% false by Sportsnet? Tweets by CapFriendly and Lavoie completely false? Alexander Radulov signs five-year deal with Dallas Stars - Sportsnet.ca

Brian Burke as a former NHL GM is also completely wrong? Allan Walsh knows it all! I think this is more complex then you are willing to admit cause you found a tweet from an agent that fits your narrative and you want to ignore everything else

Last edited:

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Burke’s comments sounded a bit suspect... and I’m no accountant.

Is Burke frustrated on that like Bergevin cause Agents/Players try to take advantage of asking for more money due to taxes in Canada? :dunno:. If true, I guess NHL GM's can use Allan Walsh's tweets against him if his player tells him to ask for more money due to taxes. :sarcasm:

CauZuki

Feb 19, 2008
ROR, Hall, Subban, Kessel, got traded without grade A prospects going the other way.

But sure, include Caulfield in the package for Laine.

Patrik Laine just turned *checks notes*...22

22 years old that put up 40 goal seasons and just came off a strong season (where he demonstrated he isn't just a goal scorer) don't get traded unless a massive overpay.

tazsub3

May 30, 2016
Patrik Laine just turned *checks notes*...22

22 years old that put up 40 goal seasons and just came off a strong season (where he demonstrated he isn't just a goal scorer) don't get traded unless a massive overpay.
Or if there is an issue we not aware of

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad