HF Habs: 2020 Montreal Canadiens Off-Season Thread part 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
Posted this in the Out of Town Thread, but I feel it can also feed some conversations for the Habs' off-season:

EiNk9wJXkAgBFAz

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Ya too bad. We all know how Pietrangelo is just dying to play here. Just like Tavares. And Duchene. And every other good free agent available. Also we only have a measly 10 million in cap space. What a shame.

We have 10m in space the same way you have your full pay cheque on pay day. Theres still bills to pay. So, no, we don't have 10m in space since we have Domi to sign, and multiple forward spots without NHLers signed for them.

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
We have 10m in space the same way you have your full pay cheque on pay day. Theres still bills to pay. So, no, we don't have 10m in space since we have Domi to sign, and multiple forward spots without NHLers signed for them.
Who gives a f*** about Domi if one of the best defenseman in the NHL is willing to sign with us? You were literally just saying how you would rather have star players and a cheap depth in the last thread, you are being contradictory. Not to mention, we would obviously trade away someone(or some people) if Pietrangelo surprisingly wants to play here.

HabsWhiteKnightLOL

Apr 29, 2017
Somewhere on earth in a hospital
Who gives a f*** about Domi if one of the best defenseman in the NHL is willing to sign with us? You were literally just saying how you would rather have star players and a cheap depth in the last thread, you are being contradictory. Not to mention, we would obviously trade away someone(or some people) if Pietrangelo surprisingly wants to play here.
If Piet would be signing means Weber would be gone.

id Keep petry over weber anyday

WeThreeKings

Sep 19, 2006
Halifax

I'm not contradicting myself at all. We dont have 10 million in space, we have 11m available funds and we have multiple positions to fill to have 13 forwards.

We can absolutely make an offer and trade someone else later. But people think we are in a better financial position than we are.

HabsWhiteKnightLOL

Apr 29, 2017
I'd try to keep all 3. Put Petry on the left side to test it out, he could probably do it. I'd sooner trade Chiarot.
nah if Piet were to join the move would be Weber , pretty useless to keep close to 50m in salary for d-mans and goalies

Habs never tried to force Petry on the left with Weber. Why do it now when he needs an extension. Seems pretty bad

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
I'm not contradicting myself at all. We dont have 10 million in space, we have 11m available funds and we have multiple positions to fill to have 13 forwards.

We can absolutely make an offer and trade someone else later. But people think we are in a better financial position than we are.
You literally said how you would rather have Marner over Danault+Gally...etc or whatever. That would mean you have shit depth just like the Leafs right now. It's the exact opposite case if you want to sign Domi, Evans and Mete over one of the best dman in the league.

We got 7 dmen, 2 goalies and 10 forwards already signed. Logically speaking, we would trade away 1 dman and use the money for a forward or maybe 2. Also Alzner will be sent down which means we save money there too.

We are in a good financial position unless we decide to extend all of Petry, Danault, Tatar and Gallagher which I don't see happening.

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
nah if Piet were to join the move would be Weber , pretty useless to keep close to 50m in salary for d-mans and goalies

Habs never tried to force Petry on the left with Weber. Why do it now when he needs an extension. Seems pretty bad
Because they are trying to win? Weber, Pietrangelo, Petry, Chiarot/Edmundosn would probably be the best top 4 in the league. Price and Allen would probably be the best goalie tandem in the league. Even if Petry refuses to play LD(which I doubt, he seems like a great guy), I would still be hesitant to just trade him or Weber away. All 3 guys can carry a pairing, and doing so with all the defense pairings would be huge. They would all probably lead the dcore in ice time too.

HabsWhiteKnightLOL

Apr 29, 2017
Because they are trying to win? Weber, Pietrangelo, Petry, Chiarot/Edmundosn would probably be the best top 4 in the league. Price and Allen would probably be the best goalie tandem in the league. Even if Petry refuses to play LD(which I doubt, he seems like a great guy), I would still be hesitant to just trade him or Weber away. All 3 guys can carry a pairing, and doing so with all the defense pairings would be huge. They would all probably lead the dcore in ice time too.
still nobody to score goals , frontloaded 50m in the back end with 0 scoring forward.

This is an awful plan to keep all 3.

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
still nobody to score goals , frontloaded 50m in the back end.
Nobody scored goals for Dallas too, their defense and goaltending is doing the vast majority of the work. Even if the Habs are just an average goalscoring team like how they have been these last 2 years(also Pietrangelo would help this for sure), they likely do some serious damage with the defense and goaltending being top 3 or 5 in the league.

HabsWhiteKnightLOL

Apr 29, 2017
Nobody scored goals for Dallas too, their defense and goaltending is doing the vast majority of the work. Even if the Habs are just an average goalscoring team like how they have been these last 2 years(also Pietrangelo would help this for sure), they likely do some serious damage with the defense and goaltending being top 3 or 5 in the league.
take the only team in the last 10 years not scoring making it to the finals by accident and let's replicate the process.
Dallas having low scoring or not , still have way more skill than habs in the front.

Pietrangelo idea should be a no since signing another 5th dman at 3.5m.
Signing more def is not the way.

Anyways he won't sign with us. So heres the line.

Reactions: Tighthead

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
take the only team in the last 10 years not scoring making it to the finals by accident and let's replicate the process.
Dallas having low scoring or not , still have way more skill than habs in the front.

Pietrangelo idea should be a no since signing another 5th dman at 3.5m.
Signing more def is not the way.

Anyways he won't sign with us. So heres the line.
They were 3rd last in offense, how do they have more skill do they have? It's literally their offense and goaltending that didn't make them a bottom team in the league. I'm not replicating them, the Habs have been a better offensive team than them and adding Pietrangelo would result in more goals for too. Many teams that are average in goalscoring in the regular season do well in the playoffs. Having a top 3 defense and goalie tandem will be more than enough to compensate for average offense, it happens very frequently, not just this year.

Then you can trade Chiarot or something. You get one of the best dmen in the league first, and then worry about which mediocre player you have to trade away later.

CHfan1

Apr 23, 2012

An All-Canadian division would be not as top heavy compared to the Atlantic.

Right now Habs are probably 6th out of the 7 teams (ahead of Ottawa). Still lots of more talented players on those other Canadian teams than the Habs have.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal

Right now Habs are probably 6th out of the 7 teams (ahead of Ottawa). Still lots of more talented players on those other Canadian teams than the Habs have.

It's possible.

But last year:

- they beat Sens 3 out of 4 times. Losing their one game in OT.
- they beat the Leafs all 3 times.
- they played Jets twice, won once and lost the other game.
- they lost twice to the Oilers.
- they beat the Flames twice.
- they beat the Canucks once and lost their second game in OT.

They got 24 of a possible 30 points.

A division may end up being different. But Habs do well against the other Canadian teams.

Reactions: dralaf

CHfan1

Apr 23, 2012
It's possible.

But last year:

- they beat Sens 3 out of 4 times. Losing their one game in OT.
- they beat the Leafs all 3 times.
- they played Jets twice, won once and lost the other game.
- they lost twice to the Oilers.
- they beat the Flames twice.
- they beat the Canucks once and lost their second game in OT.

They got 24 of a possible 30 points.

A division may end up being different. But Habs do well against the other Canadian teams.

That’s pretty good. I think they have a better chance of finishing top 2 in an All-Canadian division. I think it’s pretty close between the top 6 teams and that division could finish in any order (with Ottawa last).

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017

As long as new jersey and Detroit aren't in their division, maybe they have a chance!

Reactions: Adam Michaels

WeThreeKings

Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
You literally said how you would rather have Marner over Danault+Gally...etc or whatever. That would mean you have shit depth just like the Leafs right now. It's the exact opposite case if you want to sign Domi, Evans and Mete over one of the best dman in the league.

We got 7 dmen, 2 goalies and 10 forwards already signed. Logically speaking, we would trade away 1 dman and use the money for a forward or maybe 2. Also Alzner will be sent down which means we save money there too.

We are in a good financial position unless we decide to extend all of Petry, Danault, Tatar and Gallagher which I don't see happening.

Man, you're always frothing at the mouth to start an argument that you are starting an argument with yourself over this.

I never said I wanted to do any of what you are suggesting (extend Domi, etc.) . You said we have 10m in cap, but we dont because we still have to sign players to fill 13F spots. So even if we paid league minimum for those guys, we have closer to 7m. Which isn't enough for Pietrangelo as it stands.

We would have to be proactive and trade one of Petry and Weber. The smart move would be to trade Weber over Petry but we know that MB wouldn't do that.

We can absolutely make a play on Pietrangelo and figure it out later. We don't have 10m in cap the same way we dont have a full pay cheque, when we get paid, because we still have to allocate money to our bills.

The Real Timo

Jun 18, 2019
We have 10M and no forwards that can score consistently.

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
Man, you're always frothing at the mouth to start an argument that you are starting an argument with yourself over this.

I never said I wanted to do any of what you are suggesting (extend Domi, etc.) . You said we have 10m in cap, but we dont because we still have to sign players to fill 13F spots. So even if we paid league minimum for those guys, we have closer to 7m. Which isn't enough for Pietrangelo as it stands.

We would have to be proactive and trade one of Petry and Weber. The smart move would be to trade Weber over Petry but we know that MB wouldn't do that.

We can absolutely make a play on Pietrangelo and figure it out later. We don't have 10m in cap the same way we dont have a full pay cheque, when we get paid, because we still have to allocate money to our bills.
Lol I'm laughing at your posts, not frothing at the mouth whatsoever. You are 100% contracting based on what you said in the last thread. No question about it.

It's 100% guaranteed a dman gets traded if Pie signs here, it literally makes no sense otherwise. You get cap space right there for the 2 forward positions. Alzner gets sent down which saves money for another forward at the start of the season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad