HF Habs: 2020 Montreal Canadiens Off-Season Thread part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
And let’s say they are in playoff contention come the deadline? What do you do? You can’t sell cuz that’s a big FU to the veterans. Can’t re-sign them all
That’s why at least 2 of the upcoming UFAs need to be dealt In the coming weeks
Domi is an RFA. So he or danualt must go
Tatar or Gallagher must go. Both too small
Keep armia, good 3rd liner with size
Our forward group needs an overhaul. It needs to start now

On the other hand, most past contracts were signed under the assumption the cap would rise. That helped get salaries higher. Now that the cap is flat, and almost no teams have enough cap space, new contracts may not have cap hits as high. There may not be a market for these players to get high salaries and we may be able to re-sign more of them than we think now, as new contracts start getting signed.

nyhabsfan

Jun 23, 2005
Connecticut
If the Oilers need to pay Athanasiou a $3.5 million and may let him walk, I think he would be a great fit with his speed with the Habs.

Image a line with Anthanasiou ---Domi--Byron as a 3rd line .

I think Danault will get traded for two reasons; his trade value is higher than Domi due to his two way game and his next contract after this year will be for $5-$6 million per which is too much for a two way center that will be playing down in the lineup which he already is not happy about.

Drouin --- Suzuki --- Gallagher
Tartar ----- KK--- Gallagher
Anthanasiou ---- Domi ----- Byron
Leky--- Evans----Armia

Phoeling and Caufield are one year away from joining this group... Caufield will replace Tartar and Phoeling can play LW or C if needed.

Could make a move for a RW scorer with Size and move Byron.

Chariot ---Weber
Edmondson --- Petry
Romanov --- Juulsen
Mete

Kulak is good trade bait considering his playoff performance... could our 16th Pick + Kulak + 2nd round pick move us into the top 10 in this draft?

Price
Allen -- great signing for 1 year until Primeau is ready!

Still have options to upgrade and take advantage of a team that needs to get under the cap?

Crazy thought... could BOTH Domi and Danault be gone if we can pry Kilorn away from Tamapa and also get Elhers in a trade?

Bergy has a opportunity to make a HUGE import and stop shopping of the Clearance rack.... should be a very interesting off-season and a very important one !

Reactions: VirginiaMtlExpat

Habs

We should have drafted Michkov
Feb 28, 2002
Max is the much better player.

You mean besides statistically? Because the last 5 years they are almost identical in points , pim and AG slaughters him on the PP. Both are hot garbage, I'm not sure how you could figure out which guy is the better player though. Domi has a lower IQ, I think AG can slam more Tequila.

VirginiaMtlExpat

Second most interesting man in the world.
Aug 20, 2003
Norfolk, VA
www.odu.edu
If the Oilers need to pay Athanasiou a $3.5 million and may let him walk, I think he would be a great fit with his speed with the Habs.

I think Danault will get traded for two reasons; his trade value is higher than Domi due to his two way game and his next contract after this year will be for $5-$6 million per which is too much for a two way center that will be playing down in the lineup which he already is not happy about.

Leky--- Evans----Armia

Phoeling and Caufield are one year away from joining this group... Caufield will replace Tartar and Phoeling can play LW or C if needed.

Could make a move for a RW scorer with Size and move Byron.

Chariot ---Weber
Edmondson --- Petry
Romanov --- Juulsen
Mete

Kulak is good trade bait considering his playoff performance... could our 16th Pick + Kulak + 2nd round pick move us into the top 10 in this draft?

Price
Allen -- great signing for 1 year until Primeau is ready!

Still have options to upgrade and take advantage of a team that needs to get under the cap?

Crazy thought... could BOTH Domi and Danault be gone if we can pry Kilorn away from Tamapa and also get Elhers in a trade?

Bergy has a opportunity to make a HUGE import and stop shopping of the Clearance rack.... should be a very interesting off-season and a very important one !
Maybe Kulak and Danault/Domi for AA and Poolparty. Instant influx of two young, promising wingers.

Edit: wouldn't have much sympathy for Danault in particular, getting traded to Edmonton, with his entitled comments.

Reactions: DAChampion

smirob

Jun 2, 2014

Leky--- Evans----Armia

Chariot ---Weber
Edmondson --- Petry
Romanov --- Juulsen
Mete

I'd love to clone Gallagher, but in all honesty I don't think thats a competetive roster. I do like Athanasiou - big speedy winger, fits what we need (also can play RW).

I'm hoping there's a name out there we havent heard that can help our top 6. I like players like Virtanen, Anderson, Greenway for a 3Rw position (at least to start), who are all available, but the lineup isn't looking like a playoff team with one of these guys added imho.

EDIT: Realize Greenway is a LW, still would be a good target

Last edited:

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
Yes to an impact UFA, can't say on Hall specifically (and don't particularly want Hoffman). Almost every team in the league is cutting salary and Montreal is one of three teams where money is no object. The Penguins are trying to get to 70M. If a team that's been as consistently good and always spends to the cap like Pittsburgh is trying to cut 10-15M in payroll what do we think the poorer teams in smaller markets are going to be doing?

If Montreal is offering real contracts with a 12M signing bonus the second the ink is dry and another in 12 months while other teams are trying to get cute offering Hall 7x7 of straight salary there is absolutely a realistic chance we could be in the running for a legitimate UFA talent. I don't even necessarily mean Hall/Krug/Pietrangelo, we're now at a point where even signing someone like Dadonov is going to require some cap maneuvering to make it all work and all we have to show for it is a depth D and a backup.

Alzner. He sucked and it was an obvious disaster but he was considered one of the best UFA dmen of the class and had the pedigree of being a long term top 4 guy who was drafted high.

Again half the league is cutting salary so this isn't necessarily true. Not that I think OEL is the guy but as an example if the Coyotes are trading him they won't want to take much money back.
If we have to flip around a little cap space to get Dadonov, so what? Sell off another salary at a discount. Other teams make room for their core, so can we.

You're right that this off season will skew UFA salaries across the board. Maybe I've been burned too many times, but I still can't believe the top free agents will choose Montreal, even if we offer slightly more. It's never been Bergevin's strength, plus I don't think he's confident in that large of an investment. He's been more successful with trades, which is why I think that's the route he'll go.

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
Yep, we could do a deal with Weber for Ehlers (Jets add)

and move one of Domi or Danault to Minne/Buf for their top 10 pick..

Suddenly, we have two high firsts in a good draft, improved our offense, and made our defense better and younger.

Danault isn't worth a top 10 pick and I highly doubt Domi is.

Habs Icing

Formerly Onice
Jan 17, 2004
Montreal

Leky--- Evans----Armia
If the cloning technology works why stop just at Gallagher?

Reactions: DAChampion

Jacobbai

Sep 18, 2020
With his 3M cap hit for one more year, Danault maybe interesting to many teams. Domi not so much since he is looking for a long term contract in the range of 6M and term. Some one with cap crunch and desperate for 2C will easily give up the Top 10 pick. Losing Danault and retaining Domi will make MTL defensive game and PK weaker and struggle in faceoffs. Tatar-Danault-Gally line is proven to click over two seasons. So more uncertainty there as well

Jacobbai

Sep 18, 2020
At the end of the day, it is cliche, but true-that you build throught the draft.

Imagine we would have developed at leaat one impactful player per draft since he started.

2012 to 2015 was horrible. Lehkonen is the only one to come out of those drafts and hes a 3rd/4th liner.

2016 We got Sergachev (Drouin). First time we get an impact player. Mete is trash and the only "nhl" player to come out of that draft.

2017 it starts getting better with Poehling,Fleury, Primeau etc but we are only going to start seeing those guys in the next couple of years

2018 and 2019. We seem to have drafted decently with a few guys rounding out nicely so far.

You can be the best GM at trading and asset management but at the end of the day, your star players have to be drafted OR you manage to attract them via free agency which hasnt been a strong point.
Mete is only 5 months older than Fleury and is not 'trash' when he turned 22 just 3 months back. If Habs dont want him, there will be other GMs who will be willing to punt on him. He is most likely available for just over league minimum bridge. (1 to 1.5 M)

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax

Kapanen went for 15th and a good prospect..

Both of the players we are offering, in this context, are better players and are centers, so, the Habs might need to add some small pieces of value back but it isn't out of the realm of possibility considering the market right now.

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
Kapanen went for 15th and a good prospect..

Both of the players we are offering, in this context, are better players and are centers, so, the Habs might need to add some small pieces of value back but it isn't out of the realm of possibility considering the market right now.

One player is traded for one price and another, similar player is dealt for more/less for no real reason.

If I were those teams I would be hesitant to trade that high if a first for either, more so Danault with his lack of control.

If the habs do deal them, mainly Danault I would look to a guy like Derek Grant

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad