2020 Jim Gregory GM of the Year winner: Lou Lamoriello

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
Nice that he won. Didn’t make any major moves but he changed the entire culture of the franchise.

is this supposed to be based on the regular season? If so, I could see why maybe people feel he shouldn’t have won it. If the votes were taken recently then the isles playoff run definitely influenced the votes.

Reactions: Thrasymachus

benedictTavares

JT's PJ's'
Jan 15, 2013
Scottsdale
Lou is a dinosaur.
giphy.gif

Mickey Marner

Jul 9, 2014
Dystopia
Nice that he won. Didn’t make any major moves but he changed the entire culture of the franchise.

is this supposed to be based on the regular season? If so, I could see why maybe people feel he shouldn’t have won it. If the votes were taken recently then the isles playoff run definitely influenced the votes.

Voting took place after round 2.

Coachcorner

Senor Martinez
Sep 28, 2017
:heart: Love it sire. Congratulations again Lou, you done did it again sire :clap: What a real man who understands the game with bravery. Never changed. Great humble speech too after the win. You gave isles what they needed. Pageau, Greene, Matt Martin, Komarov on the same plane with u since you left, varlamov. Etc. Hard team and they'll make you pay sire. Blessed by the best. YOU GOT THEM BARRY TROTZ TOO. What a steal and build up sire. Love this for life Lou. Thank you for giving us ice hockey and hard games back. Still hard. What.

seabass45

Jan 12, 2007
Oh okay, he won because the Islanders made the ECF. That would explain it.

They're the hot team right now and voters are idiots, that makes sense.
Also worth noting that for this award, the voters are mostly the other GMs (along with five additional execs and five media members).

Honestly it's a goofy award, but I hope those guys have fun with it.

Islander Class

Jun 30, 2018
South Carolina
Perhaps playoff run with a little bit of “Lifetime Achievement” element to this one- but Lou was certainly bold in letting Lehner walk, and making the Pageau trade & sign. Despite all the heat for both of those- his club is still playing. Seemingly an opportune time for the hockey community to tip their cap to a legend at least one more time...

JayDog16

Jan 19, 2019
He turned around a joke of an organization into something resembling a legitimate franchise. I think some people are understating that accomplishment. Being a general manager is about a lot more than playing fantasy hockey. I'm sure he did a lot behind the scenes resulting in this turnaround.

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka
He turned around a joke of an organization into something resembling a legitimate franchise. I think some people are understating that accomplishment. Being a general manager is about a lot more than playing fantasy hockey. I'm sure he did a lot behind the scenes resulting in this turnaround.

I think undeniably his greatest move was bringing in Trotz.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Lou took over a 80 point team in 17-18 with a losing culture and improved it to a 105 team with 1 playoff series win with a winning culture, to this year a team that is in the conference finals. In just 2 years. Pretty impressive what he has done in that time. For people that said he all he did was hire Trotz, yes he did that, that is an important function for a GM. He did do a lot more subtle things that all added up to a collective success. His greatest accomplishment was turning the Isles from a sorry Isles fans a Micky mouse organization under Garth Snow to one of the most respected Front offices including coaching in the NHL in just 2 years. That's no small feat.

Added to Hockey Operations

Trotz
Greco
Korn
Lambert
Hillier
Gruden
Pellegrini
Lemaire

Player signings, trades, and drafted

Pageau (Trade and signing)
Greene (Trade)
Martin(Trade)
Varly (UFA signing)
Komarov(UFA signing)
Brassard(UFA signing)
Nelson (UFA re-signing)
Lee (UFA re-signing)
Eberle (UFA re-signing)
Beauvillier(RFA signing)
Pulock (RFA signing)
Toews (RFA signing)
Kuhnhackl(UFA signing)
Dobson(Drafted)
Sorokin(RFA signed)
Lehner(UFA)last year, won Masterton, Vezina finalist

Islander Class

Jun 30, 2018
South Carolina

Totally agree. Lou correctly assessed the roster as not a full teardown post-Tavares- but rather containing many B/B+ players still in their primes that could collectively be much more with the correct organizational values, and coaching.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
For those that wondered. All 31 NHL GM's had a vote. 5 NHL hockey Executives and 5 media members rounded out the voting committee. In other words, the group that voted were very knowledgeable voters.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad