Injury Report: 2020 Injuries & Positive COVID-19 Tests Thread

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
sports during the pandemic will not work unless there's a bubble

we've still had a few instances of NBA players leaving the bubble to go out somewhere, so of course the MLB players will be stupid enough to go to strip clubs, bars, etc when they're still traveling. i don't see how this season continues much longer with all these positive tests

if the NFL wants a season, they should be planning out a bubble right now

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
There are a few people on twitter saying Molina and two others admitted to the front office they broke the rules in Minneapolis and went out to a strip club. Manfred is going to issue severe penalties here if this is confirmed to be true. Miami never released a statement but most seem to believe the players broke the protocol there too
Anyone who broke protocol so egregiously should be suspended for the season. Of course, what the protocol actually is seems to be vague at best

gnr25

May 22, 2008
Ottawa
Some of the Marlins could have become infected in Miami, especially if regulation enforcement was lax. It then spread through the team or maybe some caught the virus while in Atlanta.

Cas

Conversational Black Hole
Sponsor
Jun 23, 2020
I'm wondering how you even do a bubble(s) for MLB.

You have to expect each game to last three hours, plus preparation time between games, so you can realistically only play two games in each stadium per day. Baseball teams play every day, so that's two games, for four teams, per stadium. With 30 teams, you require 8 bubbles, and each team only plays against three other teams.

If you use spring training complexes (or use non-MLB facilities in or very near MLB facilities, like perhaps the Brooklyn Cyclones park), you can have more teams in each bubble.

Either way, it's difficult. The NHL has it easier, with fewer teams, time-limited games, and no/few back-to-back games.

Marc the Habs Fan

Nov 30, 2002
Longueuil
With what Passan reported (see the other thread), it looks like the entire season rests on this weekend...and whatever these players did over the last 10-14 days.

Gulp.

Last edited:

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007

LOL MLB still getting defensive. Yet like fifteen games have been postponed cause of that .2%...just wait till it gets to 1 or 2%.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002

LOL MLB still getting defensive. Yet like fifteen games have been postponed cause of that .2%...just wait till it gets to 1 or 2%.

Problem is, players gave them a reason to be. We know the owners don’t want a season, so the players can’t be ceding their moral high ground by going out to clubs and subsequently getting infected and spreading it.

The protocols that should have been in place got caught up in CBA politics.

Reactions: NJDevs26 and Voight

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street

I wouldn't be surprised if the owners force Manfred out if the season gets cancelled. They didn't really care to have one, but the last 2 months has been absolute nightmare for the sport. Actually the last 7, going back to the lax punishments he gave HOU/BOS.

Canes

Oct 31, 2017
An Oblate Spheroid
lol I wasn't expecting Manfred to come out and threaten to cancel the season only a week in. This season is doomed. There are too many stupid and selfish players to keep the case numbers down even with only a 60 . Now we move onto the clown shows in the NFL and college football if/when they don't cancel or come up with a competent plan to play. The lack of leadership in these huge organizations is shocking.

I wouldn't be surprised if the owners force Manfred out if the season gets cancelled. They didn't really care to have one, but the last 2 months has been absolute nightmare for the sport. Actually the last 7, going back to the lax punishments he gave HOU/BOS.
We can only hope, but I won't hold my breath.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Manfried isn’t going anywhere, this is what they want to happen.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007

Thing is they don't want to shitcan Manfred before the post-2021 CBA war since he's been their chief negotiator the last two decades.

Manfried isn’t going anywhere, this is what they want to happen.

I think most owners wanted a season of some sort. If there's 8-10 that didn't want to play at all (which would be a high number) that still leaves 20+ who did. They just wanted to pay as little as possible for one, that's why the threat of a 50-game season which became 60 because of the threat of the grievance, and that's also why MLB pretty much abdicated any oversight enforcing protocol, and have had insanely slow turnaround on tests.

lol I wasn't expecting Manfred to come out and threaten to cancel the season only a week in.

I mean he threatened to cancel the season less than a week after saying there was 100% going to be a season during both sides' stalling so...

Marc the Habs Fan

Nov 30, 2002
Longueuil
I am bracing myself for the Rosenthal or Passan tweet saying the season is cancelled.

Marlins lose one of their good young players for the season as he opts out:

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
LOL so the Cardinals are out for a week at least. I actually would not have had them in my top ten of teams that would be irresponsible, you would think a veteran team would know better. Miami would have definitely been in the top three at worst though since they're coming from a hot spot and are a young team.

Teemu

Caffeine Free Since 1919
Dec 3, 2002
Might as well just skip ahead to the part where we have a league-wide playoffs in a bubble

Timeless Winter

SaveD the Crew
Oct 13, 2006
Cleveland, Ohio
This f***in sucks. I remember one baseball analyst saying there's a zero percent chance they finish the season. I think it was Buster Olney. Sadly he was right.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad