GDT: 2020 HHOF Inductions June 24 - Alfredsson's 4th attempt. Start post #206

Erik Alfredsson

Beast Mode Cowboy!
Jan 14, 2012
He's unfortunately never going to get in, the Toronto media has always refused to acknowledge him.

Neil Patrick Harris

Now sponsored by Zoom™
Aug 23, 2008
Ottawa
Doesn't make it in his first year of eligibility = Never going to make it in boo Toronto boo

Let's calm down people. He's gonna get in eventually.

Explain to me how Kariya deserves it over Alfredsson.

His career being so marred by injuries does him no favours for sure, I suspect there were quite a few on the committee who liked the idea of sending both Selanne and Kariya to the hall at the same time.

If anything, I'd say that Kariya and Andreychuk making it in only helps establish that a player at Alfie's level should be a shoe-in when his time does come.

starling

Nov 7, 2010
Ottawa
Alfredsson will definitely get there but not on his first year of eligibility. Kariya had to wait 4 years for example.

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
Kariya over Alfredsson is a little odd

I have Kariya ahead of Alfie too.

At his peak, he was the best player in the league not named Lindros. He was robbed of his prime due to concussions - was never the same player after he left the Ducks, and has battled chronic symptoms very since.

Kariya was flat out one of the best players of the 90's. He absolutely deserves to be in, and I love Alfie as much as the next Sens fan, but Kariya was the better player when he was healthy.

Explain to me how Kariya deserves it over Alfredsson.

If you saw Kariya in his prime, you wouldn't need to ask this question.

I understand that a lot of people here (not all, but some) are young enough that maybe they only really remember the tail end of Kariya's career. You had to see him on those old Ducks team, before Scott Stevens made an omelette out of his brains, to appreciate how unbelievably good he was.

ATdaisuki

Dec 4, 2012
Ottawa
great year for the sens!
-don't get first in the division
-short a goal of the cup finals
-karlsson doesn't get the norris
-possible injuries to start next season (karlsson, brassard)
-methot gone in the expansion draft
-alfie doesn't get into the hhof

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
I think Anderychuk is much less deserving than Kariya.

Andreychuk has the longevity and the numbers. Just played forever at a good (but never really elite) pace. He's the "Mike Gardner" candidate.

Kariya was far and away the better player, and it's not particularly close as far as I'm concerned.

saskriders

Can't Hold Leads
Sep 11, 2010
Calgary
Andreychuk has the longevity and the numbers. Just played forever at a good (but never really elite) pace. He's the "Mike Gardner" candidate.

Kariya was far and away the better player, and it's not particularly close as far as I'm concerned.

That is pretty much why I think Andreychuk is less deserving than Kariya (and Alfredsson). I have no problem with longevity guys getting in, but it shouldn't be at the expense of better players.

OD99

Oct 13, 2012
I watched bith and certainly wouldn't say that Kariya was much better if at all than Alfie.

Different players as well but Alfie more complete in my book.

starling

Nov 7, 2010
Ottawa
Again, Kariya wasn't selected AHEAD of Alfredsson. If Alfredsson gets passed on for 3 more yeas then one could say that.

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
I have Kariya ahead of Alfie too.

At his peak, he was the best player in the league not named Lindros. He was robbed of his prime due to concussions - was never the same player after he left the Ducks, and has battled chronic symptoms very since.

Kariya was flat out one of the best players of the 90's. He absolutely deserves to be in, and I love Alfie as much as the next Sens fan, but Kariya was the better player when he was healthy.

If you saw Kariya in his prime, you wouldn't need to ask this question.

I understand that a lot of people here (not all, but some) are young enough that maybe they only really remember the tail end of Kariya's career. You had to see him on those old Ducks team, before Scott Stevens made an omelette out of his brains, to appreciate how unbelievably good he was.

I agree with all of this

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad