Patriots/NFL 2020 - Football is back

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gator Mike

Feb 28, 2002
Woburn, MA
Visit site
Patriots Mailbag: How High Are Pats On Jarrett Stidham At Quarterback?

Here’s another nugget: I was told after the draft that the Patriots like Stidham more than they liked Jimmy Garoppolo

And I know what you’re thinking: “typical Patriots spin.” That ain’t it. This isn’t coming from someone who stands to gain anything by pumping up the Patriots.

The Patriots have now not re-signed Tom Brady, passed on trading for Nick Foles, didn’t sign Teddy Bridgewater, Case Keenum, Phillip Rivers, Marcus Mariota or Jameis Winston and have shown no interest in Newton.

What further proof do you need that the Patriots really, really like Stidham?

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut

Great quote from the article. Its kind of amazing how many people overlook Stidham just because he wasn't a 1st round pick or a flashy name. Funny thing is I find more of those high profile QB's don't actually have success:

2018 1st round QB's
Baker Mayfield
Sam Darnold
Josh Allen
Josh Rosen
Lamar Jackson

^Only Jackson has shown that he could be something

2017 1st round QB's
Mitch Trubisky
Patrick Mahomes

^Mahomes is elite, but Mitch has already lost his starting job.

2016 1st round QB's
Jared Goff
Carson Wentz
Paxton Lynch

^Goff is an average QB and Wentz seems to get hurt before the playoffs every year

2015 1st round QB's
Jameis Winston
Marcus Mariota

^Both guys lost their starting jobs and are with new teams

2014 1st round QB's
Blake Bortles
Johnny Manziel
Teddy Bridgewater

^Bridgewater is getting a second chance, but the other two are busts.

So in the last 5 years there were 15 QB's taken in the 1st round and very few are anything special. Its kind of crazy to see how unsuccessful 1st round QB's have been over the last 5 years lol.

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
I’m tellin y’all, people are sleeping on Josh Allen

He’s erratic at times but the dude was still responsible for 29 touchdowns (9 rushing) vs 9 picks in year 2 after not facing much high level competition in college. He hasn’t had a premium target until now. I think he’s incredibly tough. I think the guy is primed to break out

Reactions: LouJersey

Gator Mike

Feb 28, 2002
Woburn, MA
Visit site

He’s erratic at times but the dude was still responsible for 29 touchdowns (9 rushing) vs 9 picks in year 2 after not facing much high level competition in college. He hasn’t had a premium target until now. I think he’s incredibly tough. I think the guy is primed to break out
He plays with zero situational awareness, and his decision-making skills are questionable, at best.

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
He plays with zero situational awareness, and his decision-making skills are questionable, at best.

10-6 year two with minimal offensive weapons, it’s a good defense but I wouldn’t say he has zero situational awareness. Guy wins games

just plays like shit against New England lol

We’ll see I guess. He’s for sure the best qb in the division imo

Reactions: LouJersey

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut
10-6 year two with minimal offensive weapons, it’s a good defense but I wouldn’t say he has zero situational awareness. Guy wins games

I just don't see it with Allen and that 10-6 I'd give more credit to the defense than anything:

Points For - 23rd
Points Against - 2nd

They also did more damage on the ground then through the air.

Pass Yards - 23rd
Rush Yards - 8th

Pass TD's - 24th
Rush TD's - 18th

Allen wasn't beating team with his arm, he was just able to scramble out of bad situations. That works for a year or two, but eventually defenses will adjust and force him to throw the ball...which is isn't great at. Of the 32 QB's that started 8 or more games...

Cmp% - 32nd (dead last)
Yrd - 23rd
TD - 23rd
INT - 16th
Y/A - 26th
QBR - 24th

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
Can’t discount his rushing game. He’s got over 1100 yards and 17 tds in 2 years, that’s huge from a QB. He’s a legitimate threat

his short game is all over the place but I honestly think he’s the best in the division (not saying much) and him getting Diggs and Moss is only going to do great things for him

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut
Can’t discount his rushing game. He’s got over 1100 yards and 17 tds in 2 years, that’s huge from a QB. He’s a legitimate threat

his short game is all over the place but I honestly think he’s the best in the division (not saying much) and him getting Diggs and Moss is only going to do great things for him

No you can't discount his rush game, just like you can't discount is lack of a passing game. I also think you cant discount just how good the Buffalo defense was last year at keeping them in games.

Last edited:

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017

I'm bullish on Sammy D. Kid has the talent and is a better natural passer than Allen.

Reactions: CDJ

N o o d l e s

Jul 17, 2010
South Shore
It’s a great defense, no doubt.

we shall see though. I expect him to do quite well

They also benefit from not winning the division last year. Their schedule should be easier than ours as they'll play the Steelers and Titans (who I think are going to be disappointing after this past year's run) instead of the Ravens and Texans.

Reactions: CDJ

yazmybaby

Sep 13, 2015
Brampton ON, Canada

I agree with Gator Mike about Josh Allen. Last years performance against the Titans showed his lack of situational awareness. Allen's QB rating was 85.3 last year, 29th in the league. How much better do you think Allen is going to get now they have Diggs? All teams need to do is to put their best CB on Diggs and or double team him, once this is done, it's the QB awareness that takes over, which will be his shortfall. I think the Bills as a team will improve next year predicting an 11-5 season for them. They are the favorites to win the division and my get past the first round of the playoffs then will be out.
Being a huge Pats fan, our season 100% depends on Stidham. I trust our defence will keep us in any game, question is can we put up enough points to win?
We can go as low as 4-12 next year, or as high as 9-7 I think.

Gator Mike

Feb 28, 2002
Woburn, MA
Visit site
Jarrett Stidham Is the Reason the Patriots Didn't Draft a Quarterback in 2020

"People around the league can't help but think of some great Patriots conspiracy that they'll trade up for a quarterback," an AFC pro scout said. "First it was Baker [Mayfield], then it was Tua. Spoiler alert: They really like Stidham."

Rumors started circling at the NFL Scouting Combine in late February that the Patriots were ready for life after Brady should he decide to walk in free agency, with one top agent telling me that he was trying to set up calls with New England to talk about his free agency or quarterback prospects in the draft.

Those calls, per the agent, came and went without a response from the Patriots. "They like the guy they have," he told me in a predraft call.

Speaking to scouts pre- and post-draft this April, many believe that Stidham was better than Jordan Love as a prospect and would have ranked as the No. 3 or 4 quarterback in the 2020 class—behind only Joe Burrow and Tua Tagovailoa.

"Let's not forget that after his junior season the kid looked like a first-rounder, then Auburn ruined him in '18 with that terrible supporting cast," said an SEC area scout.

Said the one Patriots staffer who would return a text for this piece, "Go ahead and get excited about him."

Why did the Patriots pass on every quarterback outside of the top three? Why didn't they package their stockpile of draft capital to move up for a quarterback?

Simple—it's because they already have their guy. This is Jarrett Stidham's team now.

JRull86

Jan 28, 2009
South Shore

He's wildly inaccurate, and that's not exactly something that can be taught.

My friends who's a Bills fan is convinced they'll move on from him after this year if he doesn't take the next step given they've added a premium WR in Diggs.

Smitty93

Dec 6, 2012
He's wildly inaccurate, and that's not exactly something that can be taught.

My friends who's a Bills fan is convinced they'll move on from him after this year if he doesn't take the next step given they've added a premium WR in Diggs.

Just wanted to add to this. Someone on Reddit did research several years ago about QB accuracy. The magic number is 58.5%. That is, if a college QB has a completion % below 58.5% in their final year of college, then they're most likely going to be bad in the NFL. From 2002-2014, there were 31 QBs drafted with a completion % of 58.5% or worse, and just one of them (David Garrard) ended up becoming a decent stater.

Josh Allen had an impressive 56.2% in his final year. The only other QB drafted high recently who was below 58.5% was NY Jets legend, Christian Hackenberg. (FYI, Lamar Jackson was just above at 59.1%, so he's not included).

The talk about Allen at the draft was that he had sky high potential, and maybe he does, but he has a long way to go.

JRull86

Jan 28, 2009
South Shore

I think you can discount it. Look how HOU turned the game around in the second half of their playoff game.

They stacked the box, and made him have to throw.

The result? 6 points, barely over 100 yards of offense.

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
I think you can discount it. Look how HOU turned the game around in the second half of their playoff game.

They stacked the box, and made him have to throw.

The result? 6 points, barely over 100 yards of offense.

yeah but it’s also his 2nd year with John brown and Cole Beasley as #1 receiver and #2 receivers and absolutely nothing behind that, the fact he was in the playoffs is good enough for me

I mean people complain about Brady’s lack of weapons, I’d argue he had more to work with last year than Josh Allen did

Guys got a #1 and Moss in for Gore now. Do not sleep on that team and do not sleep on that quarterback, they’re gonna win football games

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad