2020 Entry Draft Thread Part 6

Status
Not open for further replies.

DramaticGloveSave

Voice of Reason
Apr 17, 2017
The more I think about it, being promised 8 and having the chance to go on a cup run is an amazing scenario for the Habs.

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
They could do the lotto before hand... and have all the play in teams part of the lotto...

Bottom line: nothing is in stone yet, so let's save the freakouts until we know.

There's enough floating around and coming from the NHL to know we are screwed out of our pick. We are considered a 'play-off' team now.

VirginiaMtlExpat

Second most interesting man in the world.
Aug 20, 2003
Norfolk, VA
www.odu.edu
Many of you seem convinced that we could squeeze past the Penguins, if indeed we are playing them first. I honestly doubt it. They had arguably the top goalie in the league this year, and some players who are absolutely formidable, starting with Crosby, Malkin and Letang, who don't have their equivalent on our squad. Plus it looks like they will have Guentzel back for the playoffs, if they happen. And finally, I just don't see the Habs coach outmaneuvering the Pens' coach. In my mind, that 8th pick is still forthcoming.

Reactions: Habs Icing

McGees

Jun 15, 2016
Many of you seem convinced that we could squeeze past the Penguins, if indeed we are playing them first. I honestly doubt it. They had arguably the top goalie in the league this year, and some players who are absolutely formidable, starting with Crosby, Malkin and Letang, who don't have their equivalent on our squad. Plus it looks like they will have Guentzel back for the playoffs, if they happen. And finally, I just don't see the Habs coach outmaneuvering the Pens' coach. In my mind, that 8th pick is still forthcoming.
We won 1, lost one and lost another in OT. Definitely a possibility. But yes my $ is on Habs losing obviously.

LastWordArmy

Sep 11, 2011
Canada
Emil Heineman Scouting Report: 2020 NHL Draft #76

Forward Emil Heineman dominated the Swedish junior leagues this past season. He put up 26 goals and 15 assists for 41 points in just 29 games in the Under-20 SuperElit. He had the most goals and points of any player in the Under-20 North of the SuperElit. This earned him a call-up to Leksands IF in the SHL. Heineman put up just two assists in 11 games but was only seeing limited ice time as he adjusts to Sweden’s top men’s league. He also played four games for the Swedish Under-19 National team, putting up two goals and three assists for five points.

It was a big improvement over 2018-19 when Heineman had just one goal and four assists for five points in 27 games in the SuperElit. He also put up four goals and two assists for six points in six games, as well as one goal and two points in two playoff games in the J18 league. Heinemann comes from good bloodlines. He is the youngest of four brothers who have all played professional hockey in Sweden.

Anton Johannesson Scouting Report: 2020 NHL Draft #77

Injured over much of the last two years, Swedish defenceman Anton Johannesson might be flying under the radar when it comes to 2020 Draft prospects. Playing in the HV71 system, Johannesson put up three goals and three assists for six points in five games in the J18 league. Clearly dominating at that level, he moved up to the Sweden’s top Under-20 league, the SuperElit where he scored eight goals and 16 assists for 24 points in 20 games. He also had two points in four games at the Junior Club World Cup. Johannesson played big minutes of the HV71 J20 top pair with fellow 2020 NHL Draft prospect Emil Andrae. He also played two games for Sweden’s U18 national team, appearing at the Five Nations Tournament.

In 2018-19 Johannesson played eight games in the SuperElit putting up one goal and one assist. He also played three games in the J18, picking up two assists. Johannesson represented Sweden in the Under-17 World Hockey Challenge, picking up one goal and three points in five games and winning a bronze medal. In 2017-18 he was one of the best players in the Under-16 league, scoring 10 goals and 32 points in 14 games.

Reactions: Fenris

TT1

May 31, 2013
Montreal
there's a ton of high skill small prospects in this years draft, way more relative to previous years

it'll be interesting to see which ones pan out

McGees

Jun 15, 2016
Honestly, unless one of the Swedes drop, 8-12 is pretty similar to me. I'm not high on Perfetti's game so would be fine with Quinn, Jarvis or Sanderson if we end up getting bumped down.

WeThreeKings

Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Is it confirmed? I haven't read anything that says that they are definitely not doing it.

There's no movement on it.. basically they wanted to do an early draft and change the lottery to guarantee Detroit/Ottawa the top 3 picks and it got shot down. Everything since has been focused on this bastardized format, so it seems like they won't do the draft any time soon with so much variation to come.

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
There's no movement on it.. basically they wanted to do an early draft and change the lottery to guarantee Detroit/Ottawa the top 3 picks and it got shot down. Everything since has been focused on this bastardized format, so it seems like they won't do the draft any time soon with so much variation to come.
Ah ok, thanks. It's really not the end of the world not drafting 8th tbh. Teams like the Bruins and St.Louis are contenders without needing top 10 picks, it's just that the idiot in charge of the draft hasn't drafted a damn thing. Don't get me wrong, I'd much prefer that we draft in the top 10 rather than winning 3-5 playoff games and picking 16th, but we need to be able to draft some elite talent without a top 10 pick anyways.

Spearmint Rhino

Sep 17, 2013
They can play on separate lines to have an elite scoring threat on each line. Plus I think Holtz is better in the d-zone than Caulfield.
Point was more nobody on the back end to move the puck out of our end - Weber can’t do it, Petry declines over the season and showing his age, Mete has been average at best, Chiarot can’t do it, Kulak can’t do it, Romanov might be able to but unknown, rest like Fleury, Juulsen, Struble, Harris are all maybes. With Gally occupying RW in the top 6 I’d rather have a potential first pairing LHD than a 3rd line RW.

WeThreeKings

Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Ah ok, thanks. It's really not the end of the world not drafting 8th tbh. Teams like the Bruins and St.Louis are contenders without needing top 10 picks, it's just that the idiot in charge of the draft hasn't drafted a damn thing. Don't get me wrong, I'd much prefer that we draft in the top 10 rather than winning 3-5 playoff games and picking 16th, but we need to be able to draft some elite talent without a top 10 pick anyways.

No, but we are a 3-5 game hot streak away from picking 16th which is bogus.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad