2020 Entry Draft Thread Part 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Maitz

Aug 3, 2006
Montreal
I think Lundell will be gone before our pick. I just have a feeling a team will pick him around 5-6

SOLR

Jun 4, 2006
Toronto / North York
lol he is nothing like McCarron, there is 0 comparison to be made... MacCarron was an awkward skater and stickhandler, he was slow footed and had limited IQ... Holloway is a smooth and powerful skater with excellent hands, has a very high IQ and is certainly skilled enough to play on a solid top 6... Granato rightfully called him his best player since Christmas, kid has been making things happen about ever shifts since moved back to wing, he generates offense while playing a strong 200 ft. game, will never hurt you defensively with a bad decision, bad pass or whatever, I sincerely dont recall the last time he turned a puck over... He is a puck possession beast in the mold of Armia, he has a strong active stick, but his offensive instincts are at a much higher level... Lately he has been playing RW on a line with Caufield where Caufield is playing the other wing, cant say they have insane chimestry, but at least the line is overall solid and the kid creates more time and space for Caufield to make his plays, so clearly, Holloway is the type of player Habs need... Enough undersized fowards, its now time to beef up, it would be extremmely stupid to draft another smurf if you have the chance to draft a guy like Holloway, Lundell or Quinn with our first...

"Very high IQ" this is where you lost me. He has a good IQ, if he had a "very high IQ" he would easily be top 3.

Are Jack Quinn numbers a byproduct of Rossi skills ?

A result of the very strong squad, strong even without Rossi.

Not at all, they are not even playing on the same line... PP is stacked though...

"Not at all" the fact that a secondary talent plays on another line as the top talent frees up the best Ds completely from Quinn's life. Whoever will get Quinn in the top 10 will regret it for a long time. He's a late 2nd- 3rd rounder to me.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Frank JT

Spacehabs

Mar 3, 2020
To resume, if Habs pick at #9.
Lindell is the high floor low ceiling, 2 way center that could reach his potential to a bottom 6 guys cause of his skating
Holloway is the powerfoward with some upside that could be a gem or end up as a bottom 6 player with some grit.
Perfetti is the homerun or bust guy who can be a top 6 or don't play at all because of his skating and his physics.
Sanderson is the defenceman with top 4 ceiling but can contribute on a top 6 eventually because of his back skating and his passes.

Look to not be sure fire for the habs this year if we don't get a top 3 spot...

Le Barron de HF

Justin make me proud
Mar 12, 2008
Shawinigan
Don't know if this topic has been discussed in the previous pages, but, say the U18's get cancelled as a result of the Coronavirus. Considering how crucial this draft is for our team, are you confident enough in the scouting staff that we'd come out on top of this proverbial scouting problem rather than the opposite? (Obviously I realize that the U18's are not everything but it helped Kotka's case for him being drafted by us)

Pompeius Magnus

May 18, 2014
Kanata ,ON
Don't know if this topic has been discussed in the previous pages, but, say the U18's get cancelled as a result of the Coronavirus. Considering how crucial this draft is for our team, are you confident enough in the scouting staff that we'd come out on top of this proverbial scouting problem rather than the opposite? (Obviously I realize that the U18's are not everything but it helped Kotka's case for him being drafted by us)
In recent memory, it played a big role with McCarron as well. He showed he had decent hands at that tournament and I remember it being mentioned as a key factor pushing him from the early second round to the late first.

Reactions: Le Barron de HF

Ezpz

No mad pls
Apr 16, 2013
Probably better for us to not evaluate a prospect on a 5-6 game sample. Many around the league wanted Zach Nastasiuk who has done nothing since his great tournament a few years back. He's the shining example in my mind for some reason.

McGees

Jun 15, 2016
"Very high IQ" this is where you lost me. He has a good IQ, if he had a "very high IQ" he would easily be top 3.

A result of the very strong squad, strong even without Rossi.

"Not at all" the fact that a secondary talent plays on another line as the top talent frees up the best Ds completely from Quinn's life. Whoever will get Quinn in the top 10 will regret it for a long time. He's a late 2nd- 3rd rounder to me.
48g / 83 points in 59 games is one hell of a 3rd rounder no matter who he plays with on any line.

Reactions: JAVO16 and 1000eeer

SpeedyPotato

Mar 29, 2012
Craig Button has been really pushing this angle for the last little while. He thinks Jack Quinn should be who Habs should draft to add some scoring depth.
I hate these two words "scoring depth". This implies we actually have primary scoring... That's what I want out of this draft, primary scoring, not depth.

Reactions: NotProkofievian

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
I hate these two words "scoring depth". This implies we actually have primary scoring... That's what I want out of this draft, primary scoring, not depth.

With Caufield, they will have another goal scorer in Jack Quinn is what I meant by depth. Not that they have it in spades at the moment. But that they drafted Caufield because they need scoring. If they draft Quinn, they can add to Caufield.

Reactions: SpeedyPotato

SpeedyPotato

Mar 29, 2012
With Caufield, they will have another goal scorer in Jack Quinn is what I meant by depth. Not that they have it in spades at the moment. But that they drafted Caufield because they need scoring. If they draft Quinn, they can add to Caufield.
I agree that Caufield is probably a step in the right direction, I guess we'll see, it's just hard not become cynical these days with the promises.

Reactions: Adam Michaels

bcv

My french sucks.
Sep 18, 2010
What is the deal with Danila Galenyuk? Same age as Romanov but plays more than him in the KHL. Was excellent in the WJC.

As far as I know, he’s not drafted by anyone. Is he worth a late round pick?

SOLR

Jun 4, 2006
Toronto / North York
:laugh:

Come on dude, you should start watching the kid play instead of posting such crap...

I did, as I'm looking at Rossi. Fact is, my overall view of defensive play in the OHL this year is very bad. We are seeing LOTS of guys post insane totals they should never be able to post. Not sure what is happening with the defensive game in Ontario.

Stop throwing crap around like it means nothing, I just disagreed with you.

calder candidate

Feb 25, 2003
Montreal
Visit site

We hadn’t had much success with guys having catch our scout eyes at the U18, kostitsyn, McCarron, Ikonen, KK... so maybe it would be a good think... One tourney can help confirmed stuff but it is only one tourney.

Reactions: Le Barron de HF

McGees

Jun 15, 2016
Mercer ranked 12th on ISS. Can totally see the French media going hard on pressuring Habs to take him.

McGees

Jun 15, 2016
Yeah like we've never seen this before. Corey Locke?
naming one player from 20 years ago doesn’t really change the point especially since it was a lot harder for small players in that era...and Quinn isn’t small.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad