2020 Entry Draft Thread Part 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tim Wallach

Oct 9, 2007
Kitchener, Ontario
We don't have one legit top pairing prospect. Not sure how drafting a D would be bad in any way. That being said, I don't want a D we could get at #20 in the top 10.

I'm not sure we can say that with authority yet as there are guys with high ceilings who are far from fully formed. I'm also not 100% convinced that Drysdale is the elite top pairing guy many think. He certainly can be, but it's no guarantee. He has a long way to come yet.

SOLR

Jun 4, 2006
Toronto / North York
Also meant to ask - I haven't seen Sanderson at all. What scares you so much?

He's great defensively, but he's not the kind of guy that takes over a game offensively and defensively (in the same game). Drysdale and Schneider have both proven this ability.

Great player, you just don't draft a shutdown D in the top 10 imo. We have Romanov, that's what Romanov is, we need a 2 way guy to replace Petry and Weber.

Reactions: Tim Wallach

Tim Wallach

Oct 9, 2007
Kitchener, Ontario
He's great defensively, but he's not the kind of guy that takes over a game offensively and defensively (in the same game). Drysdale and Schneider have both proven this ability.

Great player, you just don't draft a shutdown D in the top 10 imo. We have Romanov, that's what Romanov is, we need a 2 way guy to replace Petry and Weber.

Thanks. I agree. If you're picking top-10 and opt for a D, he better be a pretty sure-fire top-pairing guy. ie. Above average offensively and defensively.

And don't get me wrong. I wouldn't hate picking Drysdale by any stretch. I just think there are more warts there than some realize and we're not looking at an instant star there.

SOLR

Jun 4, 2006
Toronto / North York
Thanks. I agree. If you're picking top-10 and opt for a D, he better be a pretty sure-fire top-pairing guy. ie. Above average offensively and defensively.

And don't get me wrong. I wouldn't hate picking Drysdale by any stretch. I just think there are more warts there than some realize and we're not looking at an instant star there.

I don't think Drysdale has that many warts. When you look at him in juniors, don't forget who he's playing with (much worse than him). We saw at the WJC what happens when he's surrounded, he's a Neidermayer type (obviously far from Neids).

Schneider, I had him at 12-13, until I heard a few interviews, This is a leader, probably a captain. And he will be in the NHL soon, big big man. He just missed last year's draft so he's like Lafreniere on this.

Adding Romanov and Schneider in 2 years, would enable us to trade at least Petry.

Reactions: Tim Wallach

FrankMTL

Jan 6, 2005
We don't have one legit top pairing prospect. Not sure how drafting a D would be bad in any way. That being said, I don't want a D we could get at #20 in the top 10.

Drysdale or Schneider. Stay the f*** away from Sanderson.

I know you really like Schneider, and i'm assuming you've seen him plenty of times which is the reasoning behind this, but why do you think most of the draft sites have him pegged mid/end of the first round?

SOLR

Jun 4, 2006
Toronto / North York
I know you really like Schneider, and i'm assuming you've seen him plenty of times which is the reasoning behind this, but why do you think most of the draft sites have him pegged mid/end of the first round?

His offensive success in juniors is not total. If he was PPG he would be top 5 easily. I think that's the main conversation, what is the true offensive upside with him. I think that's fair.

I'm not hyper concerned because of how he gets his offense seems scalable (IQ) and seems to benefit from playing with better players.

Reactions: FrankMTL
Aug 25, 2009
éal
As per LNH.com today mock draft we would pick Alexander Holtz

i don’t know much about him but it seems like it would fill a good need, we lack goal scorer

A55P2

Jul 14, 2009
Québec, Québec
From what I'm reading and have seen Holtz would be a good fit. We need some shooter on the team. Having Caufield and him would be nice. I still prefer Rossi to him, but I'm just very optimistic about us getting a quality player anyway!

Reactions: Frank JT

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
I would be pretty mad if we drafted either with our 1st

I don't think the offense is really there for Schneider to be chosen with our first, but he stood out to me whenever I've watched him. Actually when I was scouting Zary I watched a game against Brandon and Schneider was the best player on the ice. Sanderson has never impressed me in the same way, although he's always been good whenever I've watched him.

I actually think Smilanic might have the highest upside of all the USNTDP dmen. Homeboy can skate.

Reactions: Le Barron de HF

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
I would really like to move up to draft Lapierre if he fall out of the top 20. He would be a really nice gamble.

I could see it as I would assume he falls out of the top 20 and MB could buy some cred with the media and some local fans if he were to land a quality local kid with the draft being at the Bell Center, assuming of course we didn't win the lottery for 1st OA as it would be something he could tout. The well we didn't get Laf but we got this local kid that we think is really good so go watch his youtube videos and get excited for the 2024 season.

I really hope this is the year he trades up though, with 14 picks you just don't need so many picks as there are just throwing them away since several won't be signed anyway and we need better talent not more darts. I'm not saying it has to be Lapierre as I don't care where a player is from as long as they get us someone that will help us win at some damn point. But he could present a situation where teams pass on him not wanting to take the risk too early an perhaps we end up with a very good player. I recall liking him the most when I watched Houde last year, at 16 he stood out every time but I didn't see a lot of him. That said the one team I fear for this draft in f***ing us over is the sens as they are set up so well.

Reactions: Vachon23

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
I could see it as I would assume he falls out of the top 20 and MB could buy some cred with the media and some local fans if he were to land a quality local kid with the draft being at the Bell Center, assuming of course we didn't win the lottery for 1st OA as it would be something he could tout. The well we didn't get Laf but we got this local kid that we think is really good so go watch his youtube videos and get excited for the 2024 season.

I really hope this is the year he trades up though, with 14 picks you just don't need so many picks as there are just throwing them away since several won't be signed anyway and we need better talent not more darts. I'm not saying it has to be Lapierre as I don't care where a player is from as long as they get us someone that will help us win at some damn point. But he could present a situation where teams pass on him not wanting to take the risk too early an perhaps we end up with a very good player. I recall liking him the most when I watched Houde last year, at 16 he stood out every time but I didn't see a lot of him. That said the one team I fear for this draft in f***ing us over is the sens as they are set up so well.

With two early 2nds he should be able to trade one into the late 1st, or both to get a slightly earlier pick.

Realistically he'll trade the layers 2nd for a 3rd an another pick, trade the late 3rd for an early 4th and another pick, then trade some late picks for picks next year.

waitin425

Jan 10, 2009
Canada
First two rounds, thats what im wishing for.. What about you guys!?!(keep it realistic)

8-Holtz
39- Foerster
40-Nybeck
60- Villeneuve

I am not shitting you.....saw this...thought....Ill give it a shot....went to tankathon….ran the sim once thinking Ill post even if we drop to 9 or 10, and.....

1 - Lafreniere
39 - Schneider/Poirier/Cormier/O'Rourke/Wallinder (hope one of these falls...select in this order)
40 - Lukas Reichel
60 - Luke Evangelista

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad