OT: 2020 Draft - Who do you want?

Who do you want with the 2020 1st round draft pick?

• Daniel Torgersson (F)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Thomas Bordeleau (F)

• Helge Grans (D)

• Rodion Amirov (F)

• Vasili Ponomarev (F)

• Yan Kuznetsov (D)

• Justin Barron (D)

• Shakir Mukhamadullin (D)

• Brendon Brisson (F)

• Total voters

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Benson is like our safest bet to make the NHL. Just because he didn't steal a stop in the top 6 doesn't mean there isn't a role for him on the bottom. You have to give guys more than a handful of games before drawings conclusions
I think he can make it as a bottom 6 guy but I think his chances of being a top 6 guy has plummeted heavily. His skating simply isn't good enough and isn't improving fast enough for him to play his game at this level. He is smart enough to adapt it to a bottom 6 role but hopes of him being a top 6 winger are pretty much gone

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Guhle is better than dime a dozen. Come on.
Guy is second pairing potential. Which is fine but we absolutely do not need ANOTHER guy like that. We already spent a high pick last year on a very similar player last year (imo Broberg isnt as good as Guhle but I'm not high on either). Our left side defense is not an issue. If he was looking like a top pairing guy than it would be worth it, but he isn't, he is more than the same. So for us, ya dime a dozen. Most teams in the league have 1-2 prospects at this level at defense.
With how horrid our forward and goaltending prospect depth is, drafting another guy like him would be bafflingly stupid.

Rufus Aslegard

Jun 15, 2019
I was a huge supporter of Benson. His skating hasn't close to improved enough. He needs a Bear like off season or I think his chances of being an NHL players dwindle fast. Lavoie still has hope to be a top 6 guy I just don't see it in his game.

Agreed on Benson. Needs to be top 9 on the Oilers and I do not see who is is displacing. This becomes a worse situation for Benson if JP comes back and the Oilers take a forward in the 2020 draft (probably).

DRAI/RNH/YAM
MCDAVID/KASS/??
AA/ARCHIBALD/3C

Benson is not a centre - so the 3C is out. He is not displacing Archibald anytime soon. He would not play with McDavid unless he improves significantly.

He has competition with Nygaard, JP (maybe), and Ennis. I am not even including Chaisson or Neal.

Add a good forward in 2020 and maybe a free agent forward in the offseason, and I am hard pressed to see where Benson fits unless he makes substantial improvement.

Rufus Aslegard

Jun 15, 2019
Guy is second pairing potential. Which is fine but we absolutely do not need ANOTHER guy like that. We already spent a high pick last year on a very similar player last year (imo Broberg isnt as good as Guhle but I'm not high on either). Our left side defense is not an issue. If he was looking like a top pairing guy than it would be worth it, but he isn't, he is more than the same. So for us, ya dime a dozen. Most teams in the league have 1-2 prospects at this level at defense.
With how horrid our forward and goaltending prospect depth is, drafting another guy like him would be bafflingly stupid.

Yes. I think Guhle has better upside than you think, but there is no way the Oilers need another D-man in the first round (in 2020), unless they somehow get a chance at Drysdale or Sanderson or maybe Schnieder.

Even then, the only way the Oilers take a D-man is if Drysdale falls for some crazy reason IMO.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Yes. I think Guhle has better upside than you think, but there is no way the Oilers need another D-man in the first round (in 2020), unless they somehow get a chance at Drysdale or Sanderson or maybe Schnieder.

Even then, the only way the Oilers take a D-man is if Drysdale falls for some crazy reason IMO.
We have spent a couple high picks on defensemen recently and none of them have top pairing potential. Time to stop throwing picks at defenders and hoping for the best. Definitely shouldnt be passing on great players for defenders either.

If Drysdale is on the board you draft him but outside of that forward or goalie.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad