OT: 2020 Draft - Who do you want?

Who do you want with the 2020 1st round draft pick?

• Daniel Torgersson (F)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Thomas Bordeleau (F)

• Helge Grans (D)

• Rodion Amirov (F)

• Vasili Ponomarev (F)

• Yan Kuznetsov (D)

• Justin Barron (D)

• Shakir Mukhamadullin (D)

• Brendon Brisson (F)

• Total voters

McTonyBrar

Apr 2, 2018
Can someone give decent scouting on Noel Gunler and Mavrik Bourque? My picks are Jarvis, Askarov or trading down for Mysak. But, Gunler and Bourque seem intriguing

Llamamoto

Nice Bison. Kind Bison. Yep.
Sep 5, 2018
Can someone give decent scouting on Noel Gunler and Mavrik Bourque? My picks are Jarvis, Askarov or trading down for Mysak. But, Gunler and Bourque seem intriguing

Two of my favourite prospects.

Gunler is a great skater with a great shot. He has nice hands and is an underrated passer. He actually had a pretty good year in the SHL, although there are rumoured attitude issues that have prevented him from being invited to multiple Swedish teams. Definitely a polarizing prospect. I have him ranked at 10/11.

Bourque's combination of hands and passing is up there for one of the best in the draft. He's such a smart player, and he has a very underrated shot. He isn't a great skater, and that combined with his lack of size isn't a great sign. But we've developed players with bad skating pretty well over the past few years, so that should be all right. His play style reminds me of Draisaitl tbh, the way he slows play down and generates offence by passing and deking. I have him ranked at 12/13.

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
Two of my favourite prospects.

Gunler is a great skater with a great shot. He has nice hands and is an underrated passer. He actually had a pretty good year in the SHL, although there are rumoured attitude issues that have prevented him from being invited to multiple Swedish teams. Definitely a polarizing prospect. I have him ranked at 10/11.

Bourque's combination of hands and passing is up there for one of the best in the draft. He's such a smart player, and he has a very underrated shot. He isn't a great skater, and that combined with his lack of size isn't a great sign. But we've developed players with bad skating pretty well over the past few years, so that should be all right. His play style reminds me of Draisaitl tbh, the way he slows play down and generates offence by passing and deking. I have him ranked at 12/13.

I had heard the attitude rumour thing on Gunler as well. I was reading the HP black book and they indicated that they talked to 6 swedish NHL scouts and none of them had any red flags with him. Said he has been working hard on and off the ice to prove people wrong. It just seems like hes dropping a bit in the draft because I dont think he played a whole lot in the SHL and I think scouts wanted to see him on smaller ice (Raymond is another player who didnt play much in the SHL but I am guessing that they trust his U18/WJ's more). I think the Season pause has ended up hurting him a bit (but one team might end up getting a pretty good prospect). Does sound like hes also a pretty quiet, shy and introverted kid (heaven forbid), who might not fit in as well to the hockey culture. Who knows for sure.

Reactions: Llamamoto49

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
Based on the highlights, I prefer Perreault over Gunler. He's pretty much Gunler but does a few other things better. He carries the puck better and better along the boards.

For the Oilers we need fowards who's good at zone exits and zone entries.

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
Based on the highlights, I prefer Perreault over Gunler. He's pretty much Gunler but does a few other things better. He carries the puck better and better along the boards.

For the Oilers we need fowards who's good at zone exits and zone entries.

For myself, I see the Oilers priorities as 1) Find a winger who will work with McDavid for a long time and 2) Find someone who can be a 3C for a long time (this could technically be addressed in FA)

Projecting whos going to work well with McDavid is a feat in itself though. We honestly dont really know what kind of player hes going to have chemistry with as nothing in 5 years has really stood out. When I see someone like Reichel, hes a guy who I think could mesh well with McDavid but its honestly hard to know. Players like Gunler, Perrault etc may be better fits chemistry wise. I wouldnt even be surprised if a more defensive type player with skill like Mysak may end up helping out McDavid more, than a total offensive type.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Anything but a left shot defender. If we use our first pick on another left shot defender...especially after last draft I don't even know lol

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
I agree.

Im hoping for a guy like Jarvis, lots of good offensive prospects around where we'll be picking.
And that's what we need. Not just on the big club but organizational. We had a guy like Marino avoid the organization cause our defensive depth was too high. Our forward prospect depth is the worst in the league by a very wide margin. Same with goaltending

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
And that's what we need. Not just on the big club but organizational. We had a guy like Marino avoid the organization cause our defensive depth was too high. Our forward prospect depth is the worst in the league by a very wide margin. Same with goaltending
Dont know if I would go that far, definitely in the conversation for that though.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Dont know if I would go that far, definitely in the conversation for that though.
Our forwards really don't have anyone of note. Imo we have 3 potential 3rd liners in Benson, McLeod and Lavoie and that's really it. Most orgs have at least a couple guys with more.

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
Our forwards really don't have anyone of note. Imo we have 3 potential 3rd liners in Benson, McLeod and Lavoie and that's really it. Most orgs have at least a couple guys with more.
It's a little early to lock them down as third liners, I think middle sixer's is more likely their potential, depending on linemates.

Yamamoto didn't look like anything that special and seems to be a lock for top 6 play now.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
It's a little early to lock them down as third liners.

Yamamoto didn't look like anything that special and seems to be a lock for top 6 play now.
I didn't think Yamamoto had what it took but that was due to size not skill.

McLeod isn't skilled enough. Lavoie needs a huge leap as well to be more. I thought Benson had what it took but I sadly no longer think his game has what it takes to make the jump to the NHL level

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
I didn't think Yamamoto had what it took but that was due to size not skill.

McLeod isn't skilled enough. Lavoie needs a huge leap as well to be more. I thought Benson had what it took but I sadly no longer think his game has what it takes to make the jump to the NHL level
I think McLeod is the perfect mold of a third line center, which isnt a bad thing.

For Lavoie and Benson, both need to improve their skating to become a top 6 player, which is not an impossible feat.

I just dont think its fair after 7 NHL games to write off benson.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
I think McLeod is the perfect mold of a third line center, which isnt a bad thing.

For Lavoie and Benson, both need to improve their skating to become a top 6 player, which is not an impossible feat.

I just dont think its fair after 7 NHL games to write off benson.
I was a huge supporter of Benson. His skating hasn't close to improved enough. He needs a Bear like off season or I think his chances of being an NHL players dwindle fast. Lavoie still has hope to be a top 6 guy I just don't see it in his game.

McDoused

Feb 5, 2007
Katy <3
Mysak, Jarvis, Bourque and Lapierre all interest me if they are around near the end of the 1st round.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Not surprised to see you’ve already written off the oilers in their play in rounds.

why do you even watch the games.
Honestly if we were playing any other team id be thinking different. Just don't like our chances against a team with experienced playoff vets with good goaltending and nothing to prove who beat us in the season series this year.

Literally any other team in the conference and i think we would stand a better chance

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
Honestly if we were playing any other team id be thinking different. Just don't like our chances against a team with experienced playoff vets with good goaltending and nothing to prove who beat us in the season series this year.

Literally any other team in the conference and i think we would stand a better chance
No you wouldn’t think that way.

all year long the other team would score a goal and in come you to post “that’s game” only to see you still posting in the third as the oilers win the game.

you are aware that koskinen and Crawford have similar stats and koskinen has a history of being good in the playoffs or big games

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
I think we should be thinking of the possibility of drafting as high as 10. Must be hard for the scouting staff. Instead of looking at a grouping of 5-10 players they have to really look at more than half the first round.

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
I think we should be thinking of the possibility of drafting as high as 10. Must be hard for the scouting staff. Instead of looking at a grouping of 5-10 players they have to really look at more than half the first round.
The scouts will have their board of 100 or so and just pick the highest ones left on their board.

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
I was a huge supporter of Benson. His skating hasn't close to improved enough. He needs a Bear like off season or I think his chances of being an NHL players dwindle fast. Lavoie still has hope to be a top 6 guy I just don't see it in his game.
Benson is like our safest bet to make the NHL. Just because he didn't steal a stop in the top 6 doesn't mean there isn't a role for him on the bottom. You have to give guys more than a handful of games before drawings conclusions

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad