2020 Draft & Undrafted Free Agent Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
Maybe it's because risers haven't really been identified yet, but doesn't it seem like the latter half of this draft seems pretty weak-to-status quo? Say we acquire another first rounder in a Kreider deal, do we necessarily keep that pick or just try to flip it in a similar deal like we did for Trouba?

BKGooner

Jun 23, 2017
Maybe it's because risers haven't really been identified yet, but doesn't it seem like the latter half of this draft seems pretty weak-to-status quo? Say we acquire another first rounder in a Kreider deal, do we necessarily keep that pick or just try to flip it in a similar deal like we did for Trouba?
You look for a boom/bust guy or a 1st round project. Wallinder in the late 20's would be a good pick.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise

I think everyone will start playing favorites as the spring arrives. In general, I will say that I don't love this draft class nearly as much as some might, nor do I feel it matched a lot of the preliminary expectations.

It's a good draft, with some good potential. But I don't like it as much as either 2018 or 2019. Not at the top, nor in the second half of the first.

mas0764

Jul 16, 2005
So, I assume the seven would be:

Lafrenière
Byfield
Stützle
Raymond
Holtz
Perfetti
Rossi

Something like that?

I'm much higher on the first five than the last two.

There must be some way to talk a team above you into swapping picks if we throw in Buchnevich or Lindgren or Hajek or Joey Keane or something.

mas0764

Jul 16, 2005
It goes without saying that somehow winning the lottery again and coming away with Lafreniere or Byfield is HUGE.

While holes would remain, I think that's a moment when people around the league stop and stay, "Holy cow, did we just witness the moment people point to when they reference the birth of the team of the 2020s?"

Because now you talk about a pretty sick blend of elite, blue-chip potential, combined with support potential, combined with the a lot of options to make moves and shore up other areas.

You could also go from complaints about the Rangers not producing stars, or allstars, to a questions about how many guys could realistically hit that level in the 2020s.

Which is also why it might make sense to overpay from a prospect perspective, or even a "next year's pick" perspective to get up and get one of the top 5 forwards (Lafrieniere, Byfield, Holtz, Raymond, Stutzle). You are cementing an elite forward group.

Who cares if you have to deal away a defensive prospect and overpay? We have too many already.

And when we make the playoffs next year because Kakko explodes onto the scene and Panarin duplicates his season and Kravtsov and Chytil both start producing, etc, we won't be in a position to trade into the top 5 of next year's draft.

Warts and all, even if they don't compare to the forwards of the last two seasons like Zegras and Turcotte, etc, Holtz and Raymond are top end players and we need one more. Just do it!

Reactions: McSauer

Lion Hound

@JoeTucc26
Mar 12, 2007
Montauk NY

Joey Bones

***** 2k16
Jul 27, 2012
Nowhere
Can’t speak for the others but I like Benning and Cormiers tools more then Mercer, their production matches the tools too.

And yeah, Reichel has insane rate stats and has impressed me everytime i’ve watched him.

Cormier has a very junior styled game, to me. Offensively gifted, but not confident it will translate. I would give Benning a better chance over Cormier, ATM. Benning will definitely need time in college though.

Both I think aren’t up to speed with what Mercer has been doing. Kind of shocked he was traded to Chicoutimi, TBH. One of Drummondville’s best playmakers.

Joey Bones

***** 2k16
Jul 27, 2012
Nowhere
This is the one team that could make that move due to the simple fact they'll likely have two top 10 picks. With teams 2-5 jumbled together right now, who knows, they could end up with a top 5 pick, take one of the forwards at the top and swing back in and take Askarov with their 2nd first rounder.

Either way, unless the Rangers win the lotto and move into the top 3, their unlikely to be ahead of Ottawa. If they take a goalie before we do, it just opens up the doors to getting one of the better forwards in this draft.

Can think Ottawa would do one of three things with that last 1st rounder; they’ll take Askarov (smartest decision), trade back (smart decision based on how the draft shapes up) or reach for someone undeserving of a top 10 pick (most likely scenario given how Ottawa management has been so abysmal).

Reactions: Lion Hound

Hockeyplayer99

Jul 31, 2005
Detroit was all in tank this whole season, they don't deserve the number 1 pick, Devils another team, how many times are they gonna be so bad and keep getting top picks, they don't deserve top 5. Devils are the Islanders of the beginning when they had 2 top picks in a row and then the 4th overall the third year.

CharlestownChiefsESC

Sep 17, 2008
Laurence Harbor NJ
It goes without saying that somehow winning the lottery again and coming away with Lafreniere or Byfield is HUGE.

While holes would remain, I think that's a moment when people around the league stop and stay, "Holy cow, did we just witness the moment people point to when they reference the birth of the team of the 2020s?"

Because now you talk about a pretty sick blend of elite, blue-chip potential, combined with support potential, combined with the a lot of options to make moves and shore up other areas.

You could also go from complaints about the Rangers not producing stars, or allstars, to a questions about how many guys could realistically hit that level in the 2020s.

Funny part is I was all about Hughes last year and well Kakko wound up here, this year im all about Byfield and well watch us get Lafreniere. Which is why im hoping to see if we wind up with Newhook at the tdl.

Reactions: mschmidt64

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
Funny part is I was all about Hughes last year and well Kakko wound up here, this year im all about Byfield and well watch us get Lafreniere. Which is why im hoping to see if we wind up with Newhook at the tdl.

Picking first in this draft scares me more than picking first in last year's draft.

I think Lafreniere has all the tools to be a dynamic scorer at the NHL level.

But man, when I look at Byfield it's hard not to think about what he could be in 5 years. There's a lot of Joe Thornton there and there aren't many guys who do what Byfield does at 6'4/6'5, 220 pounds plus.

Byfield's raw skill level isn't as high Lafreniere's, but I'm not entirely sure the final product isn't just as dangerous, if not a little more unique.

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
upload_2020-1-30_13-58-35.png

Attachments

• upload_2020-1-30_13-58-2.png
    upload_2020-1-30_13-58-2.png
    305.3 KB · Views: 5
Reactions: Leetch3

Oscar Lindberg

Dec 14, 2015
CA
Sanderson at #9 is crazy town.

He is not a top 10 prospect, not even sure he's top 20 to some

But outside of that the top 10 is about as you'd expect. Will be interesting to see where guys like Holloway, Gunler and Mysak go as the year progresses.

Also keeping an eye on Colangelo and Kuznestov

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
There's that top 7 forward cluster I think exists. Looking at TSN's list, and counting a defenseman and goalie, I see a clear drop after 10.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
If this team picks somewhere 7th through 10th, and takes Lundell, I am taking a vacation.

I don't think I can stomach the reactions.

Lion Hound

@JoeTucc26
Mar 12, 2007
Montauk NY
Alexis Lafreniere, who is expected to be the No. 1 overall pick in June's NHL draft, was suspended for three games Tuesday by the Quebec Major Junior Hockey League.
Lafreniere, 18, who plays forward for Rimouski Oceanic, delivered a shot to the head of Quebec Remparts forward Thomas Caron six seconds into the third period of a game Sunday. Lafreniere sized Caron up at center ice and drove a shoulder into him near the faceoff dot. He drew a five-minute major penalty, as well as a game misconduct. Quebec won 4-2.

Likely No. 1 pick Lafreniere suspended 3 games

GeorgeKaplan

Dec 19, 2011
New Jersey
Alexis Lafreniere, who is expected to be the No. 1 overall pick in June's NHL draft, was suspended for three games Tuesday by the Quebec Major Junior Hockey League.
Lafreniere, 18, who plays forward for Rimouski Oceanic, delivered a shot to the head of Quebec Remparts forward Thomas Caron six seconds into the third period of a game Sunday. Lafreniere sized Caron up at center ice and drove a shoulder into him near the faceoff dot. He drew a five-minute major penalty, as well as a game misconduct. Quebec won 4-2.

Likely No. 1 pick Lafreniere suspended 3 games
This is only going to raise his draft stock more

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad