2020 Draft & Undrafted Free Agent Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oscar Lindberg

Dec 14, 2015
CA
Bingo. For me Lundell is the start of that next tier - guys whose upside strikes me more as a second liner.

IMO, all of the other forwards in that group at least have a decent shot to become first line caliber players. I don't get that vibe with Lundell. I like him, but he's a guy I take if those other names are off the board.
Makes sense. I would agree that at this point his upside is probably the lowest of the group I listed

It'll be interesting to see. Most of the top 10 picks are going to be forwards it seems.

Drysdale probably is taken in the top 10 by someone (maybe the Ducks). Askarov is tough to project where he goes. If Ottawa wins a top 3, I would be surprised if they don't take him with their other pick. The Wild also make sense for him

Regardless the Rangers are going to get a really good prospect if they stay in the top 10

Lion Hound

@JoeTucc26
Mar 12, 2007
Montauk NY
Im sure the scouts were out in force for this game.

67’s beat the best in the West

Oh, and all three top prospects found the net with 67 Marco Rossi scoring just 63 seconds in, teammate Jack Quinn scoring a pair in the third, and Spirit star Cole Perfetti scoring once while showing a large contingent of NHL scouts, yet again, why many expect him to be a Top 3 pick with Rossi and Quinn right behind him.

Brooklyn Rangers Fan

Change is good.
Aug 23, 2005
Brooklyn & Upstate
Im sure the scouts were out in force for this game.

67’s beat the best in the West

Oh, and all three top prospects found the net with 67 Marco Rossi scoring just 63 seconds in, teammate Jack Quinn scoring a pair in the third, and Spirit star Cole Perfetti scoring once while showing a large contingent of NHL scouts, yet again, why many expect him to be a Top 3 pick with Rossi and Quinn right behind him.
This is the first I've heard of Quinn being ranked nearly as highly as his brothers were. I mean, "right behind" Perfetti? That's new.

Realistically, where's he expected to go? Late first? Second?

(Interesting to note that he's a wing and listed at 6'1", 179lbs, given his brothers' profiles.)

Reactions: Lion Hound

Lion Hound

@JoeTucc26
Mar 12, 2007
Montauk NY
This is the first I've heard of Quinn being ranked nearly as highly as his brothers were. I mean, "right behind" Perfetti? That's new.

(Interesting to note that he's a wing and listed at 6'1", 179lbs, given his brothers' profiles.)

I think he goes in the middle of the first round 15-20 somewhere, but you never know!

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
He ranges from the 20's to the 60's depending on the mock you're looking at

Maybe he rises as the year goes on though

I would not touch Quinn with a pick inside the top 15.

He's an older player who didn't appear to be anything special until Rossi exploded onto the scene this year and the rest of the team hooked on to that money train.

Oscar Lindberg

Dec 14, 2015
CA
I would not touch Quinn with a pick inside the top 15.

He's an older player who didn't appear to be anything special until Rossi exploded onto the scene this year and the rest of the team hooked on to that money train.
I don't know anything about him so I'll take your word for it haha

Harbour Dog

Jul 16, 2015
St. John's

Who are Quinn's brothers?

Are you thinking of Luke Hughes?

mas0764

Jul 16, 2005
Holtz is who I'm hitching my hopes on if we're picking at 7-8 and assuming that Lafrieniere, Byfield, and Raymond are gone.

Would move assets to acquire him too.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
hopefully Uncle Gary rigs the lottery for us again. Otherwise the rebuild will fail.

I really think we need a shot at one more young, high-octane, offensive-minded forward.

Especially if you're picking in that 6-9 range, I think this draft is one where you go for the big swing, even if it's not the pick with the best floor.

I like our odds of being in a position to do that at 6-8 then I do beyond that.

I think Drysdale goes in the top 7, so that pushes at least one of the forwards I think has an elite offensive ceiling, and decent odds to reach that ceiling, to the 8 spot. Askarov could go either way. There's talk he could go in the top 7 or 8, or just outside the top 10. But I can't bank on that, so I assume Drysdale is the guy who disrupts the run of forwards (as of this moment in time). That means, from a draft perspective, I'd prefer to not drop lower than the 8 spot.

Reactions: nsvoyageurs

Brooklyn Rangers Fan

Change is good.
Aug 23, 2005
Brooklyn & Upstate
I really think we need a shot at one more young, high-octane, offensive-minded forward.

Especially if you're picking in that 6-9 range, I think this draft is one where you go for the big swing, even if it's not the pick with the best floor.

I like our odds of being in a position to do that at 6-8 then I do beyond that.

I think Drysdale goes in the top 7, so that pushes at least one of the forwards I think has an elite offensive ceiling, and decent odds to reach that ceiling, to the 8 spot. Askarov could go either way. There's talk he could go in the top 7 or 8, or just outside the top 10. But I can't bank on that, so I assume Drysdale is the guy who disrupts the run of forwards (as of this moment in time). That means, from a draft perspective, I'd prefer to not drop lower than the 8 spot.
So, I assume the seven would be:

Lafrenière
Byfield
Stützle
Raymond
Holtz
Perfetti
Rossi

Something like that?

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise

Lafrenière
Byfield
Stützle
Raymond
Holtz
Perfetti
Rossi

Something like that?

Correct, I think those are your guys with a good cross section of top line offensive upside and decent odds to make it.

When you get beyond them, you have guys who I think possess lower ceilings, lower odds of hitting their ceilings, and various combinations of the two.

That's not to say there aren't guys who will be taken beyond those 7 forwards who will end up being better players, I'd just say they're not as projectible as prospects right now.

Joey Bones

***** 2k16
Jul 27, 2012
Nowhere
I’m no scout, in fact, I’m an extraordinarily casual observer of all this. I don’t have a “rank” per se but my early Rangers-related takeaways would be:

1) I really hope Askarov and Drysdale go early. Before we pick. Hey, doesn’t New Jersey need a goalie?

2) I don’t think I see the argument for Byfield over Lafreniere, if there’s even a credible one to be made. I like Byfield but I’m not as in love with him as I thought I might be for a top end center that I’ve been screaming for the Rangers to acquire for two decades.

3) I really like both Holtz and Raymond and if I’m the Rangers sitting at 7 or 8 I might be targeting one of those guys in a trade up or praying that they fall.

4) I like Rossi more than Perfetti.

5) I like Lundell but he does not seem like a star but rather a solid piece. The Rangers still need another sure star to put with Kakko and Panarin (and maybe Kravtsov/Chytil).

6) I like Stutzle too but not sure I like him more than Holtz or Raymond. He was an early target of mine when he was much further down the draft board. For example I would have grabbed him at 7 or 8 and felt I stole him when his stock was lower. Now that some resources have him at 3 behind Byfield and Lafreniere? Not sure about that.

7) Trading up would be a main objective, as the Rangers have a surplus of quality players in their pipeline, too many, in fact, especially on defense, and it’s time to turn some of that surplus into a top end player or prospect.

My overall rough feeling on what I’d want if I was the Rangers?

- Lafrieniere (and worth trading up for if the opportunity presented)
- Byfield (not worth trading up for given the likely price and that id rather pay less to move up for others)
- Holtz/Raymond - worth actively attempting to trade up for if I’m at 7 or 8 and that would be my plan in fact
- Stutzle if he’s there or if the cost to trade up isn’t prohibitive
- If Im stuck at 7-8 and these guys are gone, I’d probably look at Rossi then Lundell. Don’t love Perfetti. Can’t explain why.

Finally, if they value trying to win and squeak into the playoffs instead of one final sell off to get one of these draft studs, I’ll be a bit upset. Adding one more piece like Stutzle, Raymond or Holtz should kinda be top priority. Will make this team loaded for the future with top end talent comparable to Washington in its heyday (absent an all-timer in Ovechkin, perhaps).

Interesting take on things. IMO, I wouldn’t trade up at all in this class as I feel there are too many what ifs that are around. I would sit pretty to see how it shakes up, seeing if NYR is at say No. 7 or 8.

I think Ottawa would be silly if they don’t take Askarov, despite how early he might go. He is best goalie prospect in quite some time. Capable of playing & starting early for an NHL team. Ottawa has Anderson & who? No one with enough potential to take them out of this rut management put them in. Ottawa is looking real good for their future, ATM.

Last edited:

Joey Bones

***** 2k16
Jul 27, 2012
Nowhere

Rankings have him going in the late first & I think that’s deserving. I have him in the 2nd, atm.

Joey Bones

***** 2k16
Jul 27, 2012
Nowhere
Here is our January Top 62 ranking, consolidated from our 6 individual rankings.

January Top 62

And here’s my individual Top 75

If you don’t mind me asking, why Mercer so low while Benning & Cormier are so high? Don’t necessarily agree on those parts.

Really like that you have Reichel higher than most rankings I’ve seen!!

ManUtdTobbe

Jun 28, 2016
Sweden
If you don’t mind me asking, why Mercer so low while Benning & Cormier are so high? Don’t necessarily agree on those parts.

Really like that you have Reichel higher than most rankings I’ve seen!!
Can’t speak for the others but I like Benning and Cormiers tools more then Mercer, their production matches the tools too.

And yeah, Reichel has insane rate stats and has impressed me everytime i’ve watched him.

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site

Lafrenière
Byfield
Stützle
Raymond
Holtz
Perfetti
Rossi

Something like that?
Factor in Askarov & Drysdale and the chances of those 5 forwards ( I am forgetting about the top 2) dropping to the Rangers is pretty good. I mean if they somehow emerge with a Raymond or Holtz, that is a complete home run as far as I am concerned.

Brooklyn Rangers Fan

Change is good.
Aug 23, 2005
Brooklyn & Upstate
Factor in Askarov & Drysdale and the chances of those 5 forwards ( I am forgetting about the top 2) dropping to the Rangers is pretty good. I mean if they somehow emerge with a Raymond or Holtz, that is a complete home run as far as I am concerned.
While intellectually I agree, all of last year I had this bizarre optimism that the Rangers would somehow wind up with Kakko.

So, this year, I will continue to harbor my bizarre optimism that the Rangers will wind up with Byfield. :)

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
While intellectually I agree, all of last year I had this bizarre optimism that the Rangers would somehow wind up with Kakko.

So, this year, I will continue to harbor my bizarre optimism that the Rangers will wind up with Byfield. :)
Lighting striking for the Rangers like that in two straight years, would mean that some sort of island sank somewhere with no survivors.

JimmyG89

May 1, 2010
I think Ottawa would be silly if they don’t take Askarov, despite how early he might go.

This is the one team that could make that move due to the simple fact they'll likely have two top 10 picks. With teams 2-5 jumbled together right now, who knows, they could end up with a top 5 pick, take one of the forwards at the top and swing back in and take Askarov with their 2nd first rounder.

Either way, unless the Rangers win the lotto and move into the top 3, their unlikely to be ahead of Ottawa. If they take a goalie before we do, it just opens up the doors to getting one of the better forwards in this draft.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise

It goes without saying that somehow winning the lottery again and coming away with Lafreniere or Byfield is HUGE.

While holes would remain, I think that's a moment when people around the league stop and stay, "Holy cow, did we just witness the moment people point to when they reference the birth of the team of the 2020s?"

Because now you talk about a pretty sick blend of elite, blue-chip potential, combined with support potential, combined with the a lot of options to make moves and shore up other areas.

You could also go from complaints about the Rangers not producing stars, or allstars, to a questions about how many guys could realistically hit that level in the 2020s.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad