2020 Draft & Undrafted Free Agent Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

darko

Feb 16, 2009
Such a strange time of year.

The number of games played still needs to even-out, but you’re essentially looking at 2 points being the difference between sitting in the playoffs like Tampa, or picking 8th in the draft.

6 other teams are sitting on 33-36 points. We need most of these to pass us. Detroit, NJ, us. Would love a top-2 pick obviously but I'd be content with the top-5. What side does Drysdale play?

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
6 other teams are sitting on 33-36 points. We need most of these to pass us. Detroit, NJ, us. Would love a top-2 pick obviously but I'd be content with the top-5. What side does Drysdale play?

He’s a righty.

And I will also add my customary comment that contrary to some opinions, I don’t think finding a quality LHD is going to be a particularly easy task.

Mikos87

Mar 19, 2002
Visit site
I will say that I'm not sure I see a high upside/ reasonable risk type when you get to the teens right now. Obviously there is still a long way for things to shake out, but right now if the Rangers pick 10-15, it's going to be difficult.

In that range, you start getting into very solid second line player types --- Lundell, Holloway, Zary, etc. And frankly, while I think this team needs some dynamic higher-end talent, I also don't think it's also in the position to miss with the pick either.

This is the weird dynamic I was somewhat concerned with. We've essentially propelled ourselves into the dreaded middle, but it's already becoming obvious that our system needs more eggs in the basket. A few prospects start having hiccups and suddenly we're reminded how vulnerable we can become when optimistically projecting our chickens before they hatch.

I love what Panarin is doing, and appreciate what Trouba brings, but they also run the risk of masking longer-term concerns while we fawn over their immense talent. This is still a team that needs firepower over the long haul. Can we find it in the 10-15 range this year? Eh, I'm not so sure about that. And that's why I'm thinking a trade might be the most likely path. In which case, this year's pick would probably be more of the support variety.

So in short, I think the firepower is likely to come from a trade, whereas the depth might be the approach for this draft.

Yeah I'm fairly certain that the top 6 player(s) the Rangers need will need to come via trade. You can get lucky and get a top pick, and that works out in 2020, but you will still need to trade for a another scorer. Some of the board will probably screech, but I foresee a player and prospects going alongside a pick.

As far as as 10-15 slot pick goes, guys like Rossi, Gunler, Holtz, Holloway, Bourque will be there. I think there is bust potential there with some of these guys if the expectation is 60 points, but out of those guys, Rossi has the most upside despite being undersized.

Gunler is a Silfverberg clone imo, and Holloway is going to play in the NHL on his skating alone. He's one of those zone entry wingers that's becoming more popular these days.

Joey Bones

***** 2k16
Jul 27, 2012
Nowhere
Yeah I'm fairly certain that the top 6 player(s) the Rangers need will need to come via trade. You can get lucky and get a top pick, and that works out in 2020, but you will still need to trade for a another scorer. Some of the board will probably screech, but I foresee a player and prospects going alongside a pick.

As far as as 10-15 slot pick goes, guys like Rossi, Gunler, Holtz, Holloway, Bourque will be there. I think there is bust potential there with some of these guys if the expectation is 60 points, but out of those guys, Rossi has the most upside despite being undersized.

Gunler is a Silfverberg clone imo, and Holloway is going to play in the NHL on his skating alone. He's one of those zone entry wingers that's becoming more popular these days.

I think Rossi is on the rise. He'll be harder to snag in the mid-teens....

Reactions: B17 Apricots

Joey Bones

***** 2k16
Jul 27, 2012
Nowhere
More than likely, he would have gone in the mid-teens last year if he wasn't a late birthday. Might project as a better winger in the NHL than a center, but the offense and playmaking is there.

No doubt. And it doesn't look like juniors-like production. He's surprising me a bit.

Reactions: Mikos87

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
I’m more surprised to see Foudy not take a step this year. I still think he’ll be a good NHLer, but I thought he was going to explode this year based on his skating ability

millencolin487

Mar 1, 2018
Bethpage
Im wondering how the Lias situation effects our decision in this draft coming up. Maybe we are now more likely to take a center. I’m intrigued to see how this plays.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise

i don’t think Rossi will be there. The other guys are good prospects with varying degrees of question marks around them.

I’d say most project as having second line upside, but to the original question a few pages back, I don’t know if I see a huge home run swing at this point.

Mikos87

Mar 19, 2002
Visit site
i don’t think Rossi will be there. The other guys are good prospects with varying degrees of question marks around them.

I’d say most project as having second line upside, but to the original question a few pages back, I don’t know if I see a huge home run swing at this point.

No I don't either. It's funny, back in 2015 my hockey guys were talking about how good the '02s are after saying it was the best midget tournament that they've seen. But it hasn't panned out yet.

There's still 4-5 months of games to go for some risers to come out. One thing this draft is lacking is a strong USNP class.

This is probably one of the weakest classes, if not the weakest class since the program started. Last couple of years you had 5-10 guys going in the top 2 rounds from the program. This year, I don't know if there is a viable 1st round pick.

Reactions: Joey Bones

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
No I don't either. It's funny, back in 2015 my hockey guys were talking about how good the '02s are after saying it was the best midget tournament that they've seen. But it hasn't panned out yet.

There's still 4-5 months of games to go for some risers to come out. One thing this draft is lacking is a strong USNP class.

This is probably one of the weakest classes, if not the weakest class since the program started. Last couple of years you had 5-10 guys going in the top 2 rounds from the program. This year, I don't know if there is a viable 1st round pick.
There's really only one or two worthwhile players out of this year, but next year's crop will be much, much better. Matt Beniers is sick.

Reactions: Joey Bones

jibbz

Mar 9, 2019
More than likely, he would have gone in the mid-teens last year if he wasn't a late birthday. Might project as a better winger in the NHL than a center, but the offense and playmaking is there.

Ok I really don't know where this "Rossi will be a winger" stuff is coming from. Is it because of his size? Because if it is, let me just tell you that it's not as big of a thing as you think it is. This guy is built like a complete tank, has insane balance because of his low center of gravity, and virtually cannot be knocked off his feet as a result of it. He's supremely good at board battles, very shifty albeit not being the fastest (yet, his speed has increased loads over the past year), probably the best faceoff taker in this whole draft, and one of the better defensive forwards as well. This guy is a center through and through, I do not ever see him play on the wing for an extended period of time in the NHL

QJL

Jan 2, 2014
Rossi is also having a tremendous year on face offs. He’s definitely tracking to be a center, even at 5’9.

NYRFANMANI

Department of Rempe Safety Management
Apr 21, 2007
yo old soorbrockon
Rossi is also having a tremendous year on face offs. He’s definitely tracking to be a center, even at 5’9.

5'9 ?! I just watched a scouting report on him on youtube. He didn't look that small.

I think this kid would be a steal at 9-ish. He's goes easily in the top 10 imo, offensive passing and playmaking is off the charts.

I Eat Crow

Fear The Mullet
Jul 9, 2007
Early returns indicate that Stutzle, Rossi, and Perfetti are my top targets for the Rangers this coming draft. All three of these kids are going to be studs.

Stutzle looking from highlights looks like an absolute wizard with the puck. Take this as you will, but I see a lot of Zuccarello in him.

Rossi is a smart center that just knows where to be despite his size and not having jet packs for skates. He has high end 2nd line center written all over him. I can't think of a better compliment to Zibanejad as the top line center in this draft.

Perfetti is very easily going to be a 30 goal scorer in this league. I see him more as a center, however.

Barring some lottery luck, I think Lafreniere, Byfield, and Holtz are absolutely out of the question. If the Rangers are drafting between 5-8ish, I think at least two of the above are going to be there, and I'd smile ear to ear walking away with one of them as our top pick.

If the Rangers deal Kreider and manage to get a late 1st or early 2nd, get Jean-Luc Foudy. Kid has future pain in the ass written all over him, and has some offense in his game too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad