2020 Draft & Undrafted Free Agent Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

bigdog16

Nov 7, 2013
USA
The post you quoted literately says “he doesn’t lack offensive upside.” If you want to disagree with that, you took a really strange way to do that

I dont think its very strange. I gave reasoning as to why I disagree. This is a pretty dumb argument you decided to pick..?

Steve Kournianos

@thedraftanalyst
So a "safe" player that has a "really high IQ".

I remember when we went with one of those guys with a top 10 pick in 2017. Been doing wonders for us...

Lundell's high IQ is more on the positional/decision-making side than the vision/playmaking side. He definitely has good puck skills but he isn't a commanding presence on the ice at either the U20 or Liiga level.

I think people saw his stats last year and automatically thought he had franchise potential. Never once did I get that impression of him, but then again, he's does a ton of things right and is a pretty good skater in all facets.

I think the Rangers should go for an explosive or insanely creative forward -- Stutzle, Rossi, Raymond, Holtz, Mysak, Bourque, Ponomaryov all fit into either or both categories.

This isn't the draft to go for rugged, tough, 200-foot types early, Holloway excluded because I think he has legit point-producing potential.

Brooklyn Rangers Fan

Change is good.
Aug 23, 2005
Brooklyn & Upstate
Lundell's high IQ is more on the positional/decision-making side than the vision/playmaking side. He definitely has good puck skills but he isn't a commanding presence on the ice at either the U20 or Liiga level.

I think people saw his stats last year and automatically thought he had franchise potential. Never once did I get that impression of him, but then again, he's does a ton of things right and is a pretty good skater in all facets.

I think the Rangers should go for an explosive or insanely creative forward -- Stutzle, Rossi, Raymond, Holtz, Mysak, Bourque, Ponomaryov all fit into either or both categories.

This isn't the draft to go for rugged, tough, 200-foot types early, Holloway excluded because I think he has legit point-producing potential.
Great post, Steve.

I’m just wondering why you left Lafreniere and Byfield off your list...:sarcasm:

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise

The funny thing is I've never quite gotten the Franchise feel from Lundell --- ever. He's always seemed like a very nice second line prospect to me.

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Interesting that you put Mysak in there. But only in the context of the entire post as I view his game as a player that plays well at both ends.

bigdog16

Nov 7, 2013
USA
Making the assumption that as a "safe" player he is somehow not talented enough.

To be honest, his game is eerily similar to Lias' pre draft. He is just about average in every aspect of the game besides his IQ. I would rather take the guy with the high ceiling. Lundell isn't someone I touch in the top 10.

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
On the NCAA free agent track, has anyone watching Zac Jones got a good look at Mitchell Chaffer?

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
To be honest, his game is eerily similar to Lias' pre draft. He is just about average in every aspect of the game besides his IQ. I would rather take the guy with the high ceiling. Lundell isn't someone I touch in the top 10.
His game is nothing like Andersson. Just because the term "high floor" "200 foot game" is used, that does not suddenly mean that the person does not have high end skills.

If you think that Lundell's game is average, you will be severely disappointed in this entire draft, including most of the first round.

Reactions: GeorgeKaplan

Steve Kournianos

@thedraftanalyst
The funny thing is I've never quite gotten the Franchise feel from Lundell --- ever. He's always seemed like a very nice second line prospect to me.

I think he has top-line potential but in a Stepan circa 2015 kind of way, as in he can be a top center on a deep team with strong wingers, kill penalties and solve problems but won't be a top-25 scorer.

Some people are infatuated with him. I don't know if it's anchoring or I'm missing something. Then again, if the Rangers pick him at 11 or 15 I won't be upset.

Steve Kournianos

@thedraftanalyst
Interesting that you put Mysak in there. But only in the context of the entire post as I view his game as a player that plays well at both ends.

Mysak is a lot of fun to watch. Plays for a crap team with locker room issues and some in-fighting. Tough place to be for a star prospect but he's earned his ice time and get regular minutes. He would destroy the DHL Cup but Litvinov actually needs him. I think his Hlinka really turned off scouts but he's been excellent since, considering his situation.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
I think he has top-line potential but in a Stepan circa 2015 kind of way, as in he can be a top center on a deep team with strong wingers, kill penalties and solve problems but won't be a top-25 scorer.

Some people are infatuated with him. I don't know if it's anchoring or I'm missing something. Then again, if the Rangers pick him at 11 or 15 I won't be upset.

I think that last part is a key point that drives conversation --- it all depends on where the Rangers are picking.

If we end up in the top 10, I think I'd rather go for something a bit more dynamic --- someone who has the potential to really break a game open.

If we're sitting in the 11-15 range, there are other names I'm more comfortable. Personally, I have Lundell and Halloway at the head of the second tier group of players that don't have that same out-of-you-seat wow factor, but could be very effective NHL players.

bigdog16

Nov 7, 2013
USA
His game is nothing like Andersson. Just because the term "high floor" "200 foot game" is used, that does not suddenly mean that the person does not have high end skills.

If you think that Lundell's game is average, you will be severely disappointed in this entire draft, including most of the first round.

And I guess we will disagree there. I think him and Andersson play very similar games, Lundell moves a bit better. Name 1 thing he is above average at besides "Hockey IQ". I think he is an average first rounder. I wouldn't touch him in the top 10. Some team will take him 10-15 and bank on him hitting his ceiling as a 2c. If his stats don't improve at all this year that's a pretty telling sign

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Mysak is a lot of fun to watch. Plays for a crap team with locker room issues and some in-fighting. Tough place to be for a star prospect but he's earned his ice time and get regular minutes. He would destroy the DHL Cup but Litvinov actually needs him. I think his Hlinka really turned off scouts but he's been excellent since, considering his situation.
He is my dark horse for the Rangers. On potential alone, I place him above both Lundell and Holloway. He could also be a player that rockets into the top 10 of the draft. If the Rangers walk away with any of the three, I will be quite happy.

Both Lundell and Holloway could be the type of players that first start off on the third line and then progress. If we take a somewhat optimistic view of the Rangers, both players could replace Chytil when he replaces Zbad. But that is still years away. Mysak, though, could make an impact immediately.

Reactions: Mac n Gs

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
And I guess we will disagree there. I think him and Andersson play very similar games, Lundell moves a bit better. Name 1 thing he is above average at besides "Hockey IQ". I think he is an average first rounder. I wouldn't touch him in the top 10. Some team will take him 10-15 and bank on him hitting his ceiling as a 2c. If his stats don't improve at all this year that's a pretty telling sign

I would say Lundell is much more of playmaker who sets up plays than Andersson was --- Andersson's MO was basically getting to the right places at the right times to make something happen.

Likewise, Lundell doesn't have the edge to his game that Andersson did. He's not a guy whose going to necessarily go into the corner, nor is he the guy that's going to punched in the mush to knock a loose puck into the net.

I would also say at the same stage, Andersson was pegged as more of an all-around player, whereas Lundell is generally recognized more for his IQ and how he uses it to put up points.

Reactions: bigdog16

B17 Apricots

May 18, 2016
I've seen Rossi ranked inside the top 10 and just outside it, if they're around that 10 spot is that a realistic pick?

LeetchisGod

This is a bad hockey team.
May 21, 2009
Washington, DC
I think that we should prioritize obtaining forwards that can shoot the puck in this draft. That seems to be a major organizational weakness.

Joey Bones

***** 2k16
Jul 27, 2012
Nowhere
Finally some full mocks to start looking at....

2020 NHL Mock Draft & Simulator | Tankathon

1 (15) C: Connor Zary (CAN)(6'0"/174lbs., Shot: Left, Kamloops/WHL)

2020 NHL Mock Draft | 2020 NHL Draft | NHL Draft

1 (14) LW: Rodion Amirov (RUS)(6'0"/167lbs., Shot: Left, Ufa/KHL)

2020 NHL Mock Draft - NHL - DraftSite.com

1 (13) C/LW: Dylan Holloway (CAN)(6'0"/191lbs., Shot: Left, U. of Wisconsin/NCAA)
3 (75) RW: Ryder Rolston (USA)(6'1"/167lbs., Shot: Right, Waterloo/USHL) *20/21 U. of Notre Dame commit*
3 (83) D: Kasper Puutio (FIN)(6'0"/185lbs., Shot: Right, Swift Current/WHL)
4 (106) LW: Elliot Desnoyers (CAN)(5'9"/178lbs., Shot: Left, Moncton/QMJHL)
5 (137) LW: Cole Shepard (CAN)(5'8"/152lbs., Shot: Left, Vancouver/WHL)
6 (168) RW: Filip Wiberg (SWE)(6'1"/185lbs., Shot: Right, Karlskrona J20/SuperElit)
7 (197) C: Oleg Zaitsev (RUS)(6'1"/190lbs., Shot: Left, Tver/VHL) *Overage +1*
7 (199) RW: Matthew Sutton(USA)(5'9"/160lbs., Shot: Right, Omaha/USHL) *20/21 Brown U. commit*
7 (203) G: Charles-Antoine Lavallee (6'2"/209lbs., Catches: Left, Shawinigan/QMJHL)

Thoughts? I'll be honest, haven't been keeping up as well this year. From initial viewing, this looks fine to me.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
Would be typical Rongos to end up with a pick that falls just outside the drop off of elite talent at the off chance we make the play offs for a first round exit

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
I’d be most happy coming away with Holloway out of those 3 options, followed second by Zary.

I really like both players, within the proper context.

Last edited:
Reactions: Joey Bones
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad