2020 Draft & Undrafted Free Agent Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
I’d be most happy coming away with Holloway out of those 3 options, followed second by Zary.

I really like both players, within the proper context.
On two of those 3, I would have a hard time passing on Mysak. The one where Holloway is the choice, is just fine.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
On two of those 3, I would have a hard time passing on Mysak. The one where Holloway is the choice, is just fine.

I suspect Holloway might be a somewhat contentious choice for our fan base to get behind.

His college numbers aren't going to leap off the page, and truthfully, I will admit to expecting a bit more production from him.

On his best nights, he looks like a Swiss Army Knife player who is going to look better as a pro than he does as an amateur. Other nights, I see some Steve Kelly in him.

Reactions: Joey Bones

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
I suspect Holloway might be a somewhat contentious choice for our fan base to get behind.
I think that we already proved that over the last 6 weeks or so.

Let's face it, both Lundell and Holloway will make for the angry mob to come out.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
I will say that I'm not sure I see a high upside/ reasonable risk type when you get to the teens right now. Obviously there is still a long way for things to shake out, but right now if the Rangers pick 10-15, it's going to be difficult.

In that range, you start getting into very solid second line player types --- Lundell, Holloway, Zary, etc. And frankly, while I think this team needs some dynamic higher-end talent, I also don't think it's also in the position to miss with the pick either.

This is the weird dynamic I was somewhat concerned with. We've essentially propelled ourselves into the dreaded middle, but it's already becoming obvious that our system needs more eggs in the basket. A few prospects start having hiccups and suddenly we're reminded how vulnerable we can become when optimistically projecting our chickens before they hatch.

I love what Panarin is doing, and appreciate what Trouba brings, but they also run the risk of masking longer-term concerns while we fawn over their immense talent. This is still a team that needs firepower over the long haul. Can we find it in the 10-15 range this year? Eh, I'm not so sure about that. And that's why I'm thinking a trade might be the most likely path. In which case, this year's pick would probably be more of the support variety.

So in short, I think the firepower is likely to come from a trade, whereas the depth might be the approach for this draft.

GeorgeKaplan

Dec 19, 2011
New Jersey
I will say that I'm not sure I see a high upside/ reasonable risk type when you get to the teens right now. Obviously there is still a long way for things to shake out, but right now if the Rangers pick 10-15, it's going to be difficult.

In that range, you start getting into very solid second line player types --- Lundell, Holloway, Zary, etc. And frankly, while I think this team needs some dynamic higher-end talent, I also don't think it's also in the position to miss with the pick either.

This is the weird dynamic I was somewhat concerned with. We've essentially propelled ourselves into the dreaded middle, but it's already becoming obvious that our system needs more eggs in the basket. A few prospects start having hiccups and suddenly we're reminded how vulnerable we can become when optimistically projecting our chickens before they hatch.

I love what Panarin is doing, and appreciate what Trouba brings, but they also run the risk of masking longer-term concerns while we fawn over their immense talent. This is still a team that needs firepower over the long haul. Can we find it in the 10-15 range this year? Eh, I'm not so sure about that. And that's why I'm thinking a trade might be the most likely path. In which case, this year's pick would probably be more of the support variety.

So in short, I think the firepower is likely to come from a trade, whereas the depth might be the approach for this draft.
And here I was trying to live in the now and forget about how much I don’t like bringing in Panarin and Trouba

Brooklyn Rangers Fan

Change is good.
Aug 23, 2005
Brooklyn & Upstate

But by the same token, if you didn't have those two, that's two more top end talents you'd need to acquire (with 2-3 more behind them as insurance given the risk of busting).

As for the more dynamic / reasonable risk guys, 1) there's always the lottery again :) and 2) the hope is that you see what happened in 2019 with Seider, Broberg, and to a lesser extent, Soderstrom, happen again, driving a Boldy/Caufield/Newhook into our sights.

All that being said, I can definitely see them spending from their plethora of backend talent to acquire missing pieces when the time comes.

Reactions: jas

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
It looks like Lucas Raymond will miss the WJCs. He have been out for a long time with some virus infection that isn’t getting better. The docs have been testing him a ton to make sure that it’s not something else since he isn’t getting better, and recently had an external team of docs run a full test on him since his lack of progress is puzzling, but as of yet they have no answers.

Would surely affect his draft position, and maybe not optimal for Karl Henriksson either in the WJC.

Reactions: egelband

Lion Hound

@JoeTucc26
Mar 12, 2007
Montauk NY
TSN on Jamie Drysdale.
If the Islanders don't loan Noah Dobson to Team Canada, then Jamie Drysdale will officially make the cut becoming just the seventh 17-year-old to crack Canada's blue line since 1991 joining Aaron Ekblad, Ryan Ellis, Jay Boumeester, Chris Phillips, Wade Redden and Scott Niedermayer. "He's a genius out there," gushed assistant coach André Tourigny. "Seriously, he's so smart ... everything you teach him he does it right away."

https://www.tsn.ca/hockey-canada/vi...-poised-to-crack-canada-s-d-at-age-17~1854032

Bob McKenzie -TSN - Sept. 16th: "Drysdale is a marvellous skater. He’s not just fast but also agile and his edge work is outstanding. He can easily skate the puck up the ice – scouts marvel at how hard it is to forecheck against Drysdale – or he’s adept at making passes to get the offence started."

Craig Button -TSN - Sept. 16th: "Skating is his calling card and he uses it in every zone. Defensively to beat pressure, neutral zone to join the rush and offensive zone to press the attack. Plays with a daring confidence."

Joey Bones

***** 2k16
Jul 27, 2012
Nowhere
TSN on Jamie Drysdale.
If the Islanders don't loan Noah Dobson to Team Canada, then Jamie Drysdale will officially make the cut becoming just the seventh 17-year-old to crack Canada's blue line since 1991 joining Aaron Ekblad, Ryan Ellis, Jay Boumeester, Chris Phillips, Wade Redden and Scott Niedermayer. "He's a genius out there," gushed assistant coach André Tourigny. "Seriously, he's so smart ... everything you teach him he does it right away."

https://www.tsn.ca/hockey-canada/vi...-poised-to-crack-canada-s-d-at-age-17~1854032

Bob McKenzie -TSN - Sept. 16th: "Drysdale is a marvellous skater. He’s not just fast but also agile and his edge work is outstanding. He can easily skate the puck up the ice – scouts marvel at how hard it is to forecheck against Drysdale – or he’s adept at making passes to get the offence started."

Craig Button -TSN - Sept. 16th: "Skating is his calling card and he uses it in every zone. Defensively to beat pressure, neutral zone to join the rush and offensive zone to press the attack. Plays with a daring confidence."

Big fan of his early. Probably the only defenseman I’d take with NYR’s 1st.

Joey Bones

***** 2k16
Jul 27, 2012
Nowhere
With what was said at the beginning of this page, I think there is a lot more risk in this class being seen now than before.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
With what was said at the beginning of this page, I think there is a lot more risk in this class being seen now than before.

It's a good crop, with some appealing talent. But I think for two years it was pounded into everyone's head that this had the potential to be a monster draft, and I don't think it's there.

Projecting a draft multiple years out can make for fun conversation, but it's difficult. Sometimes you end up with a draft class like 2003. Other times you end up a notch or two below that, like 1997. It doesn't mean 1997 wasn't a very good draft, but it wasn't on par with where it was initially projected.

There's some very good, potential second line talent in this draft. But I don't yet see a Turcotte or Zegras who makes you re-evaluate your stance. I don't know if I see scenarios where guys slip in this draft not because of their play but because other prospects simply pushed their way into the conversation.

I'm seeing some dynamic talent in the top 10, albeit talent that has more question marks than last year, and then I'm seeing steady, but not necessarily spectacular talent just beyond.

It's something to consider when we talk about taking pick swings outside the top 10 or so. This might be a draft where you're better off going with the guy who doesn't knock your socks off, but looks like an NHL player.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
I really think he’s gonna drop. Underwhelming year, for sure. Not at all his fault.

I am struggling to determine where I have the drop. Right now I have it around 9. But there are a few guys in that top 9, for a variety of reasons, that have me a little uneasy. Raymond is one of those guys. I know he’s capable of being a top tier talent in this draft, but now you have to try and separate what’s him, what’s illness, etc.

I have a goalie in the top 9, and I feel like I can’t not have him there, but it’s a goalie - which feels like putting a firecracker into a draw of matches.

Perfetti is posting great numbers, but there’s aspects of his game that screams “junior-style” player. You could, in theory make the same claim about Stutzle, though he is electric when he’s on. Rossi is a guy who is having a monster season and forcing his way into the conversation. But he looks like a wing at the NHL level to me and he makes some of the other smaller players look like behemoths.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
I really think he’s gonna drop. Underwhelming year, for sure. Not at all his fault.

Some concerns surrounding Raymond, after talking to some people at the u20 tournament, is his attitude. While it's common knowledge that Gunler is passed over at times for the national team due to his attitude/personality, with Raymond it's definitely new. I think he will still go top-10 but closer to 10 than to 3.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
Such a strange time of year.

The number of games played still needs to even-out, but you’re essentially looking at 2 points being the difference between sitting in the playoffs like Tampa, or picking 8th in the draft.

Reactions: Joey Bones

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
Such a strange time of year.

The number of games played still needs to even-out, but you’re essentially looking at 2 points being the difference between sitting in the playoffs like Tampa, or picking 8th in the draft.
It is, but I think we're starting to see who this team really is with a majority of our top-9 running cold. I'm still seeing a team that lacks an identity and the extra firepower required to compete with the top teams in the league. We're a 4-point swing from being a bottom-5 team in the league, and I still think we'll end up in that 5-9 range when all things are said and done.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
It is, but I think we're starting to see who this team really is with a majority of our top-9 running cold. I'm still seeing a team that lacks an identity and the extra firepower required to compete with the top teams in the league. We're a 4-point swing from being a bottom-5 team in the league, and I still think we'll end up in that 5-9 range when all things are said and done.

I pegged them picking 8-12 this year.

Can we win the lottery and both be wrong?

Joey Bones

***** 2k16
Jul 27, 2012
Nowhere
I am struggling to determine where I have the drop. Right now I have it around 9. But there are a few guys in that top 9, for a variety of reasons, that have me a little uneasy. Raymond is one of those guys. I know he’s capable of being a top tier talent in this draft, but now you have to try and separate what’s him, what’s illness, etc.

I have a goalie in the top 9, and I feel like I can’t not have him there, but it’s a goalie - which feels like putting a firecracker into a draw of matches.

Perfetti is posting great numbers, but there’s aspects of his game that screams “junior-style” player. You could, in theory make the same claim about Stutzle, though he is electric when he’s on. Rossi is a guy who is having a monster season and forcing his way into the conversation. But he looks like a wing at the NHL level to me and he makes some of the other smaller players look like behemoths.

For the sake of argument, it feels like Rossi is turning out to be a player most thought he couldn’t be. Glad he’s showing what he’s capable of!!

I have Raymond in a weird spot, too. I want him to do good, because he really can be. Just not given the right opportunities. Even then, you’d hope he’d push. We’ll see how he does in the WJC (which he was just cleared for).

Perfetti is someone that strikes me in the Scheifele way. A guy that some might think is a bust after drafting, but put it together down the road. IMO, I think he’ll do fine in the NHL.

And I do think Askarov will go very high this year. A goalie in the top 10 is something that hasn’t happened in a while!!

Reactions: Edge

Joey Bones

***** 2k16
Jul 27, 2012
Nowhere
Said it last season, but Timur Bilyalov looks to be on NHL radars now. Deservedly so.

Add another to the potential undrafted free agent list!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad