2020 Draft & Undrafted Free Agent Thread: Part III

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joey Bones

***** 2k16
Jul 27, 2012
Nowhere
What I’m learning in that draft simulator is that it would not be hard to trade our two firsts to get up to 7-8-9 and nab a falling Holtz.

The algorithm used for the simulator needs tweaking. It also has the Rangers picking 16 & 21, which also isn’t likely. I wouldn’t take the trading seriously from it.

Reactions: mschmidt64

Harbour Dog

Jul 16, 2015
St. John's
The algorithm used for the simulator needs tweaking. It also has the Rangers picking 16 & 21, which also isn’t likely. I wouldn’t take the trading seriously from it.

They've re-worked the order and the trading algorithm as of yesterday or the day before. We default to 14th and 22nd now I believe, and it is expensive to trade up.

The trades still feel unrealistic, so I avoid them, but it is much better than it was a few days ago.

Harbour Dog

Jul 16, 2015
St. John's
Honestly, the most fun thing for me with that simulator, is being forced to learn about the prospects that are around with our later picks.

I'm just taking the board's word for the most part on the first round guys, but in the later rounds I have found myself reading scouting reports and watching videos of guys pretty often.

Joey Bones

***** 2k16
Jul 27, 2012
Nowhere
They've re-worked the order and the trading algorithm as of yesterday or the day before. We default to 14th and 22nd now I believe, and it is expensive to trade up.

The trades still feel unrealistic, so I avoid them, but it is much better than it was a few days ago.

Okay, good. Haven’t used it in a couple of days. Glad they’re working on it!!

Ghost of jas

Unsatisfied
Feb 27, 2002
NJ
Honestly, the most fun thing for me with that simulator, is being forced to learn about the prospects that are around with our later picks.

I'm just taking the board's word for the most part on the first round guys, but in the later rounds I have found myself reading scouting reports and watching videos of guys pretty often.

Yeah, I'm liking players like Dylan Peterson. Michael Gut, Maxim Groshev and Brandon Coe, (just to name a few) in the later rounds. Of course, most of my simulations are forward-heavy, although there a few Dmen like Brock Faber, Jack Thompson and Alexander Nikishin that look like Ranger-type picks.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
Lundell is a player who has dropped on a lot of lists, due to his injury in late 2019, causing him to miss the WJC. A lot of lists base their rankings on WJC performances when it comes to EU skaters. In Liiga, Lundell has been a really good center for 2 years now. He may not be flashy, but he controls the game, makes smart plays and is a great 2-way player on one a solid team. I think he is still a top-10 talent and if he falls to the 13-15 range, whoever picks him will get a great player. A steal.

I think it's unlikely that the Rangers are going to reach any higher than 8 unless somehow we win on the lottery again. Hopefully--but two years in a row?

My guess would be that Lafreniere, Byfield, Stutzle, Drysdale, Rossi and Holtz for sure will not make it to 8. After those guys I would put the group of Raymond, Perfetti, Lundell and Sanderson and somewhere in the 7-11 range someone takes Askarov. Depending--Gunler and Amirov might fall in with that bunch and make it a 7-13 range or they could drop all the way down into the 20's. There doesn't seem as wide a consensus on them. Some like those two a lot and some not so much. So that's the group of players it would seem we would be trading up for if we were to do that. If Amirov, Gunler are getting taken in that 7-10 range and a Zary or a Quinn after someone like Raymond or Lundell might fall pretty much in our laps without us having to trade up at all. Just saying. Drafts can really unravel in unexpected ways. I like Holloway, Jarvis, Mercer and Khusnutdinov a lot too. That earlier pick---there's almost no way we should f*** that up.

Lundell would be a truly excellent get for us though. I could see moving up a little to get him dependent on cost.

Drew4u

Jul 22, 2016
My reservations aside, this Eichel stuff is getting humorous. A GM in trouble isn't going to trade his best player for a bag of toys. Buffalo has two more years to move him before NTC kicks in. If you seriously want to trade for Eichel. you probably have to start any deal with Mika.

Why would the sabres have any interest in Mika. It would involve Kakko+++

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
My reservations aside, this Eichel stuff is getting humorous. A GM in trouble isn't going to trade his best player for a bag of toys. Buffalo has two more years to move him before NTC kicks in. If you seriously want to trade for Eichel. you probably have to start any deal with Mika.

I don't think I'd want to do that to Mika---and the package idea would disappear right there.

GM's do get desperate sometimes and do desperate things. So I don't know--I think Botterill is not a very good one anyway and I don't think the Pegula's are very good or savvy owners either. When a player wants out that's another thing especially if it's an elite player. Someone like Eichel making a stink all the time reflects badly on a franchise. Erik Karlsson on the outs with Ottawa. Eric Lindros on the outs with the Flyers. Gretzky on the outs with the Oilers. Jaromir Jagr on the outs with the Caps. All these players forced their way out. Messier more than less forced himself out of Edmonton and later on out of Vancouver to go back to the Rangers.

Though there are 29 teams other than the Rangers so maybe they will get a more elite player for Eichel by going elsewhere but generally it seems that more often than not these kinds of things turn into package deals and the Rangers are a team with a load of young assets.

Reactions: egelband

bobbop

Henrik & Pop
Sponsor
May 27, 2004
Now, Suburban Phoenix. Then, Long Island
I don't think I'd want to do that to Mika---and the package idea would disappear right there.

GM's do get desperate sometimes and do desperate things. So I don't know--I think Botterill is not a very good one anyway and I don't think the Pegula's are very good or savvy owners either. When a player wants out that's another thing especially if it's an elite player. Someone like Eichel making a stink all the time reflects badly on a franchise. Erik Karlsson on the outs with Ottawa. Eric Lindros on the outs with the Flyers. Gretzky on the outs with the Oilers. Jaromir Jagr on the outs with the Caps. All these players forced their way out. Messier more than less forced himself out of Edmonton and later on out of Vancouver to go back to the Rangers.

Though there are 29 teams other than the Rangers so maybe they will get a more elite player for Eichel by going elsewhere but generally it seems that more often than not these kinds of things turn into package deals and the Rangers are a team with a load of young assets.
Botterill can’t make a move like this without the owners. If the Sabres are going to start another rebuilding phase, it won’t be with Botterill. The Pegulas have been pretty adamant about not considering an a Eichel trade. Maybe in two years thing will change before a NTC kicks in.

Reactions: egelband

egelband

Sep 6, 2008

I think the Rangers “elite” offer would include one of Fox, Mika, or Igor. A combo of ADA and Kakko would be very impressive too. Buffalo would expect to get at least one of those or else they’d look elsewhere. They have plenty of leverage and options.
I’m not saying the Rangers would or should do it. Just saying that sending a grab bag of lesser talent and picks isn’t landing Eichel. Maybe in a few years, sure. But not now.

Also I can’t imagine Panarin, Kreider, or Trouba getting moved in any case.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
Botterill can’t make a move like this without the owners. If the Sabres are going to start another rebuilding phase, it won’t be with Botterill. The Pegulas have been pretty adamant about not considering an a Eichel trade. Maybe in two years thing will change before a NTC kicks in.

They've adamantly protected Botterill too and he's not very good. One would think his time is coming.

Eichel I'm sure could force his way out if he decided to and I think if that did happen the Sabres would take a package deal. I would think they'd get more for Eichel than the Senators got for Erik Karlsson but I'm kind of doubting they'd get an equivalent player to Jack. However if they can parlay that into 3 or 4 quality players it at least begins to diversify and deepen the team.

To me the entire atmosphere around that team sucks and players around the league know it.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
I think the Rangers “elite” offer would include one of Fox, Mika, or Igor. A combo of ADA and Kakko would be very impressive too. Buffalo would expect to get at least one of those or else they’d look elsewhere. They have plenty of leverage and options.
I’m not saying the Rangers would or should do it. Just saying that sending a grab bag of lesser talent and picks isn’t landing Eichel. Maybe in a few years, sure. But not now.

They'd have to look somewhere else if Mika or Igor are involved. I wouldn't do that.

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
They'd have to look somewhere else if Mika or Igor are involved. I wouldn't do that.
Yeah. I don’t think I would trade any of those elite assets. But I also didn’t want them to sign Panarin. And I feel I was way wrong on that one.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad

How many teams can top a package centered around ADA and Chytil?

We have multiple 1sts in this draft and one of the best farms in the league. If he becomes available and we want in on that, we're as well positioned as anyone.

NYRFANMANI

Department of Rempe Safety Management
Apr 21, 2007
yo old soorbrockon
How do people feel about Lukas Reichel or JJ Peterka with our later 1st?

Not entirely sold on either for late 1st. If, I'd like Peterka more, since Reichel striked me as a playmaking type.
Peterka surprized me with major offense in the WJC, poise and a nose for the puck.

NYRFANMANI

Department of Rempe Safety Management
Apr 21, 2007
yo old soorbrockon
How many teams can top a package centered around ADA and Chytil?

We have multiple 1sts in this draft and one of the best farms in the league. If he becomes available and we want in on that, we're as well positioned as anyone.

Not many, that's for sure. Those two guys should be super valuable. Chytil should look to break out (next) season.

Mikos87

Mar 19, 2002
Visit site
I like Peterka as an option. High floor, mid level ceiling type of player.

He can skate, and shoot really well. I wouldn't be surprised if a team like EDM takes him and hits a nice double with him. I think he can play in the next two years. The skating, size and shot are pro ready.

Really liked his play at the WJC.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad