2020 Draft & Undrafted Free Agent Thread: Part III

Status
Not open for further replies.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
Yeah. I don’t think I would trade any of those elite assets. But I also didn’t want them to sign Panarin. And I feel I was way wrong on that one.

Oh, I wanted the Rangers to sign Panarin so badly. To get to the top you really need to get elite level players and having more than one is kind of important......and getting them before they start their decline. Henrik was an elite player. He's not anymore but the main reason we were a very good team for a good dozen or so years. Now we have both Panarin and Zibanejad who could both be classified as elite with the possibility of Kakko and Shesterkin joining them in the future and with guys like Fox, DeAngelo, Kreider and Trouba in the background and with a lot more talent on the way. Elite players make players around them better. The problem sooner or later will be the cap but if you look at how Pittsburgh managed to stay on top so long--one of the things you see is that Crosby and Malkin have been turning teammates into much better players and sometimes when necessary you move some of them and maybe you get more value back for them because of the strides they made as players playing with the superstars. There are also things that Pittsburgh is not doing right to learn from because in this long process they've also managed to have finally decimated their development system as their elite players in the meantime are aging out.

Eventually guys like Kakko and Chytil will get a chance with Panarin and will be the better for it. So we're in an excellent spot for the next say 15 years anyway and Panarin is going to be a huge part of seeing that to fruition. If the Rangers got Eichel as well that will certainly have cap ramifications but the Rangers have load of guys on ELC's and second contracts that helps at least to offset some of those issues.

Reactions: egelband

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
Today's simulated draft I found pretty interesting. I let the site pick everyone expect I do the Rangers picks. This is how the first round went--Anaheim and Buffalo moved up to 2 and 3 respectively in the lottery:

Det. 1 Lafreniere
Ana 2 Stutzel
Buf 3 Byfield
Ott 4 Drysdale
Ott 5 Rossi
LA 6 Quinn
NJ 7 Holtz
Mtl 8 Raymond
Chi 9 Sanderson
NJ 10 Perfetti
Min 11 Askarov
Win 12 Lapierre
Cal 13 Mercer
Ran 14 Lundell (with Holloway, Jarvis and Amirov still on the board)
NJ 15 Zary
Nas 16 Gunler
Fla 17 Amirov
Cbs 18 Guhle
Car 19 Brisson (this is when I really started thinking that one of Jarvis or Holloway was going to be at 22 but certainly not both)
Edm 20 Khusnutdinov
Ott 21 Cormier
Ran 22 Holloway (but Jarvis was there too)
Min 23 Jarvis
Dal 24 Peterka
Ana 25 Mysak
Phi 26 Foerster
Was 27 Bourque
SJ 28 Schneider
Col 29 Hirvonen
Stl 30 Bordeleau
Ana 31 Andrae

The Rangers draft then:

14. Anton Lundell-C
22. Dylan Holloway-C
76. Dylan Peterson-C (Sourdif had been taken at 75--Benning, Pytlik and Groshev still on board)
86. Maxim Groshev-RW (1st of 6 Russian players)
107. Samuel Knazko-LD
138. Yegor Sokolov-LW (huge Russian overager playing in the Q)
169. Dmitri Zlodeyev-C
200. Maxim Beryozkin-LW
201. Pavel Tyutnev-C
202. Vsevolod Skotnikov-G (decided to give Benoit somebody new to play with)

Ghost of jas

Unsatisfied
Feb 27, 2002
NJ
Today's simulated draft I found pretty interesting. I let the site pick everyone expect I do the Rangers picks. This is how the first round went--Anaheim and Buffalo moved up to 2 and 3 respectively in the lottery:

Det. 1 Lafreniere
Ana 2 Stutzel
Buf 3 Byfield
Ott 4 Drysdale
Ott 5 Rossi
LA 6 Quinn
NJ 7 Holtz
Mtl 8 Raymond
Chi 9 Sanderson
NJ 10 Perfetti
Min 11 Askarov
Win 12 Lapierre
Cal 13 Mercer
Ran 14 Lundell (with Holloway, Jarvis and Amirov still on the board)
NJ 15 Zary
Nas 16 Gunler
Fla 17 Amirov
Cbs 18 Guhle
Car 19 Brisson (this is when I really started thinking that one of Jarvis or Holloway was going to be at 22 but certainly not both)
Edm 20 Khusnutdinov
Ott 21 Cormier
Ran 22 Holloway (but Jarvis was there too)
Min 23 Jarvis
Dal 24 Peterka
Ana 25 Mysak
Phi 26 Foerster
Was 27 Bourque
SJ 28 Schneider
Col 29 Hirvonen
Stl 30 Bordeleau
Ana 31 Andrae

The Rangers draft then:

14. Anton Lundell-C
22. Dylan Holloway-C
76. Dylan Peterson-C (Sourdif had been taken at 75--Benning, Pytlik and Groshev still on board)
86. Maxim Groshev-RW (1st of 6 Russian players)

107. Samuel Knazko-LD
138. Yegor Sokolov-LW (huge Russian overager playing in the Q)
169. Dmitri Zlodeyev-C
200. Maxim Beryozkin-LW
201. Pavel Tyutnev-C

202. Vsevolod Skotnikov-G (decided to give Benoit somebody new to play with)

These are names that keep intriguing me. I look for Peterson and Groshev to be on the board when I do the draft simulator.

Reactions: eco's bones

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
These are names that keep intriguing me. I look for Peterson and Groshev to be on the board when I do the draft simulator.

When we get into the later rounds I like the idea of guys who can skate and are hard to play against. Sometimes more talented guys fall for a reason and sometimes that's because they're not hard to play against.

Reactions: egelband and bl02

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
The Rangers draft then:

14. Anton Lundell-C
22. Dylan Holloway-C

I would imagine the Rangers would be over the moon with that kind of draft. As well as Mysak in that 22 spot.

Don't know if/where Jarvis is on their list, but I would imagine they have a pretty clear opinion on him one way or the other based on the amount of time they've been spending in the WHL the last few years.

Reactions: Trxjw and Mikos87

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
I would imagine the Rangers would be over the moon with that kind of draft. As well as Mysak in that 22 spot.

Don't know if/where Jarvis is on their list, but I would imagine they have a pretty clear opinion on him one way or the other based on the amount of time they've been spending in the WHL the last few years.

I would be surprised actually that both players were available in those spots. It's just how that draftsim worked out today for some reason. Got lots of time to play around with it. That site seems very high on Lapierre but that guy seems like an injury waiting to happen to me.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
I would be surprised actually that both players were available in those spots. It's just how that draftsim worked out today for some reason. Got lots of time to play around with it. That site seems very high on Lapierre but that guy seems like an injury waiting to happen to me.

I would be surprised if Lundell, Holloway, etc. were all available in the respective slots were talking about. Very surprised.

I think you could get a combination of two of Holloway, Mysak, Amirov or Jarvis, but I don't think you get Lundell and still have all of them sitting there in the 20s.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
I would be surprised if Lundell, Holloway, etc. were all available in the respective slots were talking about. Very surprised.

I think you could get a combination of two of Holloway, Mysak, Amirov or Jarvis, but I don't think you get Lundell and still have all of them sitting there in the 20s.

Seems more realistic to expect that one or both of Holloway and Jarvis are available at 14 (if that's where we end up) than Lundell will get there. Players do drop and it's possible but it doesn't seem a good bet even so. I would think my experience today on that site was an outlier. If we're getting that lucky use it to win the lottery instead.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011

With their WHL scouting being beefed up, and the org trusting that part of the scouting crew, it wouldn't be crazy to think Jarvis is at least on their radar

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Snipped a bit

Not sure how realistic this is but the common trade up I see based on value would be Rangers up to 8 (and 39/40) using both their 1sts an extra pick, usually to take Holtz.

Is that something the people would rather do?

bl02

Jan 13, 2014
Snipped a bit

Not sure how realistic this is but the common trade up I see based on value would be Rangers up to 8 (and 39/40) using both their 1sts an extra pick, usually to take Holtz.

Is that something the people would rather do?
If let’s say we are picking 13/23ish there is no way a team like montreal who needs a High level potential talent way more than us trades up an opportunity to draft a Holtz. No way. If we lose play in round hope for lottery win which isn’t impossible or hope Arizona minn Chicago win their play in round

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Also, depending on how board breaks, I don’t think Peterka is going to be a reach with Rangers second pick. Think he is going to be a riser.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
If let’s say we are picking 13/23ish there is no way a team like montreal who needs a High level potential talent way more than us trades up an opportunity to draft a Holtz. No way. If we lose play in round hope for lottery win which isn’t impossible or hope Arizona minn Chicago win their play in round
Sure. Hypothetic situation of course. I do not think it’s easy to trade up and not having a 2nd rounder hurts a bit. Does a 1st and a 3rd move to Rangers up to like 10-12 toget Quinn? Hard to say.

bl02

Jan 13, 2014
Sure. Hypothetic situation of course. I do not think it’s easy to trade up and not having a 2nd rounder hurts a bit. Does a 1st and a 3rd move to Rangers up to like 10-12 toget Quinn? Hard to say.
I guess depends where we are slotted with our first pick. That third maybe pushes us up one slot maybe two in a perfect scenario and of course if Gorton and company like Quinn that much. So our 13/14th overall and one third to move up and grab Quinn if he’s there at 12. Anyway won’t matter if we lose play in round we will win a top 3 pick and draft Stutzle

Reactions: egelband

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
On draftsim again--kid you not---Minnesota wins the lottery and moves up 10 spots. Montreal moves up 6 to No. 2. Minnesota takes Quinton Byfield. Montreal gets Lafreniere. I was like f*** that and stopped.

cwede

Sep 1, 2010
Nico Gross decison day

Interesting how the number of unsigned seems greater than ever.
At times I had noticed guys like Henman, McShane, Corcoran, Boudrias in other teams' pipelines

any one have particularly promising opinions of any guys on this list?

Jun012020CHLUnsigneds.png

CTRanger

N9Y4R
Jun 20, 2006
The Gold Coast
There are like a dozen legit first rd talents this year who are ‘01 birth years that missed last years draft by < 2 months. Seems like a lot. Has really helped the depth of this draft.

Reactions: Joey Bones

UnSandvich

Sep 7, 2017
One guy I'd like to see us take a look at in the middle rounds is Jack Finley (C, Spokane Chiefs). One of the latest birthdays in the draft (9/2/02), 6'5" 207lbs, and put up 19-38-57 in 61 GP. In a lot of the draft-sims I do, he's available at 107.

(Also, got Zary & Jarvis in my most recent one)

Matz03

May 5, 2015
Boulder, CO
I really do hope we can keep a pick in the low teens and low twenty’s at the least. Even with all he recent rankings coming out, we know that more d and likely a goalie will be picked vs. the rankings. Sanderson and Drysdale both likely top 10, when was the last only one d went top 10? Then likely a couple more D plus a goalie in the 10-20 range, Guhle, Schneider and Aslarov. I like our chances in adding solid depth at those spots, impact C and a 2nd line forward should be possible.

Reactions: eco's bones
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad