2020 Draft - Pick #187 - Kienan Draper

kliq

Dec 17, 2017
Red Wings executive vice president and general manager Steve Yzerman said that scouts have been closely following Kienan Draper the last few years and stressed that he earned his spot on the Wings' draft board.

"A couple of our scouts-one in Ontario who followed Kienan at St. Andrew's College last year, and one of our scouts who was following him in Chilliwack-they were pushing pretty hard," Yzerman said. "Kris and I had a brief conversation about it recently and initially I said, 'are you sure you want to put your son in that position?' and then ultimately, my answer to him was, 'your obligation is to do whatever is right for the Detroit Red Wings and I trust your judgement,' and I know that he did that."

Kris Draper said he wouldn't have selected his son if he didn't deserve it.

"Obviously I'm super proud, very excited, but my job is to draft prospects that I feel are going to be part of the Detroit Red Wings going forward," he said. "I believe in Kienan and just as importantly, guys on our staff believed in him as well, and that's how we ended up making that selection. He's continued to get better. He earned his position on our draft list by continuing to get better."

Like Father, Like Son: Kienan Draper drafted by the Red Wings

Thanks for posting, this makes the pick make more sense. Unfortunately the posters who are against this pick will likely just ignore this, dismiss this, or make up excuses as to why this is all BS. There minds are made made up, and likely nothing will satisfy them. This is why I dropped out of the convo, it’s pointless.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Will Scouching was on the winged wheel podcast discussing our draft and wasn't too big a fan of the Draper, Cotton or Stange picks. He gets on around 30 minutes in, and starts discussing the Wings later rounds around the 50 minute mark.

He said he hasn’t seen Draper play, so not sure how it’s relevant to this thread.

I appreciated his opinions on the players he has seen. It was nice to hear some nice things about Aucoin, and I understand his concerns with Cotton.

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020
I really don’t see how Cotton is a bad pick. He put up similar #s to Byram in both their usual D+1 years

Awful skater. Kind of reminds me of Danny Groulx from the early 00's. High junior level offense that simply won't translate.

EDIT: Here's a longer highlight reel that shows more of his skating.

Last edited:

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020
He said he hasn’t seen Draper play, so not sure how it’s relevant to this thread.

I appreciated his opinions on the players he has seen. It was nice to hear some nice things about Aucoin, and I understand his concerns with Cotton.

He mentioned that he didn't think Draper was a good value pick considering who was left undrafted. Will also didn't seem that high on Sebrango, as well.

Reactions: Killerjas

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
He mentioned that he didn't think Draper was a good value pick considering who was left undrafted. Will also didn't seem that high on Sebrango, as well.

Ok, but if he hasn’t see him what’s it based on? Do we need another unqualified opinion?

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
I really don’t see how Cotton is a bad pick. He put up similar #s to Byram in both their usual D+1 years

I’m not sure how well his game projects. I think he could be a PP guy at the next level, but the rest of his game needs some work.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
You watch a lot of St Andrews college lol? Maybe Draper projects as being able to play a defensive center role while Hillier can barely skate?

Why people pretend they know FA about anyone drafted in the seventh round is beyond me. You've watched a lot of Chase Bradley I'm sure to know those picks sucked. Cant believe they missed out on Hugo Ollas and Devon Levi!!!! Wow these 7th rounders suck compared to other teams
Hillier has highlight videos available. Average HS skater, good vision, but telegraphs his passes. the problem is that an average HS player is slower than an average player in Junior A.

We'll know a lot more this season if the CHL plays, they are both doing one year in juniors before heading to college.

I don't care for the pick, if I'm dong a crap shoot, I'd place my bets with Hakan, not the NA staff.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
Hillier has highlight videos available. Average HS skater, good vision, but telegraphs his passes. the problem is that an average HS player is slower than an average player in Junior A.

We'll know a lot more this season if the CHL plays, they are both doing one year in juniors before heading to college.

I don't care for the pick, if I'm dong a crap shoot, I'd place my bets with Hakan, not the NA staff.

What does the average highschool skater look like at St Andrews college or in the loop they play in lol? I actually know a couple guys I went to school with who teach at St Andrews and I couldnt tell you much about the quality of that league at all and I watch a tonne of prospects and follow a lot of local hockey.

Its not like this is Minnesota highschool hockey, this is random Canadian high school hockey.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
What does the average highschool skater look like at St Andrews college or in the loop they play in lol? I actually know a couple guys I went to school with who teach at St Andrews and I couldnt tell you much about the quality of that league at all and I watch a tonne of prospects and follow a lot of local hockey.

Its not like this is Minnesota highschool hockey, this is random Canadian high school hockey.
I posted the highlight video for Hillier earlier, go take a look. He's not using speed to get his points, that much is obvious. Assuming the play on regulation size rink, he definitely doesn't look fast at all.

Just makes me wonder about Keinan if he's not putting up points in a slow paced league.

Reactions: DatsyukToZetterberg

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012
I posted the highlight video for Hillier earlier, go take a look. He's not using speed to get his points, that much is obvious. Assuming the play on regulation size rink, he definitely doesn't look fast at all.

Just makes me wonder about Keinan if he's not putting up points in a slow paced league.

Hiller and Draper are both playing in the BCHL this year if you are interested in checking them out.

Reactions: Frk It and Winger98

KasperTheGrittyGhost

Jan 12, 2008
Michigan
I would have taken Pashin over Draper without question, but we should not act like he is super projectable as an NHL player either.
Totally with you! Pashin’s just shown a much more desirable skill set in a tougher league than what you see in Canadian high school. I’d prefer to bet on that if you’re looking at draft-eligibles in the 7th round. That being said, I would’ve bet on Pashin as early as the Stange pick and I’d have run to the phone at 132 so clearly I’m missing something the whole league saw.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
Totally with you! Pashin’s just shown a much more desirable skill set in a tougher league than what you see in Canadian high school. I’d prefer to bet on that if you’re looking at draft-eligibles in the 7th round. That being said, I would’ve bet on Pashin as early as the Stange pick and I’d have run to the phone at 132 so clearly I’m missing something the whole league saw.
Pashin is really undersized, but that's the kind of gamble I'd like to see the team take in the 7th round. Or take someone on just athletic abilities or physicality. Something that sticks out. The last 3 picks are just so bland you can't even find highlight videos.

Killerjas

Mar 6, 2017
Netherlands
Pashin is really undersized, but that's the kind of gamble I'd like to see the team take in the 7th round. Or take someone on just athletic abilities or physicality. Something that sticks out. The last 3 picks are just so bland you can't even find highlight videos.

Agree but Chase Bradley was quite good even though he was on the 3rd and 4th line. Scouching liked him, he is a bit of sleeper but hopefully he gets more minutes.

Reactions: alexislafreniere

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012

The problem is that he doesn't have high end puck skills or elite hockey IQ. How many 5'8" players in the NHL lack both of those attributes? I still would have rolled the dice on him (and like you before the 7th round) because I gravitate towards strong skating, high motor players, but he too is a major long shot and isn't very projectible as an NHL player notwithstanding his MHL production. The point and purpose isn't to draft junior players to play in a junior league (or European pro leagues), but to draft junior players to play in the NHL.

Killerjas

Mar 6, 2017
Netherlands
So far he has been very mediocre. Just 1 point (assist) in 13 games. Expected a bit more of him in the USHL to be honest.

Can't be too upset about a 7th round pick though, but I would have preferred to have Magnusson, Ekmark, Pashin or Levi in this range.

Reactions: DatsyukToZetterberg

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad