2020 Draft - 3rd Pick: Tyler Tullio

ConnorMcMullet

#12 Colby Cave
Jun 10, 2017

No idea how he fell so far. The release on his shot is insane and doesn't really have any notable weaknesses. Great motor, above-average playmaking and vision, strong 2-way game, and I don't think his skating is bad.

I think he is a better prospect than Savoie. Upside isn't as high but he's a much safer bet to make it. Either way, the trade down worked out incredibly well for us. I would have been fine with either player at 76.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
I have no problem with any pick so far

all picks are about the team in 5 years from now not now and as long as you keep the fact we have taken two uni players that wont be around for awhile and an OHL player who needs development and we need to let him develop

McOvechking

Apr 28, 2009
Edmonton, Alberta
Tullio reminds me quite a bit of Alex DeBrincat, but he's also got the gritty side of his game like Gallagher/Yamamoto. He's a hard working skater, and an absolute sniper. My favourite thing about Tullio is his ability to read offensive plays and create open space. Players seem to love playing with him because he knows how to make things happen in the offensive zone.

That's my scouting report. Anything beyond that and I'd be over my head to comment on the player.

Last edited:

BoldNewLettuce

Esquire
Dec 21, 2008
Canada
tenor.gif

Holland to Treleving

DropTheGloves

Sep 18, 2020
Reminds me a bit of Archie- hard worker who will go to war for you and cash in on his few chances. Every team needs a couple guys like that so don't mind it.

Reactions: CanmoreMike

KarmaPolice

Snack enthusiast
Oct 5, 2007
In Limbo
Someone already posted his rankings which I didn't see, NVM.

Looks like good value for where we got him, and I've really liked what I've read about him. A very promising forward prospect and we need as many of those as possible.

Last edited:

McTonyBrar

Apr 2, 2018
Prokop (as was rumored by Stauffer) or Tullio and Savoie. I know which one I'd pick.
The Oilers got great value with these two picks and added some much needed skill to the pipeline.

Does Bob still hate the draft?

oilerbear

Jun 2, 2008

xPT is my marriage of NHLE with Desjardins age Adjustment Research to define draft prospects from 07/08.
it identifies players like debrincitt who had an 79 xPT.
It is expected NHL performance at age 22.

It was around the time I presented expected situation avg (xAvg) for 3d situation graph based on team, comp, ZS On Lowetide. Later ruined by others (false results) in 2D form.

C. Savoie, pick #100
Draft -1 Yr= 55 xPT, 23g 32a
Draft yr = 55 xPT, 26g 29a

tullio, pick #128
Draft Yr = 56 xPT, 23g 33a

j. Quinn, pick #8
Draft yr = 59 xPT, 34g 25a

Neighbors, Pick #26
Draft yr = 57 xPT, 19g, 38a

Weisblatt, pick #31
Draft yr = 57 xPT, 20g 37a

Finley, Pick #57
Draft yr = 57 xPT, 19g 38a

MoontoScott

Jun 2, 2012
In reading the scouting reports on Tullio, I come to the conclusion that nobody would have been surprised if he went in the 2nd round so it makes me feel better about the loss of the 2nd rounder in the AA deal.

When you are drafting 18 year olds in the 2nd round and beyond, is the 2nd round pick worth a lot more than the later round picks? Probably but that difference when you are drafting 18 year old players might be less substantial than we think.

Its not like the NFL draft where you are drafting 22 year olds. Even then it can be a crap shoot once you get beyond round 1.

Reactions: Oilhawks

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad