2020 Draft - 3rd Pick: Tyler Tullio

LastWordArmy

Sep 11, 2011
Canada
The 11th Overall pick in the 2018 OHL Priority Selection Draft, Tyler Tullio was selected by the Oshawa Generals, a team owned by his father, Rocco Tullio. For anyone who was questioning the pick as being undeserved or the product of nepotism, Tullio immediately proved those critics wrong. He made an instant impact for the Generals scoring 15 goals and 27 assists for 42 points in 60 games in his rookie season. With 29 points in his final 27 games, he ended the season on a roll. Tullio also added three goals and three assists for six points in 14 playoff games. He was named to the OHL Second All-Rookie Team. Tullio was even better this season. He scored 27 goals and 39 assists for 66 points in 62 games before the season was cut short due to the COVID-19 pandemic.

Tullio also played for Team Canada Black at the Under-17 World Hockey Challenge. He only picked up one assist in five tournament games. Tullio played his midget hockey for the Vaughn Kings. He scored five goals and five assists for 10 points in seven games at the 2018 OHL Cup. In 2014, he represented Windsor at the famous Quebec City Peewee Tournament.

Tyler Tullio Scouting Report: 2020 NHL Draft #87 - Last Word on Hockey

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
Is there a reason he fell more than 40 spots from most lists? Scouting is so random.

Soli

Supervision Required
Sep 8, 2005

OHL Prospects: Search results for tullio

I am always willing to bet on a kid who thinks the game well and who plays the game hard, but who doesn't possess elite physical tools. Tullio is not the biggest kid in this draft class. He is not the best skater in this draft class. He is not the most innately skilled with the puck in this draft class. He is not always the most visible player in transition, instead relying on his usual linemates Phil Tomasino and Brett Neumann to handle the majority of zone entries. What Tullio is, is the perfect complimentary offensive player on a scoring line. He may only be 5'11, but he is such an effective player along the wall because he always keeps his feet moving and shows little fear in attacking larger defenders. He is willing to take a hit to make a play too. However, Tullio's playmaking ability is solid. He has good vision coming off the wall and is not the type to force plays. Additionally, Tullio is a very smart player without the puck. He seems to find ways to consistently sneak behind or away from his defender, giving him a ton of scoring opportunities from that home plate area. And his hands and finishing ability are excellent. I guess the question scouts have, is how much those physical attributes can be improved. And how much of his skill set was hidden based on him deferring at times to older and quicker linemates? In a way, Tullio is similar to Luke Evangelista in this regard. Personally, I'd have a lot of time for Tullio as a second round selection because there's room for improvement in a lot of areas of his game, yet he also has some great innate abilities that make him a potential third line forward at the very least.

Llamamoto

Nice Bison. Kind Bison. Yep.
Sep 5, 2018
I would have been very happy with him in the 3rd. Extremely hard-working player.

Reactions: ujju2

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
What are his strengths and weaknesses? What's his skating like? What's the reason a guy who was over PPG doesn't get picked until the 5th round?

Reactions: Cloned

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Really glad we took him over Chromiak. I wonder why he fell so far. I figured he'd go in the 2nd.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad