2020 Draft - 3rd Pick: Tyler Tullio

Dempsey

Mark it zero
Mar 1, 2002
Ladner, BC
How do people see his skating mechanics? The HockeyProspect Black Book is really turned off by his skating and they go into pretty good detail about it. Not just his skating, but more so the skating combined with his size. But that's what you get with mid-round picks and Tullio has an excellent skill set. Will be great having a high scoring CHLer to watch.

Llamamoto

Nice Bison. Kind Bison. Yep.
Sep 5, 2018
How do people see his skating mechanics? The HockeyProspect Black Book is really turned off by his skating and they go into pretty good detail about it. Not just his skating, but more so the skating combined with his size. But that's what you get with mid-round picks and Tullio has an excellent skill set. Will be great having a high scoring CHLer to watch.

I like the idea of betting on upside in the later rounds. Savoie, Tullio, and Berezkin all have to work on their skating, but I'm pretty confident that at least one of them will put everything together and become an NHLer.

Skating can be improved, offensive IQ and skill can't. Plus, we've done a pretty good job in helping prospects improve their skating. Bear, Draisaitl, etc.

BarDownBobo

Oct 19, 2012
City of Champions
Will Scouch (Scouching report guy) was pretty high on him. Had him 58 in his draft rankings (Savoie 59). Getting them at 129 and 100 is phenemonal value.
If Stauffer was right we should be thanking the Preds for taking Prokop off the table right before the Oil picked. I’d take either of Savoie or Tullio over him personally, and getting both with the trade down feels like robbery.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
If Stauffer was right we should be thanking the Preds for taking Prokop off the table right before the Oil picked. I’d take either of Savoie or Tullio over him personally, and getting both with the trade down feels like robbery.
He didn't have him ranked.
NHL central scouting had Prokop at 130 for NA skaters.
I'm also glad.

That said, the Preds can draft defenders so who knows.

Actually since 2010 the Preds have yet to draft a defender outside the first 2 rounds that's been an NHL player outside Bittetto. So....maybe they don't ..

Reactions: voxel and nabob

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario

It's just the usual "not elite skating = bad skating" drivel.

He's got a really good first step and he's great on his edges in tight spaces. He isn't a straight line burner, but that's probably the most overrated tool out there.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015

It's fate boys. Stars aligning.

@McDNicks17 give me your report here. I'm intelligent but ignorant on OHL prospects compared to guys like you. Give us a detailed report, because from what I'm seeing on tape I love this pick. Even more than the Savoie pick who I was screaming for as a 2nd round talent. You've obviously seen him live for full games, what in particular do you like? Or any Ontario lad who has seen him live please chime in I sincerely want to read a more detailed report.

Love the one timer and quick release with this kid, another right shot.

Like the interviews, seems like a decent high character kid with competitive drive. Which as an obvious theme here that I love with the first 4 picks we made.

Reactions: Dan Kelly

Gordy Elbows

Keep off my lawn
Oct 31, 2019
I like the idea of betting on upside in the later rounds. Savoie, Tullio, and Berezkin all have to work on their skating, but I'm pretty confident that at least one of them will put everything together and become an NHLer.

Skating can be improved, offensive IQ and skill can't. Plus, we've done a pretty good job in helping prospects improve their skating. Bear, Draisaitl, etc.

Agree. They all sound like ideal candidates to develop in the AHL (eventually)...could be a gem or two in that group.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
It's fate boys. Stars aligning.

@McDNicks17 give me your report here. I'm intelligent but ignorant on OHL prospects compared to guys like you. Give us a detailed report, because from what I'm seeing on tape I love this pick. Even more than the Savoie pick who I was screaming for as a 2nd round talent. You've obviously seen him live for full games, what in particular do you like? Or any Ontario lad who has seen him live please chime in I sincerely want to read a more detailed report.

Love the one timer and quick release with this kid, another right shot.

Like the interviews, seems like a decent high character kid with competitive drive. Which as an obvious theme here that I love with the first 4 picks we made.

He's just one of those guys that goes all out every single shift and isn't afraid to take on anyone. More quick than fast. Has a really good first step and is slippery with his edges. He's strong on his skates and wins most board battles just based on that and pure effort.

He's played both center and wing in the OHL and excelled at both probably due to being a good playmaker as well as a shooter. Doesn't have the hardest wrist shot, but he's got a quick release and is usually lurking around the net or in soft spots in the D coverage. Has a bomb of a one-timer from the left face-off dot.

His best trait is his anticipation, IMO. He's kind of similar to Yamo in that way. When you watch him play, you can just tell he's one of those guys who is one step ahead of everyone else. Whether he's passing guys open, finding a hole in high danger areas to shoot, getting to loose pucks, creating turnovers on the forecheck, closing down passing lanes, etc, you can just see the hockey sense.

I think he has a really good chance at being a complementary top6 winger with his combination of skill, smarts and motor.

Messrules11

6 Cups, elbows up.
Nov 23, 2018
I know nothing about this kid apart from this thread. Like what I’m hearing so far, hopefully he can add some size. Sounds like a gamer.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
He's just one of those guys that goes all out every single shift and isn't afraid to take on anyone. More quick than fast. Has a really good first step and is slippery with his edges. He's strong on his skates and wins most board battles just based on that and pure effort.

He's played both center and wing in the OHL and excelled at both probably due to being a good playmaker as well as a shooter. Doesn't have the hardest wrist shot, but he's got a quick release and is usually lurking around the net or in soft spots in the D coverage. Has a bomb of a one-timer from the left face-off dot.

His best trait is his anticipation, IMO. He's kind of similar to Yamo in that way. When you watch him play, you can just tell he's one of those guys who is one step ahead of everyone else. Whether he's passing guys open, finding a hole in high danger areas to shoot, getting to loose pucks, creating turnovers on the forecheck, closing down passing lanes, etc, you can just see the hockey sense.

I think he has a really good chance at being a complementary top6 winger with his combination of skill, smarts and motor.
I didn't watch much OHL hockey at all this year but I really like what Otten wrote about him. It jives pretty well with what you wrote:

Tullio is one of those players that the puck just seems to follow because of his hockey IQ and awareness on the ice. He is great at finding those soft spots in the defense, especially in the slot, and has a very quick release too that has helped him hit the 10 goal mark already this year (good for second on Oshawa). Away from the puck, he is always competing, excelling down low and in puck retrieval. He has a real knack at forcing turnovers in the opposition’s end and in the neutral zone and has the skating ability to be able to quickly strike and attack the other way. While he does not possess elite size, and may not be a center long term, he most definitely possesses NHL potential due to his well-rounded game and ability to process on the ice.

Skolman

Feb 16, 2018
I remember someone stated that his game compares to the Marchand/Gallagher type, can anyone else vouch for that? I honestly don't know much at all about the kid.

Generalsupdates

@GeneralsUpdates on Twitter
Sep 4, 2017
Here is my Tullio highlight video from this year

Getting him in the 5th round is incredible value. He thought he would be going late 2nd, early 3rd based on the projections and who he was talking to.

He's an extremely skilled player who has a big shot (might be his best offensive weapon) but his compete and willingness to do whatever the team needs of him is probably his biggest overall weapon. He'll fight, he'll block shots. He can play with high end guys (spend the 2nd half of the season with Phil Tomasino, Nashville 1st rounder).

Gens are 1 of 2 teams bidding to host the Memorial Cup next year so if an OHL season happens, he could be playing in some very big hockey games

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->