2020 Draft - 1st Pick: Dylan Holloway | Selected to Team Canada at the WJC

Status
Not open for further replies.

nafrelio

Aug 26, 2005
brite feuchure
I think if Holloway was a lock to make the team he would have more ground to stand on.
You'd think that if the player/team Canada was getting flack from his home team and coach that it would put some pressure on the Canada team to pick him...

It's too bad he's going to miss so many games, but I can't fault him for doing what he needs to to play for his national team.

Reactions: ujju2

Soli

Supervision Required
Sep 8, 2005

Time to analyze intersquad rosters and figure out who the coaches have already penned into the lineup.

McMicheal - Dach - Cozens?

Holloway - Zary - Mercer?

Delicious Pancakes

Top Pocket Find
Apr 23, 2012
Home

Well there's Granato's answer as to why Holloway had to come now and not later. Owen Power was referenced as a player who would be arriving later to camp as a point of comparison but clearly that's not the case with Power now being ruled out for camp. Sucks that Holloway, Newhook, Levi and whoever the goalies are won't get a chance to practice or scrimmage with the team for 2 weeks but hopefully when they do get the chance they're able to seize the opportunity and still make the team.

McSendy

Nov 29, 2017

There is a test program for travelers entering Alberta via the Calgary Airport or through the Coutts border crossing that started on November 2. Under the test program, travelers get a covid test upon entry into Alberta, followed by a quarantine period that ends if the test result is negative. A repeat covid test is done at 6 or 7 days after entry into Alberta. I actually talked to the border people at Coutts today and they reported that the result is typically available within 48 hours, which is why I assume Holloway was under the impression that he would only have a 48 hour quarantine.

I'm wondering if he either tested positive, or if Team Canada is enforcing their own quarantine restrictions.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
Well there's Granato's answer as to why Holloway had to come now and not later. Owen Power was referenced as a player who would be arriving later to camp as a point of comparison but clearly that's not the case with Power now being ruled out for camp. Sucks that Holloway, Newhook, Levi and whoever the goalies are won't get a chance to practice or scrimmage with the team for 2 weeks but hopefully when they do get the chance they're able to seize the opportunity and still make the team.

I don't think any amount of practice would help our goalies haha.

That has to be the worst group of goalies Canada has ever invited to camp.

BarDownBobo

Oct 19, 2012
City of Champions
The flip side is Holloway has two weeks to get some chemistry going with Newhook, who I feel is a lock to make it. This could be his key to getting a bigger role with the team.

Delicious Pancakes

Top Pocket Find
Apr 23, 2012
Home
The flip side is Holloway has two weeks to get some chemistry going with Newhook, who I feel is a lock to make it. This could be his key to getting a bigger role with the team.

I quite like Newhook and think he and Holloway could really click together. I feel like if you put a guy like Quinn on the other wing who's a shooter and also plays a solid defensive game that it would be a pretty dynamic but also responsible line for Canada

Barrsy

May 14, 2017
There is a test program for travelers entering Alberta via the Calgary Airport or through the Coutts border crossing that started on November 2. Under the test program, travelers get a covid test upon entry into Alberta, followed by a quarantine period that ends if the test result is negative. A repeat covid test is done at 6 or 7 days after entry into Alberta. I actually talked to the border people at Coutts today and they reported that the result is typically available within 48 hours, which is why I assume Holloway was under the impression that he would only have a 48 hour quarantine.

I'm wondering if he either tested positive, or if Team Canada is enforcing their own quarantine restrictions.
Thats correct. Thats odd why hes out for 14 days (if he is).

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017

If he tested positive I doubt he would be able to practice with a small group of other quarantined players.

Reactions: nabob

ConnorMcMullet

#12 Colby Cave
Jun 10, 2017
How confident are you guys that Holloway makes the WJ team?
I'd give it about a 70% chance. From a purely offensive perspective, Holloway might not be among Canada's top-12 forwards, but his physicality, defensive ability, and faceoff prowess will give him an edge over his competition.

My main worry is that the 14-day quarantine period will prevent Holloway from being able to showcase his ability in camp. Although there's also a chance Team Canada already sees him as a lock.

DropTheGloves

Sep 18, 2020
I'd give it about a 70% chance. From a purely offensive perspective, Holloway might not be among Canada's top-12 forwards, but his physicality, defensive ability, and faceoff prowess will give him an edge over his competition.

My main worry is that the 14-day quarantine period will prevent Holloway from being able to showcase his ability in camp. Although there's also a chance Team Canada already sees him as a lock.

Yeah I don’t think they would go through all this trouble unless they considered him a virtual guarantee to make the roster. Have to think he’s been told something behind closed doors. Power OTOH was likely more a crapshoot so he decided college games > getting cut after intrasquad games.

Reactions: ConnorMcMullet

Anarchism

John Henry
May 23, 2019
northern alberta

So most likely as a bottom 6 W not a C?
And some PK time?

DropTheGloves

Sep 18, 2020
And some PK time?

Probably not C since Dach/McMichael/Newhook/Cozens/Byfield will all be fighting for a spot down the middle already. But I would guess PK is a big reason why he’ll be there yes.

ConnorMcMullet

#12 Colby Cave
Jun 10, 2017
And some PK time?
Most likely in a 3rd/4th line role but he'll still get good linemates and a decent amount of ice time. I could see him playing either C or LW, it depends on where players like Newhook, Cozens, Krebs, and McMichael play. And yes, he'll most likely get some PK time as well. So pretty similar to the role he played for Team Canada at the U18s a couple of years back, and he excelled there.

Reactions: voxel

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
I can understand that all players coming from abroad have to do the quarantine, no way around it, but I don't understand why the camp starts so early. We're still more than 5 weeks away from the tournament starting, all of the players are missing a ton of games.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad