2020 Draft - 1st Pick: Dylan Holloway | Selected to Team Canada at the WJC

Status
Not open for further replies.

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
I think he can be a good offensive forward, people overrate "dangling" and underrate shot release.

His shot release is really good, that stood out for me straight away when I watched his highlight package even when a bunch of people were crying over the pick.

Kid can shoot the damn biscuit, good accuracy, good quick release, good velocity on the shot too.

We don't need a player that dangles and needs to have the puck on their stick too much, Eberle did not mesh that great with McDavid or Draisaitl for example.

I think we’ve also been spoiled by watching McDavid and Drai the last few years and that’s the standard that someone’s handles are judged by. A good shot and knowing where to be to receive the pass will produce more goals than toe drags and spin-o-ramas.

Reactions: Bryanbryoil

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Definitely starting to get a little bit of a Dubois vibe with him, a player I was (and am) a huge fan of. Although Dubois is a bit more of an east-west, puck-possession, grinding type player whereas Holloway is more north-south, quick on the forecheck type. But if he can develop into a somewhat similar player he's going to be very valuable for the Oilers. Strong, fast, versatile. Will likely be able to both complement Leon and Connor but could also play tough matchups. Very encouraged by his start to the season, hope he keeps it up.

I see some Dubois in him too. He doesn't handle the puck as well and is a better skater than Dubois but the physical attributes and style of play are fairly similar, fast forechecking demons with a good shot release.

Question for those of you Team Canada experts. Who are the locks to make the team and do you think Holloway has a good chance to make the team?
The team is absolutely loaded especially with Lafraniere (I assume) and Dach joining the team so it's going to be a really tough lineup to crack. It's quite possible that none of the guys the Oilers were targeting in Quinn, Jarvis and Holloway will make the team. Fierce competition.
What I think works in Holloway's favor is that he has a pretty unique skillset and Canada loves their fast physical forwards, plus his versatility to play center and wing so here's to hoping.

MoontoScott

Jun 2, 2012
That has nothing to do with it, has to go with birthdays.

I believe its Jan 1st 2001 birthdays or later that are eligible to play in this years.

Lavoie is a Sept 25/2000 birthday.

There is probably a number of December 31st, 2000 babies playing for Russia this year.

GMofOilers

Oct 15, 2007
Mountains
I see some Dubois in him too. He doesn't handle the puck as well and is a better skater than Dubois but the physical attributes and style of play are fairly similar, fast forechecking demons with a good shot release.

Question for those of you Team Canada experts. Who are the locks to make the team and do you think Holloway has a good chance to make the team?
The team is absolutely loaded especially with Lafraniere (I assume) and Dach joining the team so it's going to be a really tough lineup to crack. It's quite possible that none of the guys the Oilers were targeting in Quinn, Jarvis and Holloway will make the team. Fierce competition.
What I think works in Holloway's favor is that he has a pretty unique skillset and Canada loves their fast physical forwards, plus his versatility to play center and wing so here's to hoping.

I see Alex Tuch, thats what I see.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
He reminds me of a Timo Meier type which IMO is an excellent top 6 power forward. I'd like to see him work on his handle as he is still young enough to show improvement in the areas that he works on. There is enough there already to be a surefire 3rd liner, IMO he has time and the work ethic on his side to become a legit top 6 guy and possibly more. I honestly see him as future leadership material.

I agree with your last point, high character and a kid with a good head on his shoulders. Comes across as a natural leader of men who guys will follow into the fight.

Now that I’ve thought about it, maybe another year at Wisconsin and potentially the captain or an assistant captain in a major all situations role wouldn’t be a bad option either.

His effort and playing style makes him a favourite in the room, amongst coaches, and especially with this fan base who always love lunch bucket types.

Reactions: Bryanbryoil

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
I agree with your last point, high character and a kid with a good head on his shoulders. Comes across as a natural leader of men who guys will follow into the fight.

Now that I’ve thought about it, maybe another year at Wisconsin and potentially the captain or an assistant captain in a major all situations role wouldn’t be a bad option either.

His effort and playing style makes him a favourite in the room, amongst coaches, and especially with this fan base who always love lunch bucket types.

He is a guy that will take the fight to the opponent and drag his teammates into battle IMO. Those are valuable attributes when the team comes out flat or just needs that spark to take their game up a notch.

I suppose it will depend on how he does the rest of the way. I want him to take the path that best prepares him to be an impact player at the NHL level and that may or may not mean another year in Wisconsin or a year or part of a year in Bako. I think that we have to look at him a little differently just because he already has a year in the NCAA under his belt. While he typically would be a Freshman this season and many impact players play their Freshman and sometimes Sophomore seasons post draft, he may play his Sophomore and Junior seasons there. Regardless I really like what he brings to the table and want him to succeed. Having Holland in charge has me confident that the right decision will be made in terms of his development which is a nice change for Oilers fans.

No doubt, there is no guesswork with this kind of a player, balls out, 100% effort, do what it takes to win and have the opposition looking over their shoulders whenever he is on the ice. He is a throwback type of a player IMO, hoping that he will be good with the gloves off as well, because if he can back up his physical play when necessary then he will be a guy that other teams hate playing against.

Reactions: Oilhawks and snipes

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
I also have to say that he looks taller than 6'0" unless his whole team is on the shorter side? I'd guess 6'1" or maybe 6'1.5".

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
He is a guy that will take the fight to the opponent and drag his teammates into battle IMO. Those are valuable attributes when the team comes out flat or just needs that spark to take their game up a notch.

I suppose it will depend on how he does the rest of the way. I want him to take the path that best prepares him to be an impact player at the NHL level and that may or may not mean another year in Wisconsin or a year or part of a year in Bako. I think that we have to look at him a little differently just because he already has a year in the NCAA under his belt. While he typically would be a Freshman this season and many impact players play their Freshman and sometimes Sophomore seasons post draft, he may play his Sophomore and Junior seasons there. Regardless I really like what he brings to the table and want him to succeed. Having Holland in charge has me confident that the right decision will be made in terms of his development which is a nice change for Oilers fans.

No doubt, there is no guesswork with this kind of a player, balls out, 100% effort, do what it takes to win and have the opposition looking over their shoulders whenever he is on the ice. He is a throwback type of a player IMO, hoping that he will be good with the gloves off as well, because if he can back up his physical play when necessary then he will be a guy that other teams hate playing against.

True power forwards are like unicorns in today’s game. He has modern day power forward written all over him.

Hockey has been cyclical for decades upon decades going back and forth between speed and skill being the dominant way. After awhile to size, physicality and power winning the day (think Broadstreet bullies).

With D men getting smaller and more skilled, having a big guy who can skate and lay a beating on D men like Hughes on the forecheck will be so valuable.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
True power forwards are like unicorns in today’s game. He has modern day power forward written all over him.

Hockey has been cyclical for decades upon decades going back and forth between speed and skill being the dominant way. After awhile to size, physicality and power winning the day (think Broadstreet bullies).

With D men getting smaller and more skilled, having a big guy who can skate and lay a beating on D men like Hughes on the forecheck will be so valuable.

If Jesse can be that big winger that bulls his way to the net while Holloway becomes the guy that just wrecks everyone, blocks shots and scores goals, we could have a very diverse and effective set of top 6 wingers after being barren there for a number of years. Imagine a D forcing passes because Holloway has him locked in his sights and the D coughs it up to Connor, good luck with that opposition.

Reactions: LaGu and snipes

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
I also have to say that he looks taller than 6'0" unless his whole team is on the shorter side? I'd guess 6'1" or maybe 6'1.5".

He is taller than 6'. He's 6'1" minimum and to be honest, he looks taller than that.
More importantly though, he has a muscular build and has plenty of time to fill out more. He's going to be a physical beast when he matures fully. He's already over 200 lbs, he could be 215-220 lbs in his early 20s.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
He is taller than 6'. He's 6'1" minimum and to be honest, he looks taller than that.
More importantly though, he has a muscular build and has plenty of time to fill out more. He's going to be a physical beast when he matures fully. He's already over 200 lbs, he could be 215-220 lbs in his early 20s.

The kid has broad shoulders, reminds me of Torres in that sense.

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
Clearly you dont follow things very closely.

Clearly Darryl knows that being -8 and having zero points in his last 8 games is great! Guess I should focus more on how big and fast he looks instead of box cars and media reports cards.

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
Clearly Darryl knows that being -8 and having zero points in his last 8 games is great! Guess I should focus more on how big and fast he looks instead of box cars and media reports cards.
The only report cards you focus on are the negative ones, you dont want the whole picture.

Anyone who has a positive thing to say, you just ask if they're watching with rose coloured glasses and push it under the rug.

Give it up, you want the prospect to fail, and its blatantly obvious at this point. You've been caught in so many lies while moving the goalposts to bash Broberg.

Reactions: Panda Bear

TopShelfGloveSide

Dec 10, 2018
Are you arguing that he has had a rough patch of games or are you arguing that he isn’t a top notch prospect?

Reactions: McTonyBrar

Barrsy

May 14, 2017
Box cars. Luuuv guys like you who rely on boxcars. Instead of , ya know, people who actually watch the games. For a 19 year old d-man no less.
Keep em coming.Too funny

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
Box cars. Luuuv guys like you who rely on boxcars. Instead of , ya know, people who actually watch the games. For a 19 year old d-man no less.
Keep em coming.Too funny

Love guys like you that only read part of a response and try to will their feeble position to be true. Thanks for the laughs.

Edit: Lol. This one has probably been done to death with you but I can't help it. You can say your posts are "easy pickings". Lol.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad