Prospect Info: 2020 Draft - 1st Pick: Dylan Holloway | SIGNED! ELC Starts 2021-2022 Season | Signs ATO With Bako!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Soli

Supervision Required
Sep 8, 2005
In an earlier tweet, Stauff was hinting that Holloway would join the Condors after the NCAA season. CHL players join respective AHL teams on ATOs, but does signing an ATO void NCAA eligibility?

At any rate, Stauffer deleted that tweet and just came out saying he thinks Holloway turns pro and joins the Condors at the conclusion of the NCAA season.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
In an earlier tweet, Stauff was hinting that Holloway would join the Condors after the NCAA season. We get the CHL players joining the AHL teams on ATOs, but does signing an ATO void NCAA eligibility?

At any rate, Stauffer deleted that tweet and just came out saying he thinks Holloway turns pro and joins the Condors and potentially the Oilers.

When does their season end? He plays a pro style of game but I worry that if he gets rushed that we might not allow him to reach his offensive potential.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
I want to say April. He's physically stout enough to handle the AHL reps.

And if he has a poor go of it offensively then it may cave his confidence. If he's turning pro he should be aiming his sights higher than the AHL IMO.

Biltmore

Next Year...
Oct 22, 2015
Just don't want to leave him in college too long and have Pittsburgh scoop him on us.

Delicious Pancakes

Top Pocket Find
Apr 23, 2012
Home
Just don't want to leave him in college too long and have Pittsburgh scoop him on us.

Why would Pittsburgh scoop him? He would have to stay in college for the length of his college eligibility and then choose not to sign with the Oilers for that to happen which is highly unlikely given A) he will be ready before for the NHL before his college eligibility has expired and is unlikely to forego pro hockey to continue playing at Wisconsin for an extra year or two and B) He's an Alberta boy who has expressed excitement about playing for the Oilers.

Soli

Supervision Required
Sep 8, 2005
And if he has a poor go of it offensively then it may cave his confidence. If he's turning pro he should be aiming his sights higher than the AHL IMO.

I feel like those two statements contradict each other. There is no shame in playing in the AHL, especially at Holloway's age. The AHL at D+1 would be tracking well.

Biltmore

Next Year...
Oct 22, 2015
Why would Pittsburgh scoop him? He would have to stay in college for the length of his college eligibility and then choose not to sign with the Oilers for that to happen which is highly unlikely given A) he will be ready before for the NHL before his college eligibility has expired and is unlikely to forego pro hockey to continue playing at Wisconsin for an extra year or two and B) He's an Alberta boy who has expressed excitement about playing for the Oilers.
Oilers Law - it's a thing!

Samus44

Enjoy the ride.
Aug 5, 2010
I feel like those two statements contradict each other. There is no shame in playing in the AHL, especially at Holloway's age. The AHL at D+1 would be tracking well.

No they don't. Turning pro before offensively dominating the NCAA is arguably a move that could limit offense. Many people believe that scoring at a prolific rate before moving up in competition is a wise way to develop offensive ability. I think Holloway certainly has the physical ability to play pro but I'd rather him transition to a top 6 role than a checking one if he's moving to the AHL. Another year of strong offensive play will aid his confidence and perhaps provide helpful skill development. It's harder to become more creative in the AHL against pro D. He also plays a pro style game though and might transition very well because of it. Who knows. It's tough to say what's best but there's very good rational on both sides of the argument IMO. I think it's something that the player and team are going to have to look at and be very honest about because developing in the NCAA is an excellent and proven path and once that option is gone, it's gone.

ImmuneEH

Apr 2, 2017
No they don't. Turning pro before offensively dominating the NCAA is arguably a move that could limit offense. Many people believe that scoring at a prolific rate before moving up in competition is a wise way to develop offensive ability. I think Holloway certainly has the physical ability to play pro but I'd rather him transition to a top 6 role than a checking one if he's moving to the AHL. Another year of strong offensive play will aid his confidence and perhaps provide helpful skill development. It's harder to become more creative in the AHL against pro D. He also plays a pro style game though and might transition very well because of it. Who knows. It's tough to say what's best but there's very good rational on both sides of the argument IMO. I think it's something that the player and team are going to have to look at and be very honest about because developing in the NCAA is an excellent and proven path and once that option is gone, it's gone.

As someone who was never a top prospect that had a team of people stressing about their development this always made the most sense to me.

It's why I also would rather Broberg stay in Sweden another season. Get him playing top minutes at that level, hopefully playing dominant.

Reactions: Samus44 and Aerchon

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
Personally, I think the CHL is a better development path for high end prospects. You see many NHL teams move top picks to the CHL route with pro style of game, travel schedule, competition and high number of games played (in normal times). London Knights have been masters at it. Holloway's pro game fits well with the development benefits the CHL delivers. Not to be, but, building on a big development curve of college game and life as a draft eligible, Holloway has to continue to prove himself this year with consistency before thinking of another huge jump to pro (and a much more physical game than college). It is his whole game which must be ready for professional competition that includes size, physical style, and speed. Can he play his robust, assertive physical game against pro competition who are equal to or greater his size and strength, and more apt to play with physical aggression than college hockey.

Covid conditions throw a wrench into everything. Can he get enough games, practise and conditioning in college? Or is it better to put this blue chip into a professional environment to groom him within the conditions required to make an NHL roster sooner than later. Holloway's not far away so it will be interesting to see how the rest of his sophomore season plays out.

EDIT: Savoie to be in textbook example of a prospect perfectly suited to the college route. Undersized, physically developing, who can percolate with the slow cook draft advantage that four years of college development offers.

Biltmore

Next Year...
Oct 22, 2015
Personally, I think the CHL is a better development path for high end prospects. You see many NHL teams move top picks to the CHL route with pro style of game, travel schedule, competition and high number of games played (in normal times). London Knights have been masters at it. Holloway's pro game fits well with the development benefits the CHL delivers. Not to be, but, building on a big development curve of college game and life as a draft eligible, Holloway has to continue to prove himself this year with consistency before thinking of another huge jump to pro (and a much more physical game than college). It is his whole game which must be ready for professional competition that includes size, physical style, and speed. Can he play his robust, assertive physical game against pro competition who are equal to or greater his size and strength, and more apt to play with physical aggression than college hockey.

Covid conditions throw a wrench into everything. Can he get enough games, practise and conditioning in college? Or is it better to put this blue chip into a professional environment to groom him within the conditions required to make an NHL roster sooner than later. Holloway's not far away so it will be interesting to see how the rest of his sophomore season plays out.

EDIT: Savoie to be in textbook example of a prospect perfectly suited to the college route. Undersized, physically developing, who can percolate with the slow cook draft advantage that four years of college development offers.

Savoie will benefit from 4 years of work and better nutrition to turn his baby-fat into muscle and build up his man-strength.

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
Savoie will benefit from 4 years of work and better nutrition to turn his baby-fat into muscle and build up his man-strength.

He's textbook, as I noted, for the player type who benefits physically and mental maturation to the draft advantage provided by four year college route. Holloway won't need four years like virtually all blue chip prospects but will be interesting if he and Oilers agree to pro end of this sophomore season or next.

Reactions: Biltmore

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
So that brings him up back up to a PPG?

7 points in 7 games is a strong start.

Up to 10 points in 8 games while still a teenager in the NCAA is as good of a start as could reasonably have been expected.

Not to mention he’s getting that production while the best part of his game is away from the puck.

He’s trending very well for us so far.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015

Edit: missed that Soli posted this earlier

Last edited:

McTonyBrar

Apr 2, 2018
In an earlier tweet, Stauff was hinting that Holloway would join the Condors after the NCAA season. CHL players join respective AHL teams on ATOs, but does signing an ATO void NCAA eligibility?

At any rate, Stauffer deleted that tweet and just came out saying he thinks Holloway turns pro and joins the Condors at the conclusion of the NCAA season.

Holy. His percentage in the faceoff circle

Reactions: snipes

McTonyBrar

Apr 2, 2018
Up to 10 points in 8 games while still a teenager in the NCAA is as good of a start as could reasonably have been expected.

Not to mention he’s getting that production while the best part of his game is away from the puck.

He’s trending very well for us so far.

I stand by what I said in the WJC thread. Holloway was the most noticeable and best player at the WJC even though he hardly got any points. The game showed how good he can be on the forecheck and that he's versatile. He can play good offensively and defensively

Barrsy

May 14, 2017
I. The game showed how good he can be on the forecheck and that he's versatile. He can play good offensively and defensively
I agree with this 100%. And if you had also said it appeared he may have rocks for hands I would still agree 100%

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad