Prospect Info: 2020 Draft #111 - Mitchell Miller (RHD) [Mod Warning post #312]

Status
Not open for further replies.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
That's absolutely not true. JMC views McKie better because he went out of his way to go above and beyond and showed true remorse. A friendship years in the past didn't have much at all to do with it.
No. He read his apology during the hearing either before or instead of mailing it. And it’s likely the previous friendly relationship had a lot to do with that decision. Of course it did.

Reactions: Jakey53

rt

May 13, 2004
JMC and their family have lived their lives normally since the incident. I'm not sure where this idea of them being a lynch mob comes from. They interviewed and gave a statement to ARZ Republic, and wrote a letter about the Coyotes pick. That's about it. There's exactly one post about it on her twitter, and no posts about it on her Facebook. With 7 kids I think she might be a little too busy to spend all day on Twitter.

As far as I'm aware, ARZ Republic is the only organization to have actually contacted and interviewed her. I'm inclined to trust what that articles says more.
I don’t think anyone is calling the MC family the mob (unless the people doing that are on my ignore list - haha).

Reactions: Coyotedroppings

Dead Coyote

Oct 10, 2017
No. He read his apology during the hearing either before or instead of mailing it. And it’s likely the previous friendly relationship had a lot to do with that decision. Of course it did.

He read his apology *and* apologized in person to the family. I don't know the details of that meeting, but I know that it happened.

rt

May 13, 2004
I find it hard to believe. Had he done so, beyond what he was forced to, kinda believe the mom would not have felt the desire to publish what she did.
I believe @dv018 is saying that they reached out to JMC via social media and during an exchange on social media, JMC explained to @dv018 that the McKie kid both apologized in court and also apologized in person at another time. Meanwhile the Miller kid did neither, and instead only apologized via court order.

Is that right, @dv018 ? You reached out to her online and this is what you were told?

Dead Coyote

Oct 10, 2017
I believe @dv018 is saying that they reached out to JMC via social media and during an exchange on social media, JMC explained to @dv018 that the McKie kid both apologized in court and also apologized in person at another time. Meanwhile the Miller kid did neither, and instead only apologized via court order.

Is that right, @dv018 ? You reached out to her online and this is what you were told?

That's correct.

Reactions: XX

Merya

Jokerit & Finland; anti-theist
Sep 23, 2008
Helsinki
“We are taking a player in the fourth round who committed wrong and disgusting acts against a handicapped child when the player was 14. He has paid his dues and fulfilled his court ordered obligations.

As a young adult our player fully understands the magnitude of what he did as a 14 year old and is very remorseful. The Coyotes organization is giving him a chance for a new start and a chance for redemption. We will remain vigilant and expect our player to maintain exemplary behavior. We have impressed upon him that there are no third chances. “

You don't get a free walk card for any one action, I'f you've tormented someone for 6+ years.
You especialy don't get a free walk if both juvie judge and victim family feel no sincere remorse has been felt, no intimate apology attempted, but rather bit of taunting or very least careless behaviour after. This is in contrast with the other perpetrator action.
If Miller can make money in the KHL, good for him. If he can light that league on fire AND actually clicks in his head what he's done, He might have one shot at NHL at under 30.
I am absolutely fine if he has to do an honest physical job and never sees hockey millions. 6+ years messing someone weakers' life is too bad even as a kid.
Oh and if he's gonna try to pull some born again xtian crap I'll be the first to buy gasoline for the flamethrowers.
No redemption. Ever!

Reactions: PJ817

TheLegend

Megathread Gadfly
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
From the Colorado board: we all really liked your fan base during the playoffs and it sucks you guys have to go through another batch of shit because of incompetent management drafting this guy.

Not to deflate what happened. But management was already caught in the middle of chaos with Chayka exited as he did. There were too many changes to the staff going on and we couldn’t have our new GM in a position to do anything.

Personally I think had BA been able to run the draft Miller doesn’t get picked. But he couldn’t be there because the Coyotes were honoring an agreement made with the Blues.

At this point I’m just hoping the team will be up front with the fanbase once they figure out how this happened. I think it’s the minimum thing they should do.

Reactions: sundance74 and CLW

PJ817

Jan 27, 2019
You don't get a free walk card for any one action, I'f you've tormented someone for 6+ years.
You especialy don't get a free walk if both juvie judge and victim family feel no sincere remorse has been felt, no intimate apology attempted, but rather bit of taunting or very least careless behaviour after. This is in contrast with the other perpetrator action.
If Miller can make money in the KHL, good for him. If he can light that league on fire AND actually clicks in his head what he's done, He might have one shot at NHL at under 30.
I am absolutely fine if he has to do an honest physical job and never sees hockey millions. 6+ years messing someone weakers' life is too bad even as a kid.
1. he was never going to get hockey millions; he was 4th round draft pick; he's not a Messier, Zetterberg, etc.
2. my concern since the 'Yotes dumped him is his mental state; the kid apparently doesn't have parents who taught him right from wrong, didn't discipline him for anything moreover, praised him or encouraged the behavior; since UND has now dumped him, the concern would be the ill-parenting unable to cope with a dysfunctional adult child; children mostly emulate their parents; if the kid is like this, he learned that it was okay somewhere

He read his apology *and* apologized in person to the family. I don't know the details of that meeting, but I know that it happened.
read just the one line here: it reads like MILLER did both, he did not; that's what @rt was questioning as was I

Reactions: ck26

ck26

Alcoholab User
Jan 31, 2007
HCanes Bandwagon
Oh and if he's gonna try to pull some born again xtian crap I'll be the first to buy gasoline for the flamethrowers.
No redemption. Ever!
"xtian? No redemption ever?" Who made you the world's judge and jury of morality?

Who gave you authority to dictate "maybe he gets one shot at the NHL when he's 30?"

Why does he get to play in Russia? Is the KHL an evil league full of bad people? So he'll fit in there? How about the Czech league? Or the Finnish? Or are those leagues too principled, too virtuous for him to tarnish?

What does it mean to "click in his head what he's done?" What's the objective standard we use to determine when something clicks in his head? Is there a prescribed minimum decibel level at which the clicking must be recorded? Or do you get to unilaterally decide when this has happened as well? Is this "clicking" synonymous with "redemption?" Because redemption is impossible, right?

I'm genuinely concerned about what your political beliefs might be. If you live in a constitutional, democratic country, I hope you don't vote.

You're not talking about justice, you're talking about revenge. The sort of 19th century lynch mob mentality most of us realize is evil. Your righteous crusade aimed elsewhere today will morph into someone else's righteous crusade aimed at you tomorrow.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
1. he was never going to get hockey millions; he was 4th round draft pick; he's not a Messier, Zetterberg, etc.
2. my concern since the 'Yotes dumped him is his mental state; the kid apparently doesn't have parents who taught him right from wrong, didn't discipline him for anything moreover, praised him or encouraged the behavior; since UND has now dumped him, the concern would be the ill-parenting unable to cope with a dysfunctional adult child; children mostly emulate their parents; if the kid is like this, he learned that it was okay somewhere

read just the one line here: it reads like MILLER did both, he did not; that's what @rt was questioning as was I
I think it's time to stop discussing this topic. The only facts we know is that Miller did the crime and served his time. End of story. We may not like Miller and what he did, but the courts handed out their verdict. The crime now is what's happening on social media, with NHL, the Coyotes etc. as they are trying to dictate Miller's future life and punish him more. In Canada none of this would be public record and this nightmare what is happening now would have never happened. This is hurting the families involved and not allowing them to continue their lives and try to move on.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
"xtian? No redemption ever?" Who made you the world's judge and jury of morality?

Who gave you authority to dictate "maybe he gets one shot at the NHL when he's 30?"

Why does he get to play in Russia? Is the KHL an evil league full of bad people? So he'll fit in there? How about the Czech league? Or the Finnish? Or are those leagues too principled, too virtuous for him to tarnish?

What does it mean to "click in his head what he's done?" What's the objective standard we use to determine when something clicks in his head? Is there a prescribed minimum decibel level at which the clicking must be recorded? Or do you get to unilaterally decide when this has happened as well? Is this "clicking" synonymous with "redemption?" Because redemption is impossible, right?

I'm genuinely concerned about what your political beliefs might be. If you live in a constitutional, democratic country, I hope you don't vote.

You're not talking about justice, you're talking about revenge. The sort of 19th century lynch mob mentality most of us realize is evil. Your righteous crusade aimed elsewhere today will morph into someone else's righteous crusade aimed at you tomorrow.
Exactly, and the sad part they are getting it. The Coyotes crumbled to the pressure of social media. Social media is the devil in disguise.

Reactions: ck26 and RemoAZ

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
I think it's time to stop discussing this topic. The only facts we know is that Miller did the crime and served his time. End of story. We may not like Miller and what he did, but the courts handed out their verdict. The crime now is what's happening on social media, with NHL, the Coyotes etc. as they are trying to dictate Miller's future life and punish him more. In Canada none of this would be public record and this nightmare what is happening now would have never happened. This is hurting the families involved and not allowing them to continue their lives and try to move on.

Miller and his family are not the victims here. They are entitled to make the best of their situation, but they are not entitled to have it disappear as if nothing ever was.

BUX7PHX

Jul 7, 2011

I think you are misconstruing the concept of punishment here. In no way are the Coyotes punishing the player. That's like saying we punished Phil Lane for not becoming what we hoped he would develop into. The reality is that there were deficiencies in Lane's game that prevented him from making it. Fix those deficiencies, and it is a different story.

I question whether or not those deficiencies have been corrected. The other thing is that this was discussed via the staff at UND with Mitchell, his parents, as well as a leadership council of teammates. What if 6 teammates said they don't feel comfortable with Miller on the team after all this was found out? It is possible that teammates don't care to be around him or trust him, and that also brought the situation to further light.

Maybe the truth is that from the time he was at Honey Baked to getting shipped around the USHL, every team that gave an opportunity before understanding who the player was also made a mistake. They put talent ahead of being a responsible person. Living a life of "you are perfect," when the actions suggest anything else but that is also not right, either.

Bonsai Tree

Turning a new leaf
Feb 2, 2014
No redemption. Ever!
That must have felt really good to post.

The above post is the best argument in favor of the anonymity of the juvenile court system that I have ever read. One simply cannot hold a 14 year old boy up to adult standards of punishment for delinquent behavior.

technoviking

Whatever's Clever
Aug 14, 2013
Scottsdale
That must have felt really good to post.

The above post is the best argument in favor of the anonymity of the juvenile court system that I have ever read. One simply cannot hold a 14 year old boy up to adult standards of punishment for delinquent behavior.

Agreed, what the hell.

Reactions: ck26

PuckLife

Feb 26, 2015
I’m more interested in speculating who advocated putting the kid on our list and why. who approved the pick and why. Who’s losing their job-I think someone has to. Hope it’s not Sullivan.

Reactions: Ghostface Keller

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Miller and his family are not the victims here. They are entitled to make the best of their situation, but they are not entitled to have it disappear as if nothing ever was.
ALL families are now victim to all this social media crap. AGAIN, the courts handed down the punishment and it was served. ALL involved are entitled to move forward, not having it rehashed at everyone's wishes. Leave these kids and the families alone.

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
ALL families are now victim to all this social media crap. AGAIN, the courts handed down the punishment and it was served. ALL involved are entitled to move forward, not having it rehashed at everyone's wishes. Leave these kids and the families alone.

No one is punishing anyone, this case is only about accountability in public life. If you can not accept accountability then you can freely stay out of public life. Living in private Miller and his family can be as alone as they want.

Dead Coyote

Oct 10, 2017

I was responding to RT saying that McKie was forgiven only because he read his letter in court.

The kid also had 1st or 2nd round talent according to scouts, so making millions isn't too far fetched. And considering guys like the Rupert twins, Austin Watson, Clinkhammer, etc have made millions not to far fetched that he would be able too.

Reactions: PJ817

RemoAZ

Let it burn
Mar 30, 2010
Glendale, Arizona
All of you perfect people that never made a mistake in your lives are going to explode when this kid is an all-star making millions. This is the Coyotes we are talking about. We've just thrown the Coyotes juju at him. He's destined for greatness now just to rub it in our faces. They'll be calling him the Blake Wheeler of defensemen just to make it that much worse.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $246.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig
    Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig