Prospect Info: 2020 Draft #111 - Mitchell Miller (RHD) [Mod Warning post #312]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Coyotedroppings

Jul 16, 2017
JMC and their family have lived their lives normally since the incident. I'm not sure where this idea of them being a lynch mob comes from. They interviewed and gave a statement to ARZ Republic, and wrote a letter about the Coyotes pick. That's about it. There's exactly one post about it on her twitter, and no posts about it on her Facebook. With 7 kids I think she might be a little too busy to spend all day on Twitter.

As far as I'm aware, ARZ Republic is the only organization to have actually contacted and interviewed her. I'm inclined to trust what that articles says more.
The lynch mob is right here on this thread, as far as I’m concerned.

Coyotedroppings

Jul 16, 2017
Link? That’s contrary to what I’ve read.
I’d like a link to the skull bashing article as well. And the N word article. I’ve read a Toledo article written after the court hearing, which is much less damning to Miller. I figure that much of this has been overblown and perhaps even fabricated. Either way, he’s acted according to court mandate and it should be over.
Also hard to believe Miller’s continued his reign of terror, when he’s lived so much of the time elsewhere.

TheLegend

Megathread Gadfly
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
No one is punishing anyone, this case is only about accountability in public life. If you can not accept accountability then you can freely stay out of public life. Living in private Miller and his family can be as alone as they want.

Miller is being publicly shamed at a mob level.

Miller’s victim and his family has received death threats.

So who isn’t being punished here again???

Fuhrious

Feb 3, 2004
I’d like a link to the skull bashing article as well. And the N word article. I’ve read a Toledo article written after the court hearing, which is much less damning to Miller. I figure that much of this has been overblown and perhaps even fabricated. Either way, he’s acted according to court mandate and it should be over.
Also hard to believe Miller’s continued his reign of terror, when he’s lived so much of the time elsewhere.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville

Last page is a pretty hard read.

Seems the Miller family is pretty trashy all-around. At least that’s what the report indicates. Whoever wrote the report obviously felt that way.

The one thing that REALLY stands out to me as very strange is all of the arm punching. The report states Miller punched MC multiple times but in the arms. Also MC punched Miller twice and McKie twice in the arms.

When I was 14 arm punching was what friends did to each other. Fighting was punching to the face and head. Horsing around and rough housing was arm punches. There were many games and pranks that involved chasing and arm punching. It’s how we had a good time.

I guess kids are different now. I guess that’s a good thing.

Reactions: GhostofTommyBolin

RemoAZ

Let it burn
Mar 30, 2010
Glendale, Arizona
Seems the Miller family is pretty trashy all-around. At least that’s what the report indicates. Whoever wrote the report obviously felt that way.

The one thing that REALLY stands out to me as very strange is all of the arm punching. The report states Miller punched MC multiple times but in the arms. Also MC punched Miller twice and McKie twice in the arms.

When I was 14 arm punching was what friends did to each other. Fighting was punching to the face and head. Horsing around and rough housing was arm punches. There were many games and pranks that involved chasing and arm punching. It’s how we had a good time.

Whether you're talking racism or being a bulley:
Bmkx6fXCUAARxvg.jpg:large

Dead Coyote

Oct 10, 2017

If you seriously can't find evidence to those things, with the articles that have been posted in this thread, then I would suggest that you should inform yourself further before commenting on a thread. Lack of knowledge isn't a good look when knowledge is so readily available.

But I suppose if you choose to simply not believe the victim or the victims family, things become a lot more black and white.

Dead Coyote

Oct 10, 2017

The writer is the reporting officer, Jacob Hammer. Bottom of first page.

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
From the Athletic:

"A junior league like the USHL could also be an option in the event Miller wanted to revisit the idea of playing in college. His USHL rights are owned by the Tri-City Storm. Miller played last season with the Storm, under coach Anthony Noreen, after spending his first season in the USHL with the Cedar Rapids Roughriders.
Noreen said it is still too early to determine if Miller could return to the Storm. He said that what Miller did to Meyer-Crothers was “completely wrong, inhumane and completely inexcusable” while adding he is concerned for Miller’s well being.
“I have talked to Mitchell quite a bit. It’s about as you’d imagine,” Noreen said. “He’s going through every human emotion. It’s been very tough on him. Tough on his family as well. With all respect to the victim, I don’t think there is anyone who has won in this situation. All anyone can want is the reconciliation to move forward. Is that possible? I don’t know. I just know my thoughts are with all of those who are involved.”
Before the draft, Miller wrote a letter of apology to all 31 NHL organizations in which he expressed “extreme regret” for what happened. He assured teams that he had changed. He provided character references from different hockey coaches along with his USHL billet family. And he detailed how he attended counseling, cultural diversity classes and also volunteered with physically disabled youth.
Noreen said Miller was “honest about what happened” from the moment he was traded, saying Miller knew “he had two strikes against him” and that he was seeking a chance for a fresh start. Noreen, who said repeatedly he does not condone what Miller did, wanted to help someone who was trying to show he was a different person.
He described Miller as respectful to everyone in the organization, his teammates, the Storm’s fan base and his billet parents. Noreen’s time with Miller went beyond the Storm. He coached Miller in two international tournaments for USA Hockey. Noreen said Miller, who was a seventh defenseman on one of those teams, never complained about playing time despite the fact he was a first-pairing defenseman in Tri-City.
“When we won that gold medal and he only played two shifts, there was no one more proud of what we did than him,” Noreen said. “Win or lose, he brought energy. He was an absolute joy to coach and be around. The billet family he had loved him. His teammates loved him. He wore a letter for us because he was a leader. He was someone who took a second chance and took off with it. As a person, this was one of the best people I have ever been around in my immediate dealing with him. That is what I can speak to.”
Noreen said there was never a question about Miller’s talent. But everyone involved knew NHL teams would eventually ask about what happened with Miller when he was 14 and, along with classmate Hunter R. McKie, rubbed a push-pop inside of a urinal at their middle school during a girls’ basketball game and then urged Meyer-Crothers to put the piece of candy into his mouth. McKie and Miller were suspended by the school.
Miller’s punishment was more severe because, according to a police report about the incident obtained by The Athletic, he repeatedly lied to school administrators, who confirmed the reports of other students by using the school’s security cameras.
Noreen said he told any Division I program or NHL team that asked, that Miller “owned” what he had done to Meyer-Crothers and that he was one of the “elite character human beings” he has been around. But Joni Meyer-Crothers said, in a letter she wrote to the Coyotes after the draft, that Miller never apologized to her son. She recounted in her letter what a magistrate said to Miller in 2016: “I don’t think you are remorseful for what you did more than you are upset for the negative attention you are getting.”
“When you give (teams) your word, it not only affects that player but every player I have in the future,” Noreen said. “If his character is not what I said it is, that not only affects him but the hundreds of players that I have after him.”"

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
.... that anyone knows of.

All we have are media accounts and an opinion from a judge some four years ago.

But there are a ton of internet experts out there who act like they directly witnessed everything that happened from the beginning.

False, we also have a statement by the victim's mother and Miller's own letter to NHL clubs which both highlighted the same. These are not four years ago but right now.

TheLegend

Megathread Gadfly
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
False, we also have a statement by the victim's mother and Miller's own letter to NHL clubs which both highlighted the same. These are not four years ago but right now.

All accounted for in the media. Letters that address what Miller did in 2016.

Just as there are media accounts of statements from the coaches of the teams he’s played for since the court who have said he’s been staying on the straight and narrow since that time. As exampled by the post right above yours.

I am not defending Miller or what he did here. I am challenging those who refuse to take all the information that’s out there.

I want to know why he wasn’t on the Coyotes draft list in June but ended up getting drafted by them.

I want to know why none of the 31 teams (including the Coyotes) bothered to contact the victim’s mother about what happened.

I want to know if Miller has done anything harmful to ANYONE since the 2016 incident.

NeelyWasAWarrior

Don't Poke The Bear
Dec 23, 2006
Boston Garden
His actions are so bad that simply apologizing for them as a prerequisite to get drafted by an NHL team and assume a professional hockey career seems an opportunity to offer up a disingenuous apology at best. These turn of events allows for an opportunity to reflect and redeem. It's like a guy going to jail for a crime. Before he can reflect and possibly redeem himself he needs to endure the punishment of having his rights and freedom taken away. He needs to be punished. Miller has definitely been punished. He'll have an opportunity at some point to show that he's learned from his mistakes.

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
All accounted for in the media. Letters that address what Miller did in 2016.

Just as there are media accounts of statements from the coaches of the teams he’s played for since the court who have said he’s been staying on the straight and narrow since that time. As exampled by the post right above yours.

I am not defending Miller or what he did here. I am challenging those who refuse to take all the information that’s out there.

I want to know why he wasn’t on the Coyotes draft list in June but ended up getting drafted by them.

I want to know why none of the 31 teams (including the Coyotes) bothered to contact the victim’s mother about what happened.

I want to know if Miller has done anything harmful to ANYONE since the 2016 incident.

The letter by the victim's mother addresses Miller's conduct up until 2018 when he moved out of town. Miller's own letter signals what kind of a person he is in 2020. Both are disturbing.

His hockey coaches in 2016 and before also evidently knew nothing about his abusive behavior in private, those are two separate spheres. Miller not complaining to his coach about his playing time is irrelevant.

The Coyotes have had a chaotic summer even without this incident, evidently the major changes in personnel have led to a situation where the integrity of their decision-making processes is compromised leading to unacceptable performance. Miller's letter was an obvious red flag to every team, but somehow the Coyotes managed to drop the ball after already catching it.

For Miller that unforced error effectively cost his place in the UND hockey team, but that's karma.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville

If he can handle being that far from home, this would be a tremendous opportunity. I’m not sure what his family’s financial situation is but I’d they can afford to have one parent there with him full-time, then this would be great for his career prospects. If he can show enough promise with SKA’s MHL club, and earns a KHL contract with SKA, he can pay for many UND degrees if he so wishes.

SKA is infamously stingy with opportunities for young players, however and it’s usually a long road. Look no further than Vasili Podkolzin as a great example of this. I would say for this SKA gamble to pay off for Miller, he’s going to need to spend an absolute minimum of three years there.

Coyotedroppings

Jul 16, 2017
If you seriously can't find evidence to those things, with the articles that have been posted in this thread, then I would suggest that you should inform yourself further before commenting on a thread. Lack of knowledge isn't a good look when knowledge is so readily available.

But I suppose if you choose to simply not believe the victim or the victims family, things become a lot more black and white.
Well, the mother is extremely upset and rightly so. It seems as though she’s so upset that she can’t let this go and I believe she could be embellishing.

Reactions: Jakey53

Dead Coyote

Oct 10, 2017
Well, the mother is extremely upset and rightly so. It seems as though she’s so upset that she can’t let this go and I believe she could be embellishing.

Right, because the mother has stayed on Miller's case the entire 4 years and written to every organization he's tried to be ap- what's that? She only ever mentioned anything about him when he was drafted by an NHL hockey club? She didn't even mention other hockey prospects or condemn his behaviour for ever? She only asked for an apology and said she was disappointed in the Coyotes? Hmmmmmm.

TheLegend

Megathread Gadfly
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
Right, because the mother has stayed on Miller's case the entire 4 years and written to every organization he's tried to be ap- what's that? She only ever mentioned anything about him when he was drafted by an NHL hockey club? She didn't even mention other hockey prospects or condemn his behaviour for ever? She only asked for an apology and said she was disappointed in the Coyotes? Hmmmmmm.

Which begs the question. Did she bother to contact any of the junior teams who gave him a roster spot, or UND who gave him a scholarship. Or was is just because being drafted by a major pro sports franchise was too much to handle??

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Yup, she wants to be heard. BLM. Flame away. Fortunately, this has never happened in our family, but I find it hard to believe that the parents of these kids did not see some signs of problems. And now, it seems that the parents of the victim can't let it go. Does she feel guilt? Self pity? It seems she has so much hatred built up for Miller that she will stop at nothing. She is not thinking how this could damage her family for years.

Reactions: Coyotedroppings
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad