WJC: 2020 Canada Roster Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oleksiak

Jun 12, 2019
Victoria, BC
I don't care how the teams do, but I do want to see some individual players stand out. Last year was very mediocre for everyone. I'm curious to see how Byfield looks in particular.

That's good. It's always risky when someone comes back from an injury right before a tournament and gets picked. Krebs is one potential case of that this year, as is McIsaac.
I'd rather not take anyone who wasn't playing for their own team prior to selection camp. It's too short a tournament to let someone get back up to speed while also playing in an unfamiliar system with new players. It cost us last year with JAD.

Reactions: kyle44

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
I'd rather not take anyone who wasn't playing for their own team prior to selection camp. It's too short a tournament to let someone get back up to speed while also playing in an unfamiliar system with new players. It cost us last year with JAD.

I agree. There are other instances as well. Unless the player is a potential superstar I'm not interested in anyone who has been out of action for basically the whole season up until December 26.

Reactions: Hagstrom

Dodospice

Jan 19, 2012
Here’s what I’m projecting they send based on who is picking the team, I’m also assuming this team gets Dach back but no Hayton or Dobson. This is a crap shoot obviously but I really don’t think Dobson is back, Hayton I’m not sure about and Dach I think ends up back. Couple of injury question marks and they’re only there until I know how much they’ll play prior to camp.. limited games, I think it’s tough to put Krebs or McIsaac on but if they’re back and up to speed, they’re locks IMO.

Lafreniere- Veleno- Dach
Krebs- Cozens- Tomasino
Foudy- Dellandrea- Thomas
Poulin- Groulx- Noel
Byfield

Smith- Woo
Byram- Bernard-Docker
McIsaac- Barron
Harley

Jones
Rodrigue

JuJu Mobb

Dec 9, 2009
Here’s what I’m projecting they send based on who is picking the team, I’m also assuming this team gets Dach back but no Hayton or Dobson. This is a crap shoot obviously but I really don’t think Dobson is back, Hayton I’m not sure about and Dach I think ends up back. Couple of injury question marks and they’re only there until I know how much they’ll play prior to camp.. limited games, I think it’s tough to put Krebs or McIsaac on but if they’re back and up to speed, they’re locks IMO.

Lafreniere- Veleno- Dach
Krebs- Cozens- Tomasino
Foudy- Dellandrea- Thomas
Poulin- Groulx- Noel
Byfield

Smith- Woo
Byram- Bernard-Docker
McIsaac- Barron
Harley

Jones
Rodrigue

There's so many good centers to choose from that you have no choice but to put Dach on the wing.

Gold Standard

Sep 7, 2018
https://www.tsn.ca/nhl/video/insider-trading-hockey-canada-eyeing-nhl-talent-for-world-juniors~1812502

McKenzie spoke about the three players (Dobson, Hayton, Dach) still in the NHL. He basically said that there are no plans to send Dobson or Hayton down and that Bowman would like to keep Dach up but it sounded less sure.

Yeah, I can understand in an NHL GM's infinite wisdom the benefit to 18-19 year olds working on their popcorn eating skills in the pressbox, or making it to appointments with their tailor before their afternoon nap. dress for success in the pressbox. all key elements in becoming a bonafide NHLer.

Reactions: jj cale

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
Yeah, I can understand in an NHL GM's infinite wisdom the benefit to 18-19 year olds working on their popcorn eating skills in the pressbox, or making it to appointments with their tailor before their afternoon nap. dress for success in the pressbox. all key elements in becoming a bonafide NHLer.

Yes it is always interesting to read that perspective. Or the idea that seemingly every drafted player has nothing to learn in the CHL and should be in the AHL, ignoring that most of the players did not dominate at the CHL and that the CHL itself would become a much weaker development league, especially for players during their more critical early CHL years, if the top players could go to the AHL. I read one poster talking about the benefit to Hayton of learning about the geography of the Phoenix area. Also possibly of note, Veleno has been pointless through six games AHL games.

I watched the Chicago game yesterday and I've looked at what some Chicago fans have been saying. Dach has looked pretty good in the NHL thus far. I had Dach planned for Lafreniere's line, and that may still end up happening, but it looks like there is a decent chance that he stays in the NHL.

Reactions: Wings4Life

Gold Standard

Sep 7, 2018
Yes it is always interesting to read that perspective. Or the idea that seemingly every drafted player has nothing to learn in the CHL and should be in the AHL, ignoring that most of the players did not dominate at the CHL and that the CHL itself would become a much weaker development league, especially for players during their more critical early CHL years, if the top players could go to the AHL. I read one poster talking about the benefit to Hayton of learning about the geography of the Phoenix area. Also possibly of note, Veleno has been pointless through six games AHL games.

I watched the Chicago game yesterday and I've looked at what some Chicago fans have been saying. Dach has looked pretty good in the NHL thus far. I had Dach planned for Lafreniere's line, and that may still end up happening, but it looks like there is a decent chance that he stays in the NHL.

I always chuckle at the 'nothing left to learn' argument. or it's close cousin 'can't unlearn CHL habits in the CHL'. people love playing fantasy GM. what are you going to do, but laugh at all the nonsense.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
What are the chances Foudy makes the team? Also is nobody thinking that Connor McMichael has a chance?

I think that both will. Playing for the coach can't hurt, both have high draft positions, McMichael is doing a lot of scoring this year, and Foudy could easily be used on the penalty kill and as a winger on Canada's defensive line.

tfantasy

Pirate of Bengal
Jun 1, 2008
Its still a little early for me to make a team. I'd like to watch the superseries first. I'd also like to see Perfetti make this team. He looked real good at the Hlinka Gretkzy. Can't wait to see him and Byfield play for team OHL in the CAN/RUS superseries in a couple of weeks.

Poulin- Groulx- Noel
I'm liking that fourth line

Also is nobody thinking that Connor McMichael has a chance?
I think he's got a real good chance

Last edited:
Aug 25, 2009
éal
Does Tracey have any chance at making the team?
I'm curious about him as well. Missed the start of the season because of an injury but he's been putting up big numbers since he came back.

Also, could Cam Hillis be in the mix? After a slow start he has 17 points in 13 games on a bad team. Also leading the team with +11

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS
I'm curious about him as well. Missed the start of the season because of an injury but he's been putting up big numbers since he came back.

Also, could Cam Hillis be in the mix? After a slow start he has 17 points in 13 games on a bad team. Also leading the team with +11
Seems pretty unlikely. He is probably competing for a spot at camp right now.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
I also wait until the super series to really consider who is likely there beyond the most obvious players, but the last few years have made it seem like super series performance had very little bearing even on camp invitations.

Are there any realistic NCAA hopefuls beyond Bernard-Docker?

Dodospice

Jan 19, 2012
Its still a little early for me to make a team. I'd like to watch the superseries first. I'd also like to see Perfetti make this team. He looked real good at the Hlinka Gretkzy. Can't wait to see him and Byfield play for team OHL in the CAN/RUS superseries in a couple of weeks.

I'm liking that fourth line

I think he's got a real good chance

I really like the idea of those guys on the 4th line... all bigger guys, that can play up and down in the lineup and I think it could be a real force for teams to handle, especially if they get rolling in the offensive zone. They may not produce a lot of points but I think they’re the type of guys that could come into the tournament without a lot of fan fare and really have strong performances. I don’t know where everyone sits on Poulin but there’s no way I wouldn’t have him on my team. He just does all the little things right and IMO could have a big impact on games from the 4th line and build a bigger role as the tournament moves forward.

cg98

Oct 10, 2017
I also wait until the super series to really consider who is likely there beyond the most obvious players, but the last few years have made it seem like super series performance had very little bearing even on camp invitations.

My dark horse candidate would be Peter Diliberatore from Quinnipiac.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
My dark horse candidate would be Peter Diliberatore from Quinnipiac.

Interesting, I don't recall even hearing about him. Quality NCAA defencemen interest me at this level. Definitely a dark horse given his limited Hockey Canada experience.

WildWillie

Jan 9, 2019

Despite the slow start, Alex Newhook has to be getting a look. performed well at the u18s in the summer.

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
Interesting, I don't recall even hearing about him. Quality NCAA defencemen interest me at this level. Definitely a dark horse given his limited Hockey Canada experience.

He's on Team Canada's radar as he was a summer invite. Had a great run towards the Frozen 4, and he's off to a great start this season.

Reactions: cg98

ETTHAKING67

Feb 12, 2019
Despite the slow start, Alex Newhook has to be getting a look. performed well at the u18s in the summer.

I really hope he gets an invite to the camp. It would be really fun to be able to watch Newhook and BB playing together, if it happens there is no chance I miss a single minute of these games.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad