Series Talk: 2020 Avs Playoffs | Round 1: Arizona Coyotes

Pick the winner

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
While Hall would want to play with Mack, he was tailor made to play with Kadri. Hall tends to rush around the defenseman on the left side with his speed and pass right to the middle lagging player from the corner, or from behind the net area. Kadri would just pot all those passes into goals.
Hall and Mack wouldnt work. Both guys love to carry the puck. Hall would be a nice add with Kadri though. Hall is a pipe dream.

Reactions: CobraAcesS

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019
Mikko has 10 points and I still think he has another level he can reach still. Would be scary if he does. I thought he had his best game today.

He’s been real good the last couple games. You know Mikko’s feeling it when he knocks pucks out of the air on defensive plays and he did that today. But, yeah he’s got another level. He’s that good.

I know I keep harping on this, but I think both he and Makar are not close to top form in terms of their skating. Hopefully a week of practice will help with that.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
So happy Bednar finally reunited the Bura-Kadri-Donskoi line. I’ve been waiting to see that line together again for almost a year since October.

That’s two games in a row now they’ve played great, and they were great together early in the Avs season too because they have legit natural chemistry together. They didn’t need to build it, it was already there.

They just read off each other so well. They’re always close together, supporting each other well. The Tanguay-Sakic-Hejduk line used to do the same thing.

Their styles mesh well together too because there’s always two guys that can do the same thing. Donskoi and Kadri are both great at crashing the net for rebounds, so both guys know that’s where they’re gonna go on certain plays.

And both Bura and Kadri have great shots, and underrated passing games. Plus Bura is great with maintaining possession the O zone, and with his zone entries for off the rush chances, which helps Naz because he can sometimes over handle the puck when he’s not on his game.

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
He’s been real good the last couple games. You know Mikko’s feeling it when he knocks pucks out of the air on defensive plays and he did that today. But, yeah he’s got another level. He’s that good.

I know I keep harping on this, but I think both he and Makar are not close to top form in terms of their skating. Hopefully a week of practice will help with that.
I think Makars skating has gotten better with each game but at times it does feel like hes being overly cautious. Last years playoffs he was going off instinct. You see it sometimes on the PP with the zone entry. Makar sees the open ice but he has to bump it back to Mack or Landy. I wish he would just take it himself just to give the other team something else to worry about.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
So happy Bednar finally reunited the Bura-Kadri-Donskoi line. I’ve been waiting to see that line together again for almost a year since October.

That’s two games in a row now they’ve played great, and they were great together early in the Avs season too because they have legit natural chemistry together. They didn’t need to build it, it was already there.

They just read off each other so well. They’re always close together, supporting each other well. The Tanguay-Sakic-Hejduk line used to do the same thing.

Their styles mesh well together too because there’s always two guys that can do the same thing. Donskoi and Kadri are both great at crashing the net for rebounds, so both guys know that’s where they’re gonna go on certain plays.

And both Bura and Kadri have great shots, and underrated passing games. Plus Bura is great with maintaining possession the O zone, and with his zone entries for off the rush chances, which helps Naz because he can sometimes over handle the puck when he’s not on his game.

Here's some examples of the chemistry that line has together.

Donskoi working hard at the defensive blueline. Naz comes in to support him for a short pass if it’s there. Donskoi chips the puck to Bura on the wall instead. Then a great little chip pass by Burakovsky along the wall to spring Naz for the breakaway. All three guys knowing where each other are, and thinking two steps ahead.

You can see as soon as the puck goes into the neutral zone, both Bura and Kadri instantly know what they’re gonna do. Kadri’s gonna get on his horse, and Bura’s gonna draw the only man back to him, and then pass to Naz for the breakaway.

All of them playing as a 3 man unit here. Everyone knowing where the soft spots on the ice are, and where their line mates are gonna be, so they can pass there. Bura finds Naz behind him for a one timer that almost went in.

giphy.gif

Kadri instantly jumps on his horse again knowing what Bura's about to do, and he almost springs Naz for another potential breakaway if he can get around the D man.

giphy.gif

GirardSpinorama

Aug 20, 2004
I think Makars skating has gotten better with each game but at times it does feel like hes being overly cautious. Last years playoffs he was going off instinct. You see it sometimes on the PP with the zone entry. Makar sees the open ice but he has to bump it back to Mack or Landy. I wish he would just take it himself just to give the other team something else to worry about.

Makar is just a coach's dream because he's not out there free lancing when he's told not to. But when he does; watch out.

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
Here's some examples of the chemistry that line has together.

Donskoi working hard at the defensive blueline. Naz comes in to support him for a short pass if it’s there. Donskoi chips the puck to Bura on the wall instead. Then a great little chip pass by Burakovsky along the wall to spring Naz for the breakaway. All three guys knowing where each other are, and thinking two steps ahead.

You can see as soon as the puck goes into the neutral zone, both Bura and Kadri instantly know what they’re gonna do. Kadri’s gonna get on his horse, and Bura’s gonna draw the only man back to him, and then pass to Naz for the breakaway.

All of them playing as a 3 man unit here. Everyone knowing where the soft spots on the ice are, and where their line mates are gonna be, so they can pass there. Bura finds Naz behind him for a one timer that almost went in.

giphy.gif

Kadri instantly jumps on his horse again knowing what Bura's about to do, and he almost springs Naz for another potential breakaway if he can get around the D man.

giphy.gif

I didnt even notice the subtle chip pass to spring Kadri on that breakaway initially.

Reactions: Foppa2118

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
TOI for defenders this far:

Makar 21:42
Girard 20:04
Graves 19:27
EJ 19:18
Cole 17:05
Zadorov 15:32

Good balance. They don't have to overplay EJ in offensive situations and don't have to overplay Cole/Zadorov period. Not playing Makar too many minutes early one hopefully keeps him fresh.

Having a five game series where Avs rarely had to chase goals is about as favorable start to the playoffs as we could have hoped for.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
TOI for defenders this far:

Makar 21:42
Girard 20:04
Graves 19:27
EJ 19:18
Cole 17:05
Zadorov 15:32

Good balance. They don't have to overplay EJ in offensive situations and don't have to overplay Cole/Zadorov period. Not playing Makar too many minutes early one hopefully keeps him fresh.

Having a five game series where Avs rarely had to chase goals is about as favorable start to the playoffs as we could have hoped for.

Those are a little skewed too because they were putting Graves-Makar out there a ton in the Game 3 loss, and they rested EJ a lot in the blowouts, giving Cole and Z a lot of time in the thirds.

Cole led the D in the final game with 21:21 for example. Zadorov had 18:54. While EJ had 17:39 and 18:22 in the final two games. In game 3, Makar had 25:42 and Graves had 20:20.

Kind of a weird mish mash of ice times in this series because some games they were chasing and others they were dominating.

Last edited:

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019
Those are a little skewed too because they were putting Graves-Makar out there a ton in the Game 3 loss, and they rested EJ a lot in the blowouts, giving Cole and Z a lot of time in the thirds.

Cole led the D in the final game with 21:21 for example. Zadorov had 18:54. While EJ had 17:39 and 18:22 in the final two games.

Kind of a weird mish mash of ice times in this series because some games they were chasing and others they were dominating.

None of the top guys have played a whole lot yet, which isn’t a bad thing.

Avsboy

Dec 12, 2006
Anyone wants to re-consider offering Taylor Hall a massive long term contract?

Completely invisible and probably already on the decline. Anyone suckered into the signing will regret it very soon.

The whole Arizona team stunk. Hall was clearly their best player.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Anyone wants to re-consider offering Taylor Hall a massive long term contract?

Completely invisible and probably already on the decline. Anyone suckered into the signing will regret it very soon.

I wouldn't say he was completely invisible. In games 2 and 3 he was a beast on the ice, he just didn't have a ton of highlight-reel plays. Only so much one player on a mediocre squad can do.

He's still a very good player. When he's on his game he is an elite power forward who can play in all three zones. I maintain the reason a team should think twice before throwing tons of money and term at him is his injury history and age.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
OEL - 0 points in 5 games against the Avs in the "real" playoffs.
I don't know if OEL peaked early or really needs a change of scenery.

The fact that the Yotes are a cap team with that roster makes me uncomfortable. New GM will have a lot of work to do.

Reactions: Colorado Avalanche

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Keller was good, Hall was good, Richardson had his moments and still somehow managed to add to his Avs-killer totals despite the fact his team got completely run over in this series. I at least took notice of Richardson and Hinostroza (a player I've always liked) whenever they were on the ice. Kessel was buzzing in game 3, otherwise I didn't really notice him. Apart from Richardson I seriously couldn't tell you which center was on the ice when. I swear it was the third period before I heard McGahey mention Hayton's name (no dig on him, he's still just a rookie).

Defense for the Coyotes was nonexistent. Only time I could tell you for sure Alex Goligoski was on the ice was when he got completely scorched by Cale Makar and tried that weak-ass hack as Cale blew by him. Chayka really put a lot of work into that blueline. I wasn't impressed.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Chayka really put a lot of work into that blueline.
His biggest success was to convince soon-to-be UFA OEL to stay and sign long term with them. Too bad that OEL quickly turned into "not that good anymore" and is still signed for 40 more years at 8.25M per.

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
Keller was good, Hall was good, Richardson had his moments and still somehow managed to add to his Avs-killer totals despite the fact his team got completely run over in this series. I at least took notice of Richardson and Hinostroza (a player I've always liked) whenever they were on the ice. Kessel was buzzing in game 3, otherwise I didn't really notice him. Apart from Richardson I seriously couldn't tell you which center was on the ice when. I swear it was the third period before I heard McGahey mention Hayton's name (no dig on him, he's still just a rookie).

Defense for the Coyotes was nonexistent. Only time I could tell you for sure Alex Goligoski was on the ice was when he got completely scorched by Cale Makar and tried that weak-ass hack as Cale blew by him. Chayka really put a lot of work into that blueline. I wasn't impressed.

Is this the same ex avs richardson? Jeez he's still in the league?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad