Pick the winner

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
Would take Soda back on this team as the 3C next year in a heart beat.

That was alway the single most puzzling deal Joe made last summer. I mean I guess it made sense with what they were hoping to do(Panarin).... But why make the deal before you even know if you're going to get the Breadman or not.

Soda as the 3C here behind Mack and Naz with PEB the 4C would have been incredible Center depth with a fantastic combination of size, skill, two-way play, and speed all the way down the middle.

shadow1

Nov 29, 2008
I think Soderberg sealed his fate when he put only 2 points (0 goals) in 12 playoff games last season, after scoring 49 in the regular season.

He similarly has only 2 points in 8 playoff games this post-season, giving him 12 points in 40 career playoff games.

Frankly, the Soderberg experience is making me a bit nervous about Nichushkin's next contract. He had a great regular season, but has a measly 6 shots (and no points) through 7 playoff games so far. In fact, he only has 3 playoff points in 24 career post-season games.

LTC Pain

Jul 1, 2006
Colorado Springs, CO
I think Soderberg sealed his fate when he put only 2 points (0 goals) in 12 playoff games last season, after scoring 49 in the regular season.

He similarly has only 2 points in 8 playoff games this post-season, giving him 12 points in 40 career playoff games.

Frankly, the Soderberg experience is making me a bit nervous about Nichushkin's next contract. He had a great regular season, but has a measly 6 shots (and no points) through 7 playoff games so far. In fact, he only has 3 playoff points in 24 career post-season games.

I'm not sure I see much offensive upside for Nichushkin. I like him as a defensive, high-motor player but that's about it. Next contract? Sure, within reason based on his limited skillset as a bottom-six player.

Reactions: McMetal

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Would take Soda back on this team as the 3C next year in a heart beat.

That was alway the single most puzzling deal Joe made last summer. I mean I guess it made sense with what they were hoping to do(Panarin).... But why make the deal before you even know if you're going to get the Breadman or not.

Soda as the 3C here behind Mack and Naz with PEB the 4C would have been incredible Center depth with a fantastic combination of size, skill, two-way play, and speed all the way down the middle.

I wouldn't. He'll be 35 by then and while he's probably got maybe one or possibly two years of NHL hockey left in him, I don't see this being a good fit anymore.

And, yes, I know I will come off like a broken record here, but I really don't think Soda works as a 3C. The quasi-2C role he played under Bednar was perfect for him. He kinda/sorta could do something similar for the Avs even with Kadri in the fold, but, I think there are better fits out there.

As for why they did the deal when they did, it takes two or more GMs to make a deal. Pure speculation on my part, but I don't think Chayka was going to just wait around until top free agents were done being courted to serve as Sakic's salary dumping ground. Not saying Soda and his contract would have been impossible to move after free agency, but it sure would've been a whole lot more difficult with so many players up for grabs and salary caps exhausted.

shadow1

Nov 29, 2008
I'm not sure I see much offensive upside for Nichushkin. I like him as a defensive, high-motor player but that's about it. Next contract? Sure, within reason based on his limited skillset as a bottom-six player.

Yeah he's definitely not a top-6 player, but I still feel his overall game has shrunk this post-season.

When you remove October from the equation (a month which he saw time as a healthy scratch and played on the fourth line), Nichushkin produced at a near 40 point pace. Meanwhile in the playoffs, he has one shot the last three games, in which the team combine for 109.

Not saying I want Sakic to part ways with the guy...just think they might want to err on the side of caution when it comes to the term of his next deal.

Reactions: LTC Pain

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
Yeah he's definitely not a top-6 player, but I still feel his overall game has shrunk this post-season.

When you remove October from the equation (a month which he saw time as a healthy scratch and played on the fourth line), Nichushkin produced at a near 40 point pace. Meanwhile in the playoffs, he has one shot the last three games, in which the team combine for 109.

Not saying I want Sakic to part ways with the guy...just think they might want to err on the side of caution when it comes to the term of his next deal.
Two years.

RockyMtnRedhawk

Feb 25, 2014
Denver
Are we sure Pierre isn't calling all the games in the West and Boucher all the games in the East? They are both physically at the arenas. The PBP guys are all remote, I believe, so they can do games for either conference.

I'd imagine Pierre will continue calling Western Conference games until the conference finals. Once the East teams move to Edmonton, I'd imagine Boucher will take over and do all of the games.

BrickNHL

Feb 25, 2019
Are we sure Pierre isn't calling all the games in the West and Boucher all the games in the East? They are both physically at the arenas. The PBP guys are all remote, I believe, so they can do games for either conference.

I think for the Canadian broadcast in round 2 they do their own commentary and stop using NBC's feed.

Dont quote me though, we usually don't get this far lol

Reactions: Avs_19

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
I think for the Canadian broadcast in round 2 they do their own commentary and stop using NBC's feed.

Dont quote me though, we usually don't get this far lol

I’m pretty sure that’s how it’ll be. Cuthbert and Debrusk are calling the West for Sportsnet so we should get them in Canada unless the two West games are on the same day. In the US it might be the same as it is right now on NBC.

Reactions: BrickNHL

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia

He had so much bad puck luck. Remember when he had an empty net and shot the puck and in the same motion batted it out of the air lol. He set up one of the biggest goals in OT Mikkos OT goal in game 4.

Reactions: GirardSpinorama

RABBIT

wasn’t gonna be a fan but Utalked me into it
Thanks for slaughtering us and making it entertaining. That should hopefully be the end of Tocchet and some of our careless vets.

you guys are my team for the remainder of the playoffs, I can’t imagine what it’s like to watch MacKinnon and Makar on a nightly basis. And the Kadri deal looks absolutely bananalands.

I move to Frisco/Breck in October so you guys may see me check in on here from time to time as I will definitely be getting closer to this team. I always thought fans with 2 teams were weird as hell but I may become one them. :scared:

Best of luck!

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
I like Soderberg, but he's a year older than when he had 2 points in 12 playoff games, and he only had 2 points in 8 games this year.

They have the cap space and assets to do better than a soon to be 35 year old Soda as 3C.

Bednar will want better wheels up the middle anyway.

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019
Unless I missed someone, Mack is leading the playoffs in scoring, right? Naz is a little disappointing. He doesn't even have sole possession of second place yet.

Not too sure, but here’s the playoff points so far for some of the Avs:

MacK: 13 Pts, 8 games
Naz: 11 Pts, 8 games
Mikko: 10 Pts, 8 games
Burky/Landy: 8 Pts, 8 games
Cale: 7 Pts, 8 games

Avsboy

Dec 12, 2006
While Hall would want to play with Mack, he was tailor made to play with Kadri. Hall tends to rush around the defenseman on the left side with his speed and pass right to the middle lagging player from the corner, or from behind the net area. Kadri would just pot all those passes into goals.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad