Series Talk: 2020 Avs Playoffs | Round 1: Arizona Coyotes

Pick the winner

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
You guys are giving Hall way too much credit IMO.

He was buzzing for like a combined 30 seconds in this series.

He's always been known as an individual player that doesn't really use his linemates. He doesn't need to play with great players to stand out, or to put up points.

He put up 93 points in 2007-08 with NJ, when the next closest players on his team had 52, 44, and 35 points. That was the reason he won the Hart.

He just didn't bring it in this series.

Reactions: The Kingslayer

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Is this the same ex avs richardson? Jeez he's still in the league?

I know, right? Here's the funny part: Last season, Richardson tied Alex Galchenyuk for the team lead in goals with 19. And he did in in fewer games than Gally as well. So, that's either very impressive or really pathetic depending on your point of view.

I thought for sure Richardson was going to spiral out of the league when he had surgery on his wrist. I remember when Vinny Lecavalier had something similar done and it essentially ruined his career. And Richardson's shot was/is a big part of his game. But sure enough, he refused to go away and still scraps like hell in the league.

Reactions: The Kingslayer

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Yeah, I don't recall any Coyotes defender doing much of anything in this series apart from Chychrun's power play goal.

I don't know if OEL peaked early or really needs a change of scenery.

The fact that the Yotes are a cap team with that roster makes me uncomfortable. New GM will have a lot of work to do.

I've always though OEL is overrated, and I thought the same about Arizona's entire D core really.

Their best defenseman by far were the aging Hjalmarson and Demers early in the series, before they gassed out.

I think OEL likes to act tough but when he has to lead his team through the trenches, he's a weak leader.

That's why he tried to act tough against the much smaller Andrighetto, but when push came to shove, he let Ghetto smack him around and embarrass him.

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
I know, right? Here's the funny part: Last season, Richardson tied Alex Galchenyuk for the team lead in goals with 19. And he did in in fewer games than Gally as well. So, that's either very impressive or really pathetic depending on your point of view.

I thought for sure Richardson was going to spiral out of the league when he had surgery on his wrist. I remember when Vinny Lecavalier had something similar done and it essentially ruined his career. And Richardson's shot was/is a big part of his game. But sure enough, he refused to go away and still scraps like hell in the league.
Woof that's bad from the former 3rd pick.... I checked his stats he looks like a bust relative to his draft position. I checked out Drouin's too his look awful in comparison to his potential. Good thing they listened to me and not drafted that midget. Too bad they didn't get my favourite jones eh.... :P

Reactions: Pokecheque

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
Woof that's bad from the former 3rd pick.... I checked his stats he looks like a bust relative to his draft position. I checked out Drouin's too his look awful in comparison to his potential. Good thing they listened to me and not drafted that midget. Too bad they didn't get my favourite jones eh.... :P
Mack is better than Jones so luckily we didn’t whiff there. But Jones is f***ing insane.

Reactions: McMetal

Pokecheque

Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
I won't argue too much there except to say that he has indeed had some really monster seasons stats-wise, especially 2015-16.

The biggest issue with OEL is a complete and utter failure to build anything of consequence around him. Chychrun would have been a fantastic #2 (or maybe even #1) but injuries have all but destroyed the possibility of that. Grabbing aging vets in Demers, Goligoski, and Hjalmarsson hasn't worked out at all either, and Hjalmarsson has been injured AF in Arizona as well.

Chayka should've just drafted Quinn Hughes. Why he reached for Hayton continues to baffle me. If he takes Hughes, not only does he get a superstar defenseman that OEL and Chickenrun line up very nicely with, the next year he doesn't have to pull a trade with Philly to get Soderstrom. Instead, he went into a defense-heavy draft, reached and got a forward, then went into a forward-heavy draft and traded up to get a defenseman. Makes no sense. It was like he just got locked onto one player and refused to see any other option.

If Hayton and Soderstrom actually work out, then I'll eat my words. But Hughes is ALREADY working out and the Coyotes continue to toil in mediocrity.

Pokecheque

Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com

Eh, they took a chance on Gally (Domi was doing nothing for them, much like he's doing nothing for the Habs at present) and it didn't work out. Oh well. I'd say 19 goals from him at this stage is a bonus.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
I just want them to keep Nichushkin because he's the one player the Avs have who can drive Ryan O'Reilly completely batshit.

So legit lol, even if Nuke does not take another step offensively like I think he can.

Thanks for slaughtering us and making it entertaining. That should hopefully be the end of Tocchet and some of our careless vets.

you guys are my team for the remainder of the playoffs, I can’t imagine what it’s like to watch MacKinnon and Makar on a nightly basis. And the Kadri deal looks absolutely bananalands.

I move to Frisco/Breck in October so you guys may see me check in on here from time to time as I will definitely be getting closer to this team. I always thought fans with 2 teams were weird as hell but I may become one them. :scared:

Best of luck!

Cool, I never had it in me to root for a team that punched our ticket in the playoffs.

While Hall would want to play with Mack, he was tailor made to play with Kadri. Hall tends to rush around the defenseman on the left side with his speed and pass right to the middle lagging player from the corner, or from behind the net area. Kadri would just pot all those passes into goals.

So true, and hes not useless against the puck now after playing in both NJ and AZ's systems. I don't think he was amazing, but he had some good games, and I kept seeing him in front of our net. He obviously bought into going to the dirty areas and playing the right way.

Still gun shy on the injury hx, but if he signs a fair contract that fits into the salary structure of the team for the future. I'm down.

AllAboutAvs

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 25, 2006
Quietly Makar leads all players in the playoffs with +9 in 8 games. Of course Graves is not far behind tied for 4th at +7. I know it's not a very good stat but I thought it was still interesting. The eye test pretty well confirms that too as he has been quite solid defensively.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Why he reached for Hayton continues to baffle me.

In the 2018 draft you had 2 teams in the top 5 that were absolutely desperate for top 6 C's. Their teams didn't have any and they openly couldn't trade for one (look at what Chayka had to pay for Stepan a year earlier). Everyone was saying that they had to draft them.

Unfortunately, the top of that draft was absolutely abysmal for centers compared to most other years and they still drafted for need and picked the 2 highest ranked C's in the draft.

You know that deep down Bergevin really wanted Tkachuk and Chayka had no business reaching for Hayton.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Quietly Makar leads all players in the playoffs with +9 in 8 games. Of course Graves is not far behind tied for 4th at +7. I know it's not a very good stat but I thought it was still interesting. The eye test pretty well confirms that too as he has been quite solid defensively.

Cale is like two or three times the defensive player he was at the start of the year.

The speed at which he learns and adjusts at his age is so impressive.

AllAboutAvs

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 25, 2006
Cale is like two or three times the defensive player he was at the start of the year.

The speed at which he learns and adjusts at his age is so impressive.
You could see it right away last year during the playoffs how much of a quick learner he is. An example of that was against the Sharks he got beat by Kane speeding around him (I think Kane scored on that play). Kane tried that twice more and both times Makar handled him perfectly. He makes mistakes but he learns from them and he doesn't repeat them often.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
You could see it right away last year during the playoffs how much of a quick learner he is. An example of that was against the Sharks he got beat by Kane speeding around him (I think Kane scored on that play). Kane tried that twice more and both times Makar handled him perfectly. He makes mistakes but he learns from them and he doesn't repeat them often.

We have to remember, both him and Girard are learning. Loved watching Girard just use his feet and evade guys carrying it out of the zone as he got more comfortable. Makar is doing the same thing, and either moving it quicker or skating under pressure. They are both learning how to deal with being checked hard in the playoffs, and were better as the 1st round went on. Pretty cool seeing them both gain experience and respond the right way.

Reactions: AllAboutAvs

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
I was right, a lot of other people were wrong. Including Athletic writers, and Canada's head coach.

Lots of people bought into the narrative that Makar was gonna be too small, or a purely offensive defenseman like Barrie. It never made sense given his height and weight at the draft combine, and his physicality, and compete level.

Even at the WJC he had good size and strength, and played a very solid two way game the whole tourney, but the narrative was that he was too risky to be trusted. Despite the fact that he never played a "risky" style in that tourney. He just picked his spots well to be aggressive and always had the speed to get back if needed.

Reactions: CobraAcesS

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
Lots of people bought into the narrative that Makar was gonna be too small, or a purely offensive defenseman like Barrie. It never made sense given his height and weight at the draft combine, and his physicality, and compete level.

Even at the WJC he had good size and strength, and played a solid two way game the whole tourney, but the narrative was that he was too risky to be trusted. Despite the fact that he never played a "risky" style in that tourney. He just picked his spots well to be aggressive and always had the speed to get back if needed.

I was in here a week after the draft talking about it just from watching the WJSS in Plymouth, MI in person. I'm never letting anyone forget it either. :D

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
We have to remember, both him and Girard are learning. Loved watching Girard just use his feet and evade guys carrying it out of the zone as he got more comfortable. Makar is doing the same thing, and either moving it quicker or skating under pressure. They are both learning how to deal with being checked hard in the playoffs, and were better as the 1st round went on. Pretty cool seeing them both gain experience and respond the right way.
They better learn fast because they are going to be a target whenever we face a team that plays a heavy style like STL or Vegas.

Reactions: CobraAcesS

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
They better learn fast because they are going to be a target whenever we face a team that plays a heavy style like STL or Vegas.

Arizona tried to check us hard, and it worked for a minute. It was a good lesson for them. Girard was making mistakes, but cleaned it up and used his feet. A slower team like STL, or DAL I'm not as worried about, but Vegas will be interesting. I'm just saying it's fun, and I like the way both have responded thus far. Neither of them are soft.

Reactions: Balthazar

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019

He was on the ice for 18 goals for and 2 against through the round robin and Coyotes series. Both those goals against were empty net goals. We’ll see how long he can keep up the 0 against at 5v5.

Reactions: AllAboutAvs

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad