Prospect Info: 2020 2nd Rd Selection - #59 OA (via OTT) - C Roni Hirvonen (Assat) - 5'9 164

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
We need some C's in the system. He is also already playing pro and will be able to develop in Europe this year while some of the players in the NA will be waiting for leagues to maybe start.

TopChedder

Oct 2, 2013
2nd or 3rd Line defensive center that can chip in offensively seems to be the projection.

If he turns into a 2 way C on the 3rd line with high IQ I would do cartwheels down Yonge street lol

This is a solid pick and great value. Not the player I thought Dubas would pick but that's why they are paid to draft.

Morgs

#16 #34 #44 #88 #91
Jul 12, 2015
London, ON
Hey @Morgs Since I trust you a lot with this stuff, any brief scouting report?
I'm happy with the pick but needed your insight

He played the most games of any U18 player in Finland last year. His size isn't an issue at all. Seems to have great IQ, good skating, works hard.

Good offensive instincts. His MO is to be in the dirty areas in the offensive zone, and is a relatively good shooter- just needs some more strength on the shot. Plus his passing accuracy needs work, but for what it's worth he tries to pass into dangerous areas a lot.

His defense is fine, it's not going to hurt a team, but it's not something that really stood out to me. He definitely puts in the effort though and that's obviously so important.

Reactions: Prominence

Ashdown2

Aug 19, 2006
he was 17 years old playing in the top league in finland ... playing against adults much bigger than him .. and putting up a ton of points.
he put up 5 pointz in 3 games playing against his peers in the hilinka tournament.

hes got SKILLZZZ ... ... if he was 6'1 he would have been a top 15 pick

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
san-jose-sharks.png
Tristen Robins
Saskatoon (WHL)
RW5'10176
tampa-bay-lightning.png
Jack Finley
Spokane (WHL)
C6'7213
boston-bruins.png
Mason Lohrei
Green Bay (USHL)
D6'4195
toronto-maple-leafs.png
Roni Hirvonen
Assat (Fin)
C5'9164
new-york-rangers.png
Will Cuylle
Windsor (OHL)
LW6'3204
ottawa-senators.png
Egor Sokolov
Cape Breton (QMJHL)
LW6'4235
tampa-bay-lightning.png
Gage Goncalves
Everett (WHL)
C6'0165
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Reactions: Magic Man

FrankGallagher

Oct 6, 2015
While I don't mind these picks in isolation, I think we overvalue one type of player a ton in the draft. I don't see what they think Hirvonen's upside is and would prefer a swing on someone with more raw tools, would really prefer a draft run by more scouting than statistical analysis

Reactions: MJK

Once

Stop ******* crying bro
Jul 16, 2010
I could probably throw him across the room. In all fairness, the profile on him seems good. Looks like Dubas is after a combination of 2-way play/skilled/work ethic. Good mix for what this group should aspire to moving forward.

baton elevated

One Man Gang
Jun 4, 2009
Since he is so young hopefully a growth spurt will take him to 5'11" area. As the body matures the legs will get stronger thus making him a better faster skater....... one can dream, but it does happen.

Steven1562

May 13, 2013
So speed, skill and gets to the dirty areas. I think he probably moves to the wing but not super upset about the pick. We won't know till 3-4 years down the line.

Dugath

Jan 9, 2014
How tall is Dubas anyways? I am starting to think he has a complex about height, perhaps does not like people being taller than himself.

Reactions: ToneDog

Bearr

Dec 31, 2015
He actually got drafted while playing a game, how often does that happen? He's now playing with Ässät against HPK.

He had a couple of really, really good (toe drag?) dekes that completely opened up the offensive zone. No goal on those though.

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
He played the most games of any U18 player in Finland last year. His size isn't an issue at all. Seems to have great IQ, good skating, works hard.

Good offensive instincts. His MO is to be in the dirty areas in the offensive zone, and is a relatively good shooter- just needs some more strength on the shot. Plus his passing accuracy needs work, but for what it's worth he tries to pass into dangerous areas a lot.

His defense is fine, it's not going to hurt a team, but it's not something that really stood out to me. He definitely puts in the effort though and that's obviously so important.
Thanks
Great info as always

Qurpiz

Nudes in profile
Nov 5, 2006
Hirvonen on his after-game interview (Ässät won 4-3 SO, Hirvonen 0+0, no goal on his shootout attempt):

Found out from the jumbotron, feels good. Wants to conquer the Hockey city of Toronto (sounds way more dramatic than it should). Been watching the drafts since kid, very excited

Last edited:
Reactions: Morgs and Bearr

Nooodles

May 7, 2010
Geszteréd
How tall is Dubas anyways? I am starting to think he has a complex about height, perhaps does not like people being taller than himself.

I wonder who's got complex, someone who's simply doing his job (as a GM of the Maple Leafs at age 34) and actually drafts players projected way better than where they were picked, or someone who's writing about other people's complex, online, from their dark basement.

Take your pick weirdo.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad