Prospect Info: 2020 2nd Rd Selection - #59 OA (via OTT) - C Roni Hirvonen (Assat) - 5'9 164

Visnovsky

Aug 20, 2010
Finland
HIFK has the last two playoff MVP's as two of their TOP-9 centers, and Alex Broadhurst, who was almost ppg in his first season in Europe.

Hirvonen will most likely play wing, atleast to start with, and will play with really good linemates - he will be dutied with PP and SH.

I am a season ticket holder for HIFK, and I can try to write about him during the season (if I just remember to...), and Niemelä, whenever I see him play.

Visnovsky

Aug 20, 2010
Finland
Roni has been a part of HIFK's checking line so far, which has worked really well in my eyes. He gets to enjoy the tougher match ups and work on his all-around game a bit more.

He has been very active on both ends of the ice, although the puck has not followed him around as of yet, he's had to push it a little while on the puck as a result of linemates that are a bit worse on the puck than him. At this point in time, he's by far the 'puck carrier' on his line.

He has very good puck skills to go with his motor (which seems to be never ending, a very good cycle player), as is evident by his solo effort in yesterday's game, where he dangled two Lukko players and almost scored (tough to score on Lassi Lehtinen, Liiga's best goaltender). He's a bit like Hyman, but with better puck skills - let's hope the trajectory keeps up.

There is room to improve on his skating, he seems sometimes to be a step behind his opponent while going head to head. But that's almost the best part, skating being his weakness - it's almost the easiest to develop and get better on.

Visnovsky

Aug 20, 2010
Finland
Roni's been continuing in the same path as which he started in - being a puckhound and making very good and poised plays throughout the games.

It's a great opportunity for him to be the 'go-to-guy' in his line, but that might change as Koivistoinen just got back from injury, and when Broadhurst is back, I suspect that Hirvonen will be set on to Koivistoinen's wing and that will be a real goldmine for him, as hes one of the best - if not the best center in Liiga.

Visnovsky

Aug 20, 2010
Finland
It has been a couple of tough games for HIFK (even though they won HPK 6-2 this week), but Hirvonen has still been able to shine in midst of all the grey matter that has been moving on the ice, wearing HIFK's jersey.

He hit the bar today and had a few brilliant shifts in the offensive zone, but as usual, had bad luck. The points will start flowing in as soon as HIFK starts to get a hang of their power play (over 40 minutes without a goal, a bit like Toronto last season, jesus christ) - still waiting for him to get his chance playing with Koivistoinen, as Broadhurst is still injured day-to-day.

Visnovsky

Aug 20, 2010
Finland
Holy smokes, has it already been almost two months since my last update? I'm sorry, I've been too invested in Toronto's great streak, that this has completely slipped my mind.

Hirvonen has been on a small decline as opposed to the last time I wrote - he has been having bad luck in the offensive zone and it's starting to show as he tries to shoot it in as soon as he gets to the zone, and almost never reaching the net (straight to the first players shinpads or stick, and out of play). I can't remember how many plays has died on his stick on the power play so far this season.

It has been pretty frustrating to watch at times, but he's a young player, and these kind of streaks are bound to happen.

I do like the line he's on, all of them play a grinding style and that has developed his cycling game a bit - at which he was already good at.

Hoping he turns a new leaf over at the WJC and comes back to HIFK, dominating (as he should at the world junior level).

Cams

May 27, 2008
Windsor, ON
@Visnovsky How is Liiga as a development league for guys like Hirvonen? I know most of the young guys from Finland and Sweden too tend to stay there a few years after their draft years. It seems point totals aren't the story to see how they are developing especially up front.

Sounds like Niemela is the real deal......I can't see him not being a regular NHL player. Hirvonen.......hard to tell, but I've heard good reviews. Another player you don't hear much about lately is Kokkonen...I know he is too old to play in the WJC. Any updates on him?

justashadowof

Aug 15, 2020
@Visnovsky How is Liiga as a development league for guys like Hirvonen? I know most of the young guys from Finland and Sweden too tend to stay there a few years after their draft years. It seems point totals aren't the story to see how they are developing especially up front.

Sounds like Niemela is the real deal......I can't see him not being a regular NHL player. Hirvonen.......hard to tell, but I've heard good reviews. Another player you don't hear much about lately is Kokkonen...I know he is too old to play in the WJC. Any updates on him?

In my opinion, for many players it's way better than a 3rd and 4th year playing hockey on a CHL team. It's a bigger challenge. And the good ones also get the opportunity to play against their age group internationally.

Visnovsky

Aug 20, 2010
Finland

For Hirvonen, Liiga is the perfect place for him to hone on his skills and deficiencies - the hockey played here is very grindy in style, which plays to Hirvonen's strengths.

I would say that the biggest hurdle for Hirvonen will be his skating and overall hockey IQ (can't teach that, but the latter can just be a case of homerism as well, as I am a big HIFK fan and tend to be a bit more harsh against players in my team).

Over the last few years in Liiga, I think the overall skill level has been on the rise, and many experts seem to agree (including Finlands new U20 coach, Kari Jalonen).

Very few young players are able to produce at a really high level in Liiga, but Niemelä is doing it with style - he just needs to fill out some, before we can even think about playing him in the NHL against seasoned professionals.

About Kokkonen... I have only seen him twice this season, and I can honestly say that I don't even remember him being on the ice in those two games - which would normally be a bad thing, but in his case, as he is a defensive defenceman, it is preferable that way (at least most of the time). From what I've read in the Pelicans fan forums, they've been pretty happy about him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad