Rumor: 2020-21 Trade Rumours and FA thread Part IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Metallo

NWOBHM forever \m/
Feb 14, 2010
Québec, QC
Jonas Johansson...

That´s exactly what happens when you shit the bed regarding your Backup-Goalie.
First mistake: Trust your current Backup when he tells you he is "good to go".
That’s on the medical staff IMO.
Second mistake: Don´t grab a reliable third guy in chase your No. 2 goes down (everyone saw the writting on the wall, but here we are)
Partially the fault of our AHL and goalie coach that gave Miska good reviews.
Third mistake: Give the job to a guy named Hunter Miska, an AHL-Goaltender far away from being a reliable backup in the NHL at this stage. Poor guy got humilated. Congrats to our "Goalie-Coach" who should´ve seen that Miska is not ready for that.
Agree that Sakic has been way too slow to react to the situation when it came obvious that Miska couldn’t do the job.

So deal with the "Leftovers" from the table.

I don´t think a guy like Jonas Johannsson is the solution to our problem.

That´s all on Sakic this time. I love our GM, but man did he f*** up this topic.
Comments in bold.

Reactions: scottykarate

Mackinn on your girl

Jan 10, 2020
Jost should stay, and become the 4C next year after Belly leaves. He's not a 3C. Avs need a major upgrade there. Neither he, nor JTC are the answer. Perhaps Newhook is, but I'm not expecting him on the Avs for another year.
This is EXACTLY the way to go. Jost at 4C even this year with LOC and Calvert on his wings. Trade for a 3C. Stall would be good. Trade Compher somewhere and the lines are set. Could even trade Bellemare but he would be good depth to keep for a playoff run incase of injuries or someone playing poorly.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
It should be a pretty low pick (though we did send a 2nd for Reto f***ing Berra). The guy seems to have pretty bad numbers but I’d like to see how he is on a team that isn’t a dumpster fire. Gotta try something, there aren’t many options now that Raanta, Kuemper and Bernier are all injured.
Give me Berra over JJ 12 times out of 10. Berra sucked but was at least near NHL level.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
Give me Berra over JJ 12 times out of 10. Berra sucked but was at least near NHL level.
In the time Berra spent in the Avs organization he was statistically the best Avs goaltender by a rather large margin.

The issue with Berra was that he wasn’t available. Burkie didn’t want to trade him at all. Yet Roy/Allaire wanted him badly so in order to get him they had to overpay. Then with Berra being a UFA his agent obviously knew that the Avs overpaid to get him and weren’t going to let him walk for free so they milked the Avs for more money than he was worth.

Reto Berra was a low end NHL back up/High end 3rd stringer who simply cost too much both in assets to acquire and in cap hit.

Reactions: The Abusement Park

AvalancheSpeedsters

Aug 2, 2005
Kamloops, BC
Me:
upload_2021-3-20_8-25-5.jpeg

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
In the time Berra spent in the Avs organization he was statistically the best Avs goaltender by a rather large margin.

The issue with Berra was that he wasn’t available. Burkie didn’t want to trade him at all. Yet Roy/Allaire wanted him badly so in order to get him they had to overpay. Then with Berra being a UFA his agent obviously knew that the Avs overpaid to get him and weren’t going to let him walk for free so they milked the Avs for more money than he was worth.

Reto Berra was a low end NHL back up/High end 3rd stringer who simply cost too much both in assets to acquire and in cap hit.
Scored a ****ing goal, though.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
It’s pretty ridiculous to be excited at getting JJ, but I am. Anything but Miska.

I'm not. It's a cheap way out while waiting for Francouz to come back and that's where the big mistake is.

Like @henchman24 said in another trade, Francouz has one decent start in the last year. On top of that he's 30 and just had 2 quite severe injuries back to back. We CAN'T rely on him...expecially after last year's playoffs.

JH21

Oct 20, 2019
This is EXACTLY the way to go. Jost at 4C even this year with LOC and Calvert on his wings. Trade for a 3C. Stall would be good. Trade Compher somewhere and the lines are set. Could even trade Bellemare but he would be good depth to keep for a playoff run incase of injuries or someone playing poorly.

Bellmare is a team leader. The guys love him and he is perfect for 4C.

You guys really want to destroy team chemistry.

Mackinn on your girl

Jan 10, 2020
Bellmare is a team leader. The guys love him and he is perfect for 4C.

You guys really want to destroy team chemistry.
Icing the best team that you can doesn't destroy chemistry. All the guys I mentioned have played together other than getting a new 3C which is high on the priority list (I assume). I don't think that we should trade Bellemare. Just saying it would be an option. Having that one extra very capable player even allows them to start cycling guys out for rests. I like him on the team but with his age and the way he has slowed down I think he has been passed by other players for effectiveness. I don't think he would bring back enough in a trade to warrant getting rid of him unless we made a big upgrade elsewhere and needed that cap space. Again. Not calling for his head or anything I just like the hard working line of Calvert - Jost - LOC

Reactions: cinchronicity

flyfysher

Mar 21, 2012
I'm not. It's a cheap way out while waiting for Francouz to come back and that's where the big mistake is.

Like @henchman24 said in another trade, Francouz has one decent start in the last year. On top of that he's 30 and just had 2 quite severe injuries back to back. We CAN'T rely on him...expecially after last year's playoffs.

Not that I disagree but the trade is more revealing how Sakic and his management team tend to operate since Roy left. Yes, they acknowledged the G situation wasn’t tenable. But Sakic isn’t willing to overpay in trade leading up to the deadline or in signing a FA. He wants to maintain cap control at all costs and wouldn’t let himself be dictated to by circumstance or need. When I read it was the Sabres’ backup, I thought to myself I should have seen that one coming.

1. low cost and little impact on the cap;
2. low risk;
3. won’t impact the entry draft;
4. perhaps underestimated given his prior injury, lack of development and playing behind the Sabres’ D;
5. if it works then he looks like a genius.

Reactions: Gabe MacAntanen

Metallo

NWOBHM forever \m/
Feb 14, 2010
Québec, QC

I don’t disagree. I’m just unreasonably giddy. Blame Miska.

Last edited:

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
Rinne is one of the two players (with Josi) that the Preds won't trade. Literally everyone else is available.
I know it's a pipe dream. He wants to retire as a Pred. And I have huge respect for that, 1 club men regardless of sport are always very highly regarded and not that common.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad