Rumor: 2020-21 Trade Rumours and FA thread Part IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019
I wonder if the Avs are going to avoid trading draft picks at the deadline.

They’re already down to only 4 picks this year. Maybe they’ll look to ship out a prospect, or two instead.

Reactions: Bill Peckerskull

Barklez

Bednar Fanboy
Mar 27, 2011
BC
Between Kaut, Bowers and Timmins, there are enough prospects here that have no clear path to the team that will make nice trade pieces, I don't think we need to move picks.

Calvert, Bellemare, and EJ say hi and are wondering why you’ve forgotten about them.

If anything, now is the time to hold on to the prospects that are nearing making the jump and to spend picks on rentals/short term assets.

For all of the complaining we do around here about the Avs’ piss poor drafting outside of the top10 we sure do covet our late round picks, as if they’ve ever been a valuable asset.

Who cares if we draft 2-3 guys who won’t ever make an impact with the Avs this year vs the usual 6-7?

Edited: grammar

Last edited:

John Mandalorian

2022 Avs: The First Dance
Nov 29, 2018
Calvert, Bellemare, and EJ say hi and are wondering why you’ve forgotten about them.

If anything, now is the time to hold onto the prospects that are nearing making the jump and to spend picks on rentals/short term assets.

For all of the complaining we do around here about the Avs’ piss poor drafting outside of the top10 we sure do covet our late round picks, as if they’ve ever been a valuable asset.

Who cares if we draft 2-3 guys who won’t ever make an impact with the Avs this year vs the usual 6-7?

Yes. When the summer of 2023 comes, players like Kaut and Bowers will be more important.

Muffin

Avalanche Flavoured
Aug 14, 2009
Edmonton
I think Timmins is going to get shipped out at the deadline, there's already a logjam on defense and Barron and Helleson are on their way.

Reactions: hughdreamz

Richard Doll

Feb 18, 2020
Saint Albans, Vermont

If anything, now is the time to hold on to the prospects that are nearing making the jump and to spend picks on rentals/short term assets.

Edited: grammar

I should rephrase.

I personally agree with you, in fact they should be getting some time in now.

I just don't think they will be given a legit shot which is why I say no clear path.

They don't have a clear path because I don't think they will be really given one.

John Mandalorian

Nov 29, 2018
I should rephrase.

I personally agree with you, in fact they should be getting some time in now.

I just don't think they will be given a legit shot which is why I say no clear path.

They don't have a clear path because I don't think they will be really given one.

Think about the salary framework as of 2023. You’ll have 9296 at 25-30. You’ll have the defensive top 4 at 25-30. Then you’ll have goalies at 5-7.

So let’s just say 63 million. If the cap moves up 3 million, which seems realistic, we’re at 22 ish million of cap space to spread our over the bottom 9 and bottom pairing.

So how do you spend that 22 million? It would be smart to focus on 2C and 3C. Maybe Newhook fills one of them?

Richard88

John 3:16
Jun 29, 2019
I think Timmins is going to get shipped out at the deadline, there's already a logjam on defense and Barron and Helleson are on their way.
Agree. His most useful time for this team is this season and next on cheap caphits and before Barron and Helleson join, but if he's below MacD on the depth chart now it makes sense to entertain offers for him.

That said, if Johnson is out for the season I could envisage Sakic being reluctant to weaken his RHD depth by moving Timmins. If he's the key piece in getting a legitimately good 3C though I think you do it.

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
I wonder if the Avs are going to avoid trading draft picks at the deadline.

They’re already down to only 4 picks this year. Maybe they’ll look to ship out a prospect, or two instead.
I’m a broken record here, but trade every pick in this draft for all I care. With the pandemic there is no way they have been able to scout effectively. I value the existing prospects and subsequent year’s draft picks much more.

Peter Peckerwood

Aug 6, 2020
9764 Jeopardy Lane
I’m a broken record here, but trade every pick in this draft for all I care. With the pandemic there is no way they have been able to scout effectively. I value the existing prospects and subsequent year’s draft picks much more.

Yeah, same. We have some major logjams already as has been said, and Sakic seems pretty dang shrewd at filling a roster out while maintaining his cap structure and farm system. This is nut-cuttin' time and players are starting to be more vocal about wanting off of some of these teams with inept ownership and management.
I know that the GMs are still a part of the good old boys club, but this flat cap time may be the best chance to make some blockbuster-ish moves. If you can get an elite piece, this is the best time to use those picks and prospects into more than you might normally get.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
I’m the opposite. I want them to load up on mid-late round picks. You’re right that scouting has been impacted, but because of this you’re going to find so many steals later in the draft because those studs haven’t properly been scouted.

Teams like Montreal are going to find a few gems in this draft.

John Mandalorian

Nov 29, 2018
I’m the opposite. I want them to load up on mid-late round picks. You’re right that scouting has been impacted, but because of this you’re going to find so many steals later in the draft because those studs haven’t properly been scouted.

Do you have confidence they won’t be wasted? The Avs track record isn’t exactly the best in this range.

Peter Peckerwood

Aug 6, 2020
9764 Jeopardy Lane

There's likely some gems all over the board in my clueless opinion. So, I sorta agree with you. I'd rather have those 2 2nds than the 1st. Maybe. I don't remember where those picks were.

John Mandalorian

Nov 29, 2018
No I don’t have much confidence. I was more so talking about how this is the draft of all drafts to accumulate picks.

So you think the possibility of getting lucky is enough of a reason for this strategy?

That seems to be the range where they draft the son of everyone who played for the Avs in the 90s.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
So you think the possibility of getting lucky is enough of a reason for this strategy?

That seems to be the range where they draft the son of everyone who played for the Avs in the 90s.
Absolutely. This draft will be more about luck than any other draft.

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle

In that case get one coming back if you trade the 1st.

There is a bit of precedent: Sakic got a conditional pick for not resigning Brassard.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad