Rumor: 2020-21 Trade Rumours and FA Part VII: Post-Trade Deadline

Status
Not open for further replies.

John Mandalorian

2022 Avs: The First Dance
Nov 29, 2018
Or how about moving EJ now and using $6m on a top 6 forward for 2 years and having Donskoi/Compher/Graves contracts as placeholders for Mackinnon's raise...

EJ has leverage. The middle ground seems obvious though. EJ agrees to waive but Sakic gives him an assurance he won't be traded.

Reactions: GirardSpinorama

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
What are the EJ scenarios?

1. He comes back for the playoffs, is good and stays healthy and the Avs can move him in a deal in the off-season with maybe sweeteners? If he waives for a California team.
2. He goes in and out of the lineup during the playoffs, playing well, but gets "hurt" again in the playoffs for LTIR all year next year?
3. Stays on LTIR for the playoffs unless absolutely needed, without doubt, and give him Jonathan Toews disease for next season's LTIR?
4. He stays, plays some in the playoffs and have a repeat of this season with LTIR because he gets hurt again next year?

I dunno, I can't see him not being on IR next season at some point and us using the relief.

Do we think if we come up short, but he stays healthy in the playoffs, he'd waive for a California team? Or is waiving only an option if we win the SC.
You’re paying at least a 1st to trade him.

Richard88

John 3:16
Jun 29, 2019
I know I'm on the unpopular side here... just buy EJ out. If he wants to come back, he can re-sign for a million per. The savings of $4m the next two years on a bottom pairing defenseman it sorely needed to pay for the raises coming up.
Do buyout payments count against escrow? If not there's actually a chance that he could make more money from a buyout ($2m x 4) and $1m x 1-2 year deal than he would with his $6m x 2 deal.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Do buyout payments count against escrow? If not there's actually a chance that he could make more money from a buyout ($2m x 4) and $1m x 1-2 year deal than he would with his $6m x 2 deal.
Yup they get counted in the payments to players... so escrow is still there. But the decreasing escrow beyond his deal right now would lessen the loss.

Reactions: Richard88

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
I know I'm on the unpopular side here... just buy EJ out. If he wants to come back, he can re-sign for a million per. The savings of $4m the next two years on a bottom pairing defenseman it sorely needed to pay for the raises coming up.

You're only saving $3M if you buy him out and re-sign him for a $1M later though.

Either way, it's hard to see Joe adding $2M in dead cap space through 2024-25. He's already talking about how they'll need cheap contracts in 2021-22. They'll have even more cap issues after MacKinnon, Makar, and Grubauer's raise.

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
He contracts eczema and it frees up his all of $6M both years. It will cost the Kroenke's an extra $4Million but it will be their way of making up for all the Milo's tea I buy from them.

Last edited:

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC
I still think Joe has a unique opportunity with Seattle if Francis is willing to play ball.

Graves/Donskoi/whoever + 1st + Bowers for Seattle to take EJ and trade him back at 50% retained. Seattle gets a 1st they wouldn't have gotten otherwise for $3 mil/2 yrs.

Reactions: AvsCOL

Perratrooper

May 26, 2016
Alberta
I still think Joe has a unique opportunity with Seattle if Francis is willing to play ball.

Graves/Donskoi/whoever + 1st + Bowers for Seattle to take EJ and trade him back at 50% retained. Seattle gets a 1st they wouldn't have gotten otherwise for $3 mil/2 yrs.

Cap circumvention, would not be allowed.

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC
Cap circumvention, would not be allowed.

I doubt they'd see that as cap circumvention, Seattle is allowed to draft a player and trade them to whoever they'd like. It's no different than teams getting creative to get 75% retained this year.

Reactions: Richard88

John Mandalorian

2022 Avs: The First Dance
Nov 29, 2018

I think someone said you’d have to wait a year for EJ to come back. This seems like a lot of effort for minimal benefit. If you’re going to trade all this for someone to take EJ, you can probably do it with other teams in the off-season.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
What should we do with Jost in the offseason? Should we try to sign him long term at a reasonable cap hit?

AvsCOL

Jul 16, 2013
This isn't serious but perhaps a slightly cheaper version of Laughton's contract (5 X 3M)

I’d have no issue with the Nichushkin deal, but 3 years. 3 x $2.5-3 mil would be awesome.

Not a big fan of committing to term on third liners, it’s very rare that it actually works out. Generally they’re good, but replaceable, and having term kind of hurts you there.

Reactions: Gabe MacAntanen

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC
I think someone said you’d have to wait a year for EJ to come back. This seems like a lot of effort for minimal benefit. If you’re going to trade all this for someone to take EJ, you can probably do it with other teams in the off-season.

That’s only in trades and retaining, I’m almost positive that Seattle can trade selected players right away. IIRC when Vegas took Methot from Ottawa they were willing to trade him back to them, but asked for a 1st.

A big part of this is getting EJ back, because he’s easily worth $3 mil for what he brings to this team. So it would cost a 1st + Bowers to keep EJ on the team without his cap being a detriment.

nammerus

Mar 9, 2003
Visit site
I’d have no issue with the Nichushkin deal, but 3 years. 3 x $2.5-3 mil would be awesome.

Not a big fan of committing to term on third liners, it’s very rare that it actually works out. Generally they’re good, but replaceable, and having term kind of hurts you there.

Yep. You end up with anchors like JTC.

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005
As much as I'd like to see the Condor come back and play every game remaining on his contract, I know that is impossible. I'm going to really miss him around the team when he is gone or retired. I've missed him this season.

That being said, I really would like to see him get some games in these playoffs, win a cup, and then move into the sunset on a nice career ending LTIR allowing him to start tinkering with his next career, be it in horses or hockey.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
Why the **** does anyone want to sign Tyson Jost long term? He has 12 points in 41 games. He's played hard this season, no doubt. But there is zero ****ing offense there. He's a 4th line player through and through and he's not nearly as good defensively or on the forecheck as someone like Nichushkin to warrant a long deal.

The absolute highest I'd be willing to go with Jost is 1.5M.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad