Rumor: 2020-21 Trade Rumours and FA Part VII: Post-Trade Deadline

Status
Not open for further replies.

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC
He wouldn't be ideal, but for the sake of conversation would Markstrom be an option? Calgary might regret signing him to that deal if they're going to rebuild so he might be pretty cheap to acquire. May as well just sign Grubauer to 6x6 though if we're gonna go that high in AAV, though Markstrom would effectively be 6x5 instead of 6x6.

My initial thought would be Grubs, but Markstrom has a track record of being a starter with a heavy workload. It's a hard choice, i'd probably just sign Grubs unless we could convince Calgary to retain 500k.

Richard88

John 3:16
Jun 29, 2019
I feel like this years draft is going to be a crapshoot with how few games were played and how tough it was to scout players. For all we know, that 29-32 could end up being a spectacular player that just didn't get scouted.
An athletic 6'6'' goalie with solid positioning and great stats this year (11-0-0, 1.45 GAA, .942 sv%) seems as good as any bet to be great value with a late 1st pick.

Go19

Jun 21, 2019
Good point on the offers. You might be right that Timmins and Jost's agents could push for higher AAV's, but bringing other teams into the mix would be a very good way to alienate them with the Avs front office, and given that the Avs control those contracts for another 3-4 years it wouldn't be beyond the realm of possibility for Sakic to jettison them to Buffalo or some other team where they might get more money but would be in a terrible situation hockey-wise.

There's something to be said about staying on a team with good management, a great lockerroom, and a good coach who's system often inflates analytics for players, not to mention that the team is a high-profile team right now and likely to go far in the playoffs which can increase a players visibility and value long-term (ie. "playoff proven").

As for Compher and Johnson, yes I agree that ideally at least one (or both) of them are moved and that $9.5m cap space can be invested more effectively elsewhere on the roster. Offseason rosters are complete guess-work at this stage, particularly as we don't know exactly what Seattle's plan is and that can change the approach quite drastically.
If I'm Timmins agent I have to get the biggest and best contract from anywhere - it could be his last.

I could see Jost falling under the good management spell you outlined - but he should be pushing the envelope a bunch higher than 1.6 IMO

So is Buffalo like the Eastern Front?

Reactions: Richard88

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019
Calvert, PEB, Saad, Soda, Nemeth, Dub, Liam and the Expansion Pick will all be going. JTC should get bought out. EJ might get a case of Hossa’s Disease and Frank might not get healthy.

Bednar better be willing to try Newhook, Kaut, Bowers and Timmins in the line up or we’re going to have an ugly ass lower roster full of AHL level slugs.

A lot of our depth has been pretty bad this year anyways.

The top players playing like stars is really what’s elevated the Avs this year.

Andrew Wiggin

Feb 8, 2020
I'm still unhappy that Dallas traded up to draft Oettinger in 2017 and we didn't. It really should have been us, he was the best goalie prospect in that draft and he fell to #26... it made so much sense for us to do it at the time but we didn't.

If we did we'd have a good young starter on ELC, something we never had.
What we were hoping for with Annunen at one point

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
A lot of our depth has been pretty bad this year anyways.

The top players playing like stars is really what’s elevated the Avs this year.
The 3rd line has been great and healthy the 4th line is pretty good.

Running slugs like Dries and Middleton out is the problem when it would have been better to let the prospects get their feet wet and perform as poorly as the AHLers.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
Mrazek has played four 40+ game seasons.
Ullmark's track record is the same as Grubs, outside of this year.

Grubuaer has the same injury concerns as the other two.
Ullmark's injury history is worse than Grubauer's. He's always hurt. Don't want anything to do with him.

John Mandalorian

2022 Avs: The First Dance
Nov 29, 2018
I've seen people talking about buying out EJ and Compher. Does anyone have a ball park idea what the cap hit would be in, say, 23/24 if both were buyouts?

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
I've seen people talking about buying out EJ and Compher. Does anyone have a ball park idea what the cap hit would be in, say, 23/24 if both were buyouts?
I think around 3.5-4mil in total.

Edit: After looking it up it would be 2.5mil from 22-23 till 25-26.

Andrew Wiggin

Feb 8, 2020
I don't know that you have to with Compher if he is included in a bigger trade or the Avs retain even $1M he becomes a decent bottom six option for a team with depth issues.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
EJ is simple... 2m a season for double the time left on the contract.

Compher is a bit different... buy out the contract this summer and he's 333k next season and 1.33m for the next 3 seasons.

Reactions: Gabe MacAntanen

Gatorbait19

Apr 2, 2019
There’s a 0% chance we buyout EJ or JTC and less than 0% we buyout both.

JTC seems pretty simple/obvious - we trade him in a Cole-like deal where we get back a worse player with smaller/shorter contract. Maybe we include a pick depending on the contract coming back.

EJ is a much different and difficult to navigate given the cap hit and history with the org. But there’s no way Joe will pay the continuing cap hit from an EJ buyout.

If Joe needs the space EJ is occupying, he would likely trade EJ in again in similar to Cole where we get a worse player but smaller/shorter contract back (but would definitely have to add a pick/prospect here).

In reality though i think we all should realize EJ is going nowhere for 2021-22. Maybe he doesn’t play the final season of his deal, but he’s definitely a part of the team next year.

hughdreamz

Jun 24, 2006
Michigan
Even if Kadri improves, I would look to ship him out in the off season. He’s still a strong player, but becoming much more of a skilled 3C rather than a productive 2C. He had a hot moment earlier this year, but has been slow since and started off the year very sluggish. Unless Newhook is a revelation he won’t be ready for the 2C job next year either. I would look at Nugent-Hopkins or Danault in the off season.

NOTENOUGHJTCGOALS

Feb 28, 2006
If I'm Timmins agent I have to get the biggest and best contract from anywhere - it could be his last.

I could see Jost falling under the good management spell you outlined - but he should be pushing the envelope a bunch higher than 1.6 IMO

So is Buffalo like the Eastern Front?

If other teams are paying attention they'll see the amount of waiver quality bodies that the Avs have preferred to play 8 minutes a night rather than put Timmins in the lineup.

I don't think anyone offers him a contract.

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
There’s a 0% chance we buyout EJ or JTC and less than 0% we buyout both.

JTC seems pretty simple/obvious - we trade him in a Cole-like deal where we get back a worse player with smaller/shorter contract. Maybe we include a pick depending on the contract coming back.
Given the cap crunch the market for that will be depressed. To take on $7M of liability over two years they’d want at least a 2nd straight up, which the Avs are lacking. If a the buyer intended to Orpik him take a 3rd straight. Meanwhile, just buying him out frees up $3.166M next season, and $2.166M 22-23 and when it becomes a liability in 23-24 and 24-25 it’s still only $1.33M in the red where the cap will have probably risen or if it is still tight Sakic will have to sell vets on taking below market for the chanc at a Cup.

Peter Peckerwood

Aug 6, 2020
9764 Jeopardy Lane
What are the EJ scenarios?

1. He comes back for the playoffs, is good and stays healthy and the Avs can move him in a deal in the off-season with maybe sweeteners? If he waives for a California team.
2. He goes in and out of the lineup during the playoffs, playing well, but gets "hurt" again in the playoffs for LTIR all year next year?
3. Stays on LTIR for the playoffs unless absolutely needed, without doubt, and give him Jonathan Toews disease for next season's LTIR?
4. He stays, plays some in the playoffs and have a repeat of this season with LTIR because he gets hurt again next year?

I dunno, I can't see him not being on IR next season at some point and us using the relief.

Do we think if we come up short, but he stays healthy in the playoffs, he'd waive for a California team? Or is waiving only an option if we win the SC.

Belgican

Mar 8, 2002
Visit site
What are the EJ scenarios?

1. He comes back for the playoffs, is good and stays healthy and the Avs can move him in a deal in the off-season with maybe sweeteners?
2. He goes in and out of the lineup during the playoffs, playing well, but gets "hurt" again in the playoffs for LTIR all year next year?
3. Stays on LTIR for the playoffs unless absolutely needed, without doubt, and give him Jonathan Toews disease for next season's LTIR?
4. He stays, plays some in the playoffs and have a repeat of this season with LTIR because he gets hurt again next year?

I dunno, I can't see him not being on IR next season at some point and us using the relief.

Probably 5, plays in the playoffs and stays 2 more years

Peter Peckerwood

Aug 6, 2020
9764 Jeopardy Lane
Probably 5, plays in the playoffs and stays 2 more years

Maybe he's had his run of bad luck with the injuries and "injuries." Guess we'll see.

I'm not saying he wasn't injured this year. The "injuries" is due to the length of time he's been out.
Maybe it is on the up and up. I've known a few people who have had knee surgery and shoulder surgery and they all said the shoulder was worse as far as recovery and rehab.

Belgican

Mar 8, 2002
Visit site
Maybe he's had his run of bad luck with the injuries and "injuries." Guess we'll see.

I'm not saying he wasn't injured this year. The "injuries" is due to the length of time he's been out.
Maybe it is on the up and up. I've known a few people who have had knee surgery and shoulder surgery and they all said the shoulder was worse as far as recovery and rehab.

I guess we will have to live with that for 2 more years was more my prediction. And I’m not even sure he will waive. Just don’t see him being bought out

milehigh11

Mar 4, 2014
Mile High State
These would be my preference:

1. Ullmark or Mrazek
2. Trade for Merzlikins
3. Islanders are up against the cap, an option may to trade away Varly if he waives his NTC to us.
4. Overpay for Grubs
5. Stopgap in Rask, Andersen, Bernier, or Raanta

Options 1-3 are contingent on the asking salary/price. I just hope Joe explores other options if Grubs wants a big payday.

What the 26 year old Driedger from Florida? As they will probably have Knight be the back up next season.

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC
What the 26 year old Driedger from Florida? As they will probably have Knight be the back up next season.

I like Driedger as a 1B option if Francouz is toast, but not as our official starter heading into the season.

Richard88

John 3:16
Jun 29, 2019
EJ’s contract is Mackinnon’s future pay raise already built into the payroll structure. So if EJ is healthy just let him play out his contract and have the money for Mackinnon there when it’s needed.
Or how about moving EJ now and using $6m on a top 6 forward for 2 years and having Donskoi/Compher/Graves contracts as placeholders for Mackinnon's raise...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad