Rumor: 2020-21 Trade Rumours and FA Part VII: Post-Trade Deadline

Status
Not open for further replies.

Richard88

John 3:16
Jun 29, 2019
I agree, for optics and cap reasons you would have to trade Kadri. Also that allows you to recoup value on Kadri before he walks the next year for nothing. Hopefully, Newhook provides more offense than Jost on 3C to make up for some of the production because while Danault is more well rounded than Kadri he probably won't score as much.
I guess technically they could trade Graves and/or Compher instead of Kadri to try to squeeze Danault in. If they could get a replacement PKing Dman (resigning Nemeth for instance) then it could work well. The catch is whether Danault would agree to sign in Colorado even with Kadri still on the team though.

I think one way or another Graves is gone. Two separate times Bednar talked about value matching price. When they traded for Nemeth, he compared him a lot to Graves. Then on a separate occasion he commented about how the cost for adding players has to make sense for what they provide.

Its inference sure, but you can easily see how they're focused on the price tag for Nemeth compared to the price tag for Graves for doing similar things.

I could be wrong, of course, but if they sign Nemeth early in the offseason, its wait and see on Graves. Either Seattle takes him tgen, if not, they trade him.
If Johnson sticks around then it would probably make sense to move Graves and replace him with a cheaper PKing guy, as it would be hard to justify having over $9m on the 3rd pairing with Graves and Johnson. If Johnson gets moved somehow though then having Graves and Timmins/other RHD on the 3rd pairing would be more financially viable.

Richard88

Jun 29, 2019
@Go19
In a defensemen strapped league - Timmons is going to get offers higher than 1M - that wouldn't even cost the signing team a draft pick. As a GM I take a flyer on that with Timmons.

Same with Jost - now that he has rehabilitated to some degree a 1.6M contract is only a 3rd round and if I'm a GM elsewhere I go up to the 2M and just give up a 3rd for a former 10OA. In fact he may be worth a second and if I have cap room I can go higher than 2M.

Also that second line you have listed - I'm not sure how defensively responsible Kaut and Bura are to get those 2nd line minutes and while Danault may be great 2 way I don't know if he can cover for both. Kaut right now is a JAG. He has to show he's capable of playing well two ways. I don't know that I've seen that in the NHL yet. In fact Kaut, Newhook and Bowers are a lot of unproven players in that lineup.

I get that this is a rough draft starting point with good ideas - but in the end JT Compher and 3.5M have to go. And probably Graves or EJ.
Good point on the offers. You might be right that Timmins and Jost's agents could push for higher AAV's, but bringing other teams into the mix would be a very good way to alienate them with the Avs front office, and given that the Avs control those contracts for another 3-4 years it wouldn't be beyond the realm of possibility for Sakic to jettison them to Buffalo or some other team where they might get more money but would be in a terrible situation hockey-wise.

There's something to be said about staying on a team with good management, a great lockerroom, and a good coach who's system often inflates analytics for players, not to mention that the team is a high-profile team right now and likely to go far in the playoffs which can increase a players visibility and value long-term (ie. "playoff proven").

As for Compher and Johnson, yes I agree that ideally at least one (or both) of them are moved and that $9.5m cap space can be invested more effectively elsewhere on the roster. Offseason rosters are complete guess-work at this stage, particularly as we don't know exactly what Seattle's plan is and that can change the approach quite drastically.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
The RFA signings by other teams under the pick swap thresholds is always a great theory and something that I think GMs should be doing around the league.... but they never happen. Even when they clearly make sense. Jost will end up pushing towards arbitration and the Avs and him will settle before. Timmins will have to sign for his QO if he is still here.

Reactions: Richard88

Richard88

Jun 29, 2019
If the Avs somehow have cap room and the Jets don't re-sign him for some reason, I'd absolutely love to get Adam Lowry for the 3C role. He and Nuke would be a nightmare to play against.
Lowry's dad is a coach there so it's more likely that he re-signs. Copp as an RFA might be a more realistic target (via trade) if he prices himself out of Winnipeg. That would also fit the mould of Sakic's recent trades for RFA's like Toews, Burakovsky, and Grubauer.

Nov 29, 2003
Screw You Blaster
Visit site
Andrew Copp would also be a fantastic addition to the bottom 6.

Lowry's dad is a coach there so it's more likely that he re-signs. Copp as an RFA might be a more realistic target (via trade) if he prices himself out of Winnipeg. That would also fit the mould of Sakic's recent trades for RFA's like Toews, Burakovsky, and Grubauer.

I don't expect Lowry to become available or for him to test FA, but he'd look so good beside Nuke. They are both big guys that are defensively responsible and just wear other teams down. Copp would also be brilliant. Both guys were early season targets for me if the Jets had fallen out of the playoff picture.

Andrew Wiggin

Feb 8, 2020
If the go for an RFA i hope they look at Reinhart or Hertl before Coop, he'd be a good add but I like the other two for us better, assuming any of them don't work out deals.

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019
I think we’re going to see a decent amount of turnover on the roster next season.

Sakic said as much in his presser that the cap is going to be more of an issue next season. Combine that with the expansion draft and there might be 4, or 5 changes on the roster.

A youth movement at forward seems likely as that’s the cheap option. I could also see the Avs making a Thornton type add in free agency as well. An old veteran that signs for pennies so he can have a chance to chase a cup in Colorado.

Richard88

Jun 29, 2019
If the go for an RFA i hope they look at Reinhart or Hertl before Coop, he'd be a good add but I like the other two for us better, assuming any of them don't work out deals.
Hertl would take Newhook+ most likely. Reinhart I could see Sakic chasing potentially if he's available.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
I think we’re going to see a decent amount of turnover on the roster next season.

Sakic said as much in his presser that the cap is going to be more of an issue next season. Combine that with the expansion draft and there might be 4, or 5 changes on the roster.

A youth movement at forward seems likely as that’s the cheap option. I could also see the Avs making a Thornton type add in free agency as well. An old veteran that signs for pennies so he can have a chance to chase a cup in Colorado.

I know a guy.

220px-Paul_Stastny_Avalanche-2013.jpg

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
Calvert, PEB, Saad, Soda, Nemeth, Dub, Liam and the Expansion Pick will all be going. JTC should get bought out. EJ might get a case of Hossa’s Disease and Frank might not get healthy.

Bednar better be willing to try Newhook, Kaut, Bowers and Timmins in the line up or we’re going to have an ugly ass lower roster full of AHL level slugs.

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC
What's the alternative? Ullmark? Trading a 1st + prospect for Merzlikins?

These would be my preference:

1. Ullmark or Mrazek
2. Trade for Merzlikins
3. Islanders are up against the cap, an option may to trade away Varly if he waives his NTC to us.
4. Overpay for Grubs
5. Stopgap in Rask, Andersen, Bernier, or Raanta

Options 1-3 are contingent on the asking salary/price. I just hope Joe explores other options if Grubs wants a big payday.

Last edited:

Richard88

Jun 29, 2019

1. Ullmark or Mrazek
2. Trade for Merzlikins
3. Islanders are up against the cap, an option may to trade away Varly if he waives his NTC to us.
4. Overpay for Grubs

Options 1-3 are contingent on the asking salary/price. I just hope Joe explores other options if Grubs wants a big payday.
He wouldn't be ideal, but for the sake of conversation would Markstrom be an option? Calgary might regret signing him to that deal if they're going to rebuild so he might be pretty cheap to acquire. May as well just sign Grubauer to 6x6 though if we're gonna go that high in AAV, though Markstrom would effectively be 6x5 instead of 6x6.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
The more I think about it, the more I think signing Grubs will be a mistake (unless the max offer is a 5x5, and even then i'm in the fence).

I'm in the same boat. The Avs ' defensive play is so good that even a guy like JoJo is having a .931 save % in 3 games this year.

Gru is decent starter but not as good as his stats are showing this year and I wouldn't want to pay him long term for those stats.

Look at the last two goalies who signed 6 X 6...Even after the first year is doesn't look good (Markstrom and Binnington).

Nov 29, 2003
Screw You Blaster
Visit site

1. Ullmark or Mrazek
2. Trade for Merzlikins
4. Overpay for Grubs

We're just going to go back to our goalie development team, the Washington Capitals.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
I'm still unhappy that Dallas traded up to draft Oettinger in 2017 and we didn't. It really should have been us, he was the best goalie prospect in that draft and he fell to #26... it made so much sense for us to do it at the time but we didn't.

If we did we'd have a good young starter on ELC, something we never had.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta

1. Ullmark or Mrazek
2. Trade for Merzlikins
4. Overpay for Grubs

Ullmark and Mrazek both have ridiculous injury concerns. Don't want anything to do with either of them.

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC
Ullmark and Mrazek both have ridiculous injury concerns. Don't want anything to do with either of them.

Mrazek has played four 40+ game seasons.
Ullmark's track record is the same as Grubs, outside of this year.

Grubuaer has the same injury concerns as the other two.

Richard88

Jun 29, 2019
I'm still unhappy that Dallas traded up to draft Oettinger in 2017 and we didn't. It really should have been us, he was the best goalie prospect in that draft and he fell to #26... it made so much sense for us to do it at the time but we didn't.

If we did we'd have a good young starter on ELC, something we never had.
They'll have an opportunity to make up for it by taking Sebastian Cossa with this years 1st. They may need to trade the 3rd to move up a few spots though if they end up in the 29-32 range as there are a few teams in the late 1st who'll also have their eyes on a high-end goalie prospect (eg. Vegas, Carolina, Edmonton, Toronto, St. Louis). Obviously Cossa wouldn't be ready for another 2-3 years, but it would be huge to have a goalie on an ELC just as Mackinnon, Newhook, and Byram's contracts kick in.

Reactions: Balthazar
Nov 29, 2003
Screw You Blaster
Visit site
They'll have an opportunity to make up for it by taking Sebastian Cossa with this years 1st. They may need to trade the 3rd to move up a few spots though if they end up in the 29-32 range as there are a few teams in the late 1st who'll also have their eyes on a high-end goalie prospect (eg. Vegas, Carolina, Edmonton, Toronto, St. Louis). Obviously Cossa wouldn't be ready for another 2-3 years, but it would be huge to have a goalie on an ELC just as Mackinnon, Newhook, and Byram's contracts kick in.

I feel like this years draft is going to be a crapshoot with how few games were played and how tough it was to scout players. For all we know, that 29-32 could end up being a spectacular player that just didn't get scouted.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad