Speculation: 2020-21 Stars Roster Speculation and Discussion Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

M88K

irreverent
May 24, 2014
Next 4 games are going to be super interesting: Blackhawks x2, Panthers, Predators then the trade deadline. With how mid the 4-6 teams are in the central maybe Nill won't sell off anyone if dallas wins say 3 of those games. That would require them stringing wins together which Dallas seems allergic to doing
Nill isn't going to sell anyone anyway.
He's got his ready made "injuries" excuse, him and rick are going to get another year to piss away

Ghost of Kyiv

Wanted Dead and Alive
Feb 1, 2015
Schrödinger's Box
The team is doing cap gymnastics so they can fit Bishop in, when he's able to return.
And even with that, they're going to have to get creative.

People will have to explain to me how this is a justification for sending down Kero over Dowling then.

I've done the math, it doesn't make any difference which one is sent down today. We're using LTIR space right now, and that cant be banked like normal cap space. This transaction is meaningless in that context.

Reactions: Hinterland

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
I think this is more about trade deadline flexibility then the salary cap component.

You waive him now so you know you can move him up and down next week should transactions necessitate such a move. His chances of getting claimed today are pretty low. Next week after the cellar dwellers sell off their depth guys, his chances of getting claimed would be a bit higher as teams would literally just need warm bodies at that point.

Good point.

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
People will have to explain to me how this is a justification for sending down Kero over Dowling then.

I've done the math, it doesn't make any difference which one is sent down today. We're using LTIR space right now, and that cant be banked like normal cap space. This transaction is meaningless in that context.

This is what I meant. Timing didn't seem to make sense to me since they need Centers and just could have sent down Dowling. But you're right it could be more difficult to sneak Kero through waivers later. Probably why they did it now.

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
There is no risk. Nobody is picking up Tanner Kero . He's a career AHL player who hadn't seen NHL action in 3 years prior to this season. Not to mention Dowling and Keros production is pretty much identical this year.

You're comparing apples and bananas here. Kero is the better player and actually by a mile. Dowling does get quality line mates, many offensive zone starts and even PP-time. Kero gets none of it. Also, Kero is way more solid and way better against the puck. Dowling is the worst player in the Stars system. It's beyond me how this guy still gets ice time in the NHL. He's brutal. I'd take anyone over him. There's nothing he's good at. He can't score, can't shoot, can't hold onto pucks, can't pass, can't defend, can't hit, can't win puck or board battles, can't win faceoffs. He can skate okayish I guess but that alone shouldn't be enough to play in the NHL.

Kero isn't a sensation either but he's proven to be a decent warm body and 4th line fill in. Not much offense and could be tougher but he's got an okayish skillset and is definitely solid with the puck and good against it. Can PK as well. So timing seemed odd to waive him but Abilify probably explained why the Stars did it now.

Last edited:

Magic Mittens

Nov 2, 2006
Calgary
Nill isn't going to sell anyone anyway.
He's got his ready made "injuries" excuse, him and rick are going to get another year to piss away

Nill is on autopilot for the rest of the season. He’s got his deadline phrase already set with we’re adding Seguin, Bishop and even Rads and that’s like making a huge splash....

Then he’s got his response for missing the playoffs if it happens with injuries (like you said), covid and the storm even

Pretty easy job right now

Kcb12345

Jun 6, 2017
Nill is on autopilot for the rest of the season. He’s got his deadline phrase already set with we’re adding Seguin, Bishop and even Rads and that’s like making a huge splash....

Then he’s got his response for missing the playoffs if it happens with injuries (like you said), covid and the storm even

Pretty easy job right now

It's sad how predictable and accurate this is/will be. I don't even see him moving our UFAs at the deadline.

Reactions: Magic Mittens

starsfan86

Sep 27, 2006
It's sad how predictable and accurate this is/will be. I don't even see him moving our UFAs at the deadline.
The first thing he will say when asked about Seguin and Bishop will be his classic “We’re excited” line

BfantZ

Jun 22, 2017
Ya , not really sure what you guys want him to do though . Everyone seems to agree that he should keep things fairly intact for a run next season . Nill is not allowed to think that though ? What would you rather him say ?

Kcb12345

Jun 6, 2017
Ya , not really sure what you guys want him to do though . Everyone seems to agree that he should keep things fairly intact for a run next season . Nill is not allowed to think that though ? What would you rather him say ?

Does everyone think this though? I mean things obviously will stay in intact but this team absolutely needs some big changes. Still need 1 more top 6 forward at least to be a legit contender, and the bottom 6 needs more offensive talent as well.

Reactions: atticus ross

FirstRowUpperDeck

May 20, 2014
Arlington, TX
Yes, but on this and another thread, the trade deadline isn't about remaking your team by, say, trading Lindell for an equally talented forward. It's about sacrificing future assets to add to your weakest areas, which again, for us, would be scoring forward.

And, just a few weeks ago, I read an article about how total rebuilds aren't really necessary or effective, contrary to what the average fan wants.

And, just look at our history. Gainey built a cup winner in a few seasons, with Verbeek, Belfour, Hull, as UFA. For additions by trade, it was Guy, Zubov (steal!), Sydor, Skruds, and Keane. 8 out of 20 or about a third of the players, probably two each over three seasons.

If you think this version is in better shape, with Seguin and Bishop coming back, then it should only take 3-6 additions, maybe over 1-2 years instead of 3-4 because of the team age. The first three were UFA, which is less likely to happen now. Nill has had two "big steal" trades, and hopefully he is due for another one in this off season.

serp

Jan 17, 2016
Does everyone think this though? I mean things obviously will stay in intact but this team absolutely needs some big changes. Still need 1 more top 6 forward at least to be a legit contender, and the bottom 6 needs more offensive talent as well.

I don't know fully healthy this roster is absolutely fine. Won't happen this year but next year a top 6 of Hintz , Seguin , Pavelski , Robertson , Gurianov and Radulov is absolutely fine. Put Benn on a checking line in the Comeau/Cogliano role and you're good.

Reactions: Bfantz

Ghost of Kyiv

Wanted Dead and Alive
Feb 1, 2015
Schrödinger's Box
I don't know fully healthy this roster is absolutely fine. Won't happen this year but next year a top 6 of Hintz , Seguin , Pavelski , Robertson , Gurianov and Radulov is absolutely fine. Put Benn on a checking line in the Comeau/Cogliano role and you're good.

I guess I might be splitting hairs here, but I don't really see that team being a contender. Maybe like 6th place in the conference. I too see a need for upgrades.

serp

Jan 17, 2016
I guess I might be splitting hairs here, but I don't really see that team being a contender. Maybe like 6th place in the conference. I too see a need for upgrades.

This team will allways have to rely on their defeseman to create. They just need a somewhat competent forward core that can finish what they create. This year that just isn't there because of injuries.

BfantZ

Jun 22, 2017
Shouldn’t say everyone but it seemed as though the consensus was to forget this season happened . I agree a top 6 fwd would definitely help , but it’s not as easy as grabbing one off the shelf . Especially at the tdl , your either trading for a rental or you’re over paying . Even if we trade Lindell , we are not the only team with a Dman like Lindell available .

Ghost of Kyiv

Wanted Dead and Alive
Feb 1, 2015
Schrödinger's Box
This team will allways have to rely on their defeseman to create. They just need a somewhat competent forward core that can finish what they create. This year that just isn't there because of injuries.

I think the best play is to bet that both Heiskanen and Klingberg can elevate the play of more average defensemen.

Trade Lindell for an equivalent forward, re-sign Oleksiak and bring in a stop gap D to pair with Klingberg until Harley is ready for prime time. That sets up an opportunity where Dallas can come at teams with wave after wave after wave of attack.

BfantZ

Jun 22, 2017
If you guys want him to trade Harley or the 1st round pick this year that’s about the only way your getting anything of any significance back . you will prob have to throw in faksa or another contract to make cap work too .

Ghost of Kyiv

Wanted Dead and Alive
Feb 1, 2015
Schrödinger's Box
If you guys want him to trade Harley or the 1st round pick this year that’s about the only way your getting anything of any significance back . you will prob have to throw in faksa or another contract to make cap work too .

Trading top prospects and 1st round picks at the deadline is a terrible idea for anybody other then true contenders.

serp

Jan 17, 2016
I think the best play is to bet that both Heiskanen and Klingberg can elevate the play of more average defensemen.

Trade Lindell for an equivalent forward, re-sign Oleksiak and bring in a stop gap D to pair with Klingberg until Harley is ready for prime time. That sets up an opportunity where Dallas can come at teams with wave after wave after wave of attack.

The team clearly needs someone who eats all the dumb heavy minutes so Miro and Klinger don't have to play too much PK and can create on offense . I don't know where you find someone who takes Lindell minutes and doesn't suck at it. You'd need like a Method type veteran but one who isn't constantly injured. Hard to find.

Last edited:

BfantZ

Jun 22, 2017

Other teams don’t value Lindell as much as he’s worth to the stars though . Your not gonna get anything great for him alone .

Ghost of Kyiv

Wanted Dead and Alive
Feb 1, 2015
Schrödinger's Box
The team clearly needs someone who eats all the dumb heavy minutes so Miro and Klinger don't have to play too much PK and can create on offense . I don't know where you find someone who takes Lindell minutes and doesn't suck at it. You'd need like a Method type veteran but one who isn't constantly injured. Hard to find.

Oleksiak and Heiskanen have been the match up pair this year and have preformed well, Hanley and/or Pysyk can handle more then 12 minutes a night. What you'd need is a guy to play on the second pair and second unit penalty kill. Those guys are available on the market every year.

serp

Jan 17, 2016
Oleksiak and Heiskanen have been the match up pair this year and have preformed well, Hanley and/or Pysyk can handle more then 12 minutes a night. What you'd need is a guy to play on the second pair and second unit penalty kill. Those guys are available on the market every year.

I don't want Miro to be the primary PK defenseman . So if you trade Lindell you need someone who can handle that .

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad