GDT: 2020-21 season game 51 LA Kings vs Arizona Coyotes @7:00pm 5/5/21

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
I still remember when Kopitar was drafted. I remember where I was. I remember the thread on this board from that day.

I can't believe that was 16 years ago.

On that day, who could've thought that a decade and a half later he'd have 1000 points and two Stanley Cups under his belt as a King?

I recall so many being in awe that he dropped to 11, as Kopitar was projected to be a top 5-6 player. Thank God he was born in Slovenia!

We all knew we were going to witness a special player since Game #1.

DAkings20

Kings can't score
Dec 26, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
I still remember when Kopitar was drafted. I remember where I was. I remember the thread on this board from that day.

I can't believe that was 16 years ago.

On that day, who could've thought that a decade and a half later he'd have 1000 points and two Stanley Cups under his belt as a King?

Hbh6.gif

SmytheKing

Apr 7, 2007
Even more fun is the description they used for who they mocked the Kings taking:

Martin Hanzal
fits the Los Angeles Kings draft tendency perfectly — a physical,
large-bodied forward from Europe. Additionally, Hanzal plays a position of
need for the Kings and his raw offensive skills with a keen attention to
defense have first-line centerman written all over him.

Sound like anyone in particular?

ru4reals

Jul 4, 2007
One of my all time favorite Kings. I only have two Kings Jersey's Gretz and Kopi a Living legend no doubt. We don't win two cups without you Congrats on 1000 points big guy. Feel bad you have to endure the trash around you the past few years. Really praying you retire a King cuz I will ball like a girl if you ever don another jersey.

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
Great accomplishment for Anze Kopitar and well deserved. His number will be in the rafters some day.

Reactions: deeshamrock

bland

Jul 1, 2004
Even more fun is the description they used for who they mocked the Kings taking:

Martin Hanzal
fits the Los Angeles Kings draft tendency perfectly — a physical,
large-bodied forward from Europe. Additionally, Hanzal plays a position of
need for the Kings and his raw offensive skills with a keen attention to
defense have first-line centerman written all over him.

Sound like anyone in particular?

I always liked Hanzal. Not a first liner, but dude was a gamer.

And my god what a terrible first round in retrospect, we got so damn lucky that Dave Taylor was a stickler for Central Scouting rankings that time.

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
I always liked Hanzal. Not a first liner, but dude was a gamer.

And my god what a terrible first round in retrospect, we got so damn lucky that Dave Taylor was a stickler for Central Scouting rankings that time.

No kidding.

Pretty incredible nobody else from the 2005 draft is even CLOSE to 1k points.

Paul Stastny is 3rd with 754 points.

Kopitar achieving 1k while being a top defensive center on a predominantly defensive team is amazing.

ru4reals

Jul 4, 2007
Kopi is 54 goals away from 400 not a huge number to reach and I think if he plays 4 more years and averages 13ish a season he will hit that mark. Really cool if he did.

Reclamation Project

Cut It All Right In Two
Jul 6, 2011
Man I can't even believe it, 1,000 points is such a massive milestone. Only 91 players EVER have hit that! What an incredible player, how fortunate LA is to have him. I strongly believe he'll play to 40 and get 65-80 for the next 5 years at least.

Reactions: deeshamrock

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
2005 Draft. Most points scored:

RoundDraft Pos.PlayerPosGPGAPts
11Sidney CrosbyC10374858381323
111Anze KopitarC11233466541000
244Paul StastnyC996263491754
124T.J. OshieR853256350606
4105Keith YandleD1030102497599
362Kristopher LetangD861134446580
12Bobby RyanR866261308569
233James NealL845293259552
7230Patric HornqvistR814252260512
125Andrew CoglianoC1062170240410
128Matt NiskanenD94972284356
117Martin HanzalC673127211338
235Marc-Edouard VlasicD108273259332
13Jack JohnsonD95071232303
7216Anton StralmanD85555215270
14Benoit PouliotL625130133263
18Devin SetoguchiR516131130261
242Justin AbdelkaderL739106146252
5132Darren HelmL742112139251
251Mason RaymondL546115136251
367Kris RussellD88146199245
379Cody FransonD55043169212
112Marc StaalD94646152198
129Steve DownieR43476120196
7200Sergei KostitsynR35367109176
4108Niklas HjalmarssonD82025147172
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

kingsholygrail

Banana Split 1-1
Sponsor
Dec 21, 2006
Derpifornia
Kings magic number is 2.
Colorado should not be resting players. They are in a heated competition with Vegas for who gets stuck against the Wild in the first round. St Louis or by some miracle, the Kings would be a much more favorable opponent.
The Kings have 4 remaining against Colorado and a head to head with the Blues.
The Blues face Vegas twice and the Wild twice with their head to head with the Kings.
It's quite feasible that St Louis will need Colorado to pummel the Kings to get in. The Kings CAN afford to drop one to Colorado. If they take 3 of 4 and beat the Blues, they can be in assuming Vegas and the Wild do their jobs.

Like these scenarios? :D Tie breakers...
Kings lead St Louis in RW 19-17
St Louis leads the Kings in ROW 22-20
St Louis leads the Kings in W 24-21
Kings dominate the Blues in Head to Head. Yay

We all know it's not happening, but hey, there's the math.

Last edited:

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
Almost certainly family/home distractions. I’ve come to expect this sort of record from this team.

It's not even all that odd. For whatever reason, most of the time, throughout the years, regardless of either team being good or bad at any given time, the Kings tend to do well in Arizona, and the Coyotes tend to do well in LA.

BigKing

Blake Out of Hell III: Back in to Hell
Mar 11, 2003
Belmont Shore, CA
google.com
Nice to see Kopitar so pumped and for the rest of the team to be as well. Kind of surprising was Lemieux seeming to be the most pumped up about it but I guess cozying up to the team captain isn't a bad move politically if you want to stick around.

Guy has just been a machine for the most part. Knew from a rookie game against the Ducks at Staples that he was the real deal and he didn't disappoint.

I was out at dinner so I wound up watching the game on fast forward, stopping for what looked like goals and/or scrums so not a lot of analysis here except to say I've loved Andersson/Vilardi since they've been put together and hope that Seattle doesn't pluck the former. He's pretty much dominated in the AHL this year and seems to get a dangerous chance close to the net in each NHL game he is in. I don't get too caught up in small sample sizes during garbage time of the season but it's nice to think/hope that these two can play together next season and keep it going.

kilowatt

the vibes are not immaculate
Jan 1, 2009
Nice to see Kopitar so pumped and for the rest of the team to be as well. Kind of surprising was Lemieux seeming to be the most pumped up about it but I guess cozying up to the team captain isn't a bad move politically if you want to stick around.

Guy has just been a machine for the most part. Knew from a rookie game against the Ducks at Staples that he was the real deal and he didn't disappoint.

I was out at dinner so I wound up watching the game on fast forward, stopping for what looked like goals and/or scrums so not a lot of analysis here except to say I've loved Andersson/Vilardi since they've been put together and hope that Seattle doesn't pluck the former. He's pretty much dominated in the AHL this year and seems to get a dangerous chance close to the net in each NHL game he is in. I don't get too caught up in small sample sizes during garbage time of the season but it's nice to think/hope that these two can play together next season and keep it going.

I was about to mention that too. Lemieux was more excited than even Kopitar. I wonder if he's turning into a fourth line locker room guy. The Kings are 7-6 with him in the lineup.

tny760

Mar 12, 2017

i think the problem with andersson (before the last couple games) has been that he gets that dangerous chance but doesn't do a whole lot else for the rest of the game. i do think the kid's very talented but i feel like he's still gonna need to do more -- more often -- in order to stick outside of the bottom 6.

might be some lightning in a bottle though between him and vilardi, they're both willing to be creative around the net and try some flashy stuff which is very welcome to me. i think 2 or 3 times last night alone they were flinging spinning backhand passes to each other around the paint and connecting

Reactions: BigKing

BigKing

Blake Out of Hell III: Back in to Hell
Mar 11, 2003
Belmont Shore, CA
google.com
I was about to mention that too. Lemieux was more excited than even Kopitar. I wonder if he's turning into a fourth line locker room guy. The Kings are 7-6 with him in the lineup.

Call me crazy, but Sather's teams were always tough. If Sather has Dolan's ear, the Ranger's firings could be due to constructing a weak roster that has no answer for a Wilson-type rag-dolling their best player. I believe Messier and Sather are tight and the former goes on the radio yesterday talking about how soft the Rangers are.

So back to Lemieux...he's fought Wilson before and did pretty well. Under five minutes with the Rangers up big, Wilson takes a huge run at Lemieux and Lemieux gets up and drops the gloves first. Then this year, Lemieux kicks out the skate of the Caps goalie for no reason with like seven seconds left in the game in another Rangers win. It's the only guy in their lineup that truly brings that element (Smith doesn't look as good last night if he doesn't get the jump on Wilson first) and they move him for a 4th round pick when they already have a lot of youth and a good prospect pool. Doesn't seem like a big deal until your team looks like weak to the entire hockey world. Dolan's ego would lead me to believe that he didn't like his team looking weak and that played in to the firings. If he's listening to Sather, I can guarantee that Sather told him that these guys are building a soft team and I wouldn't be surprised if he panned trading Lemieux for a 4th round pick.

Lemieux hasn't been an out-of-control psycho for the Kings but he has drawn a few penalties and has still provided more edge than any other Kings forward this year. It was something lacking on the roster so I'm happy Blake addressed it. It was something lacking on the Rangers roster outside of Lemieux and the Rangers felt it wasn't necessary: then they caught with their pants down in front of the entire NHL.

Reactions: kilowatt and bland

Ollie Weeks

the sea does not dream of you
Feb 28, 2008
Might have been a preview of our forward “pairs” for next year:

Kopitar and Kempe
Vilardi and Andersson
Byfield and Moore
JAD and perhaps Grundstrom?

Iafallo, Brown, AA, Lemieux to mix and match, plus a couple rookies challenging for spots in camp. Not great, not terrible.

Would be amazing to plop a magical Landeskog overpayment in the middle of that group, but I would settle for Foligno.

Reactions: Ghetty Green

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad