GDT: 2020-21 season game 5 LA Kings vs St. Louis Blues @5:00pm 1/23/21

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
The Kings transition right now is about the worst I've ever seen in all my years of watching hockey. And I spent last year watching the worst team I've seen (Red Wings).
It's Doughty or bust from defense.
The forwards are always scrambling just to get the puck out - because they're taking hand grenade passes or just corraling loose pucks on the boards.

Reactions: Raccoon Jesus

tny760

Mar 12, 2017
I was watching him in the 1st period. His explosiveness after his starts and stops is completely null and void. There is none.

Dude looks like he just played a full season, Olympics, and 4 rounds of playoffs.
seems like he just gives up if he doesn't get his same ole dangle cycle going

hard stop then running in muck for a couple strides before gliding to the bench

tny760

Mar 12, 2017
Carter-Lizotte-AA line
1 shot for
9 shots against.
pretty much ghosts aside from 1 individual effort attempt from carter and a breakout from lizotte

vilardi's gotta get those wingers next game, it's just not working

Reactions: MBH

kilowatt

the vibes are not immaculate
Jan 1, 2009
we just straight up looked bad tonight. only players i liked were... petersen and andersson? maybe?

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Mullett Lake, MI
Carter-Lizotte-AA line
1 shot for
9 shots against.

I don't think Lizotte should be centering those guys.

Lizotte is an asset as a 4th line player, but he is one of those guys that coaches sometimes fall in love with and use to much making an asset into a liability. I think we saw it with Sutter and Clifford towards the end of the Sutter era.

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Mullett Lake, MI
What is there to be confused about with Kopitar. He is 33, he is old for an NHL player. Kopitar and Doughty are only a problem because they are still expected to shoulder the load as the best players on the team when had things not been ridiculously botched from 2015-2019 maybe they are transitioning into a secondary role behind guys like Barzal, Sergachev, Makar, Hughes. These are the types of players that would be in or entering their primes that the Kings could have drafted had they not tried to play contenders from 2015-2019. Kopitar has to be better but the expectations have to be lowered, Doughty and Kopitar are never again going to be the best players on a serious playoff team. When they are the best players you get the Kings results the past few years.

Last edited:

crassbonanza

Fire Luc
Sep 28, 2017
The powerplay needs a lot of work, I know they introduced a new entry with Kempe, but it is already getting stale. If they can get the special teams going the team can make some noise. Also, I saw an interesting stat on the Blues broadcast, Kopitar has the most assists in the NHL since January 8th, 2020 Edit: (I just looked it up and he is 10th, so there must have been another qualifier). Speaking of the Blues broadcast, that has to be one of the top ones in the league. Panger is a gem and they were highly complimentary of the Kings when they did things well. It was nice to hear a hockey broadcast talk about hockey and actually seem to enjoy the sport.

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
What is there to be confused about with Kopitar. He is 33, he is old for an NHL player. Kopitar and Doughty are only a problem because they are still expected to shoulder the load as the best players on the team when had things not been ridiculously botched from 2015-2019 maybe they are transitioning into a secondary role behind guys like Barzal, Sergachev, Makar, Hughes. These are the types of players that would be in or entering their primes that the Kings could have drafted had they not tried to play contenders from 2015-2019. Kopitar has to be better but the expectations have to be tempered, Doughty and Kopitar are never going to be the best players on a contending team. When they are the best players you get the Kings results the past few years.

He's factoring in 50% of the goals for. Nobody has taken the mantle from him yet.

People can dunk on how "useless" he is, but he's still playing the majority of tough minutes and outproducing everyone.

If nobody can beat out an "old, useless" player getting tough minutes, then it gkes back to how well can we develop the offensive ability of these supposedly superior talents?

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Mullett Lake, MI
He's factoring in 50% of the goals for. Nobody has taken the mantle from him yet.

People can dunk on how "useless" he is, but he's still playing the majority of tough minutes and outproducing everyone.

If nobody can beat out an "old, useless" player getting tough minutes, then it gkes back to how well can we develop the offensive ability of these supposedly superior talents?

I'm not disputing that he and Doughty are still the best players on the team. I'm just saying when those are your best players these are the results you are going to get. The Kings need their prospects to overtake Kopitar and Doughty not play secondary roles to them if they are going to contend again before they retire.

This is still a painful time for the Kings because while we have a very impressive prospect list, we needed impressive prospects 3-4 years ago when they could have rebuilt then still had the current Kopitar and Doughty still as pretty good players. I think the timing is just off because when these kids are beginning to make a serious impact who knows what types of players DD and AK will be.

Reactions: KINGS17

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
I'm not disputing that he and Doughty are still the best players on the team. I'm just saying when those are your best players these are the results you are going to get. The Kings need their prospects to overtake Kopitar and Doughty not play secondary roles to them if they are going to contend again before they retire.

This is still a painful time for the Kings because while we have a very impressive prospect list, we needed impressive prospects 3-4 years ago when they could have rebuilt then still had the current Kopitar and Doughty still as pretty good players. I think the timing is just off because when these kids are beginning to make a serious impact who knows what types of players DD and AK will be.

I understand. I was supplementing your post, as people keep pointing out how horrible Kopitar was (he had a bad game, but so did most of the team).

Reactions: Raccoon Jesus

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad