GDT: 2020-21 season game 5 LA Kings vs St. Louis Blues @5:00pm 1/23/21

kingsholygrail

Banana Split 1-1
Sponsor
Dec 21, 2006
Derpifornia
We'd have to retain for Kopitar and I don't know what anyone expects we'd get for him. He's not exactly young anymore. What does need to happen is transitioning away from him being #1 C.

bouncesonly

May 1, 2014
San Diego
we just straight up looked bad tonight. only players i liked were... petersen and andersson? maybe?

Kempe still scoring.

upload_2021-1-23_20-26-2.png

One Blue going into the zone and on Walker's left wing is AA. Why's Walker checking up at the blue line instead of aggressively pursuing O'Reilly? Is he worried about getting burned on the hit and letting AA deal with the Usain BO'Reilly? Why's 11 and 77 just cruising to the bench (only to come in) and letting O'Reilly gain the zone cause Walker had to back off? I can't fathom a good reason for letting O'Reilly gain the zone so easily, makes no sense.

This situation is disappointing...this has been Kings hockey the past few years, it's their identity. Lame.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.

The Good

-Those Blues jerseys are god tier and I will not hear any discussion to the contrary
-The Blues broadcast, of course, as someone else pointed out. Panger is a gem, he's Pierre without the creepiness. Just kidding, Pierre without the creepiness is an empty seat.
-The Blues. They did a lot to frustrate the Kings, great forecheck, absolutely dismantling zone entries--whether the Kings tried to carry or dump, the Blues player always won the puck. And they shotblocked like absolute madmen--the Kings were actually at 57% CF% at 5v5, which tells you how good the Blues were at clogging lanes and how bad the Kings were (ARE) at shooting.
-Adrian Kempe. Continuing his emergence, one of the only skaters who consistently penetrated through the Blues lines, looks so much more decisive this year.
-Kale Clague. Didn't have a GREAT game but he showed progression and ate 16 minutes--including both special teams--against a team that was chewing up our pucks. For a guy who lives on puck skills and not defense, he did well.
-Really liked Lias Andersson, he's a real pain in the ass.
-Doughty. Not quite his old self yet, and that shot into the shinguards while taking himself out of the play had me hovering over 'ugly' instead, but he "only" played 25 minutes, and I think that kept him closer to looking normal.
-Our top 6 players in shot attempt differential were absolutely insane tonight--79, 78, 77, 76, 73, 71%. --Kopitar, Moore, Clague, Kempe, Grundstrom, Iafallo.
-Tonka keeps truckin.
-Amadio looked completely miscast with Grundstrom and Moore, while they were in there grinding in digging, he hung back with wide eyes like he was watching tigers maul a zebra :laugh: but all three had strong games from a play driving and forechecking perspective.

The Bad

-Vilardi's worst game as a King, bar none. Looked indecisive and tentative for the first time ever and for a guy with his foot speed that's a death sentence. Trying too hard to be a good teammate instead of remembering he's f***ing awesome.
-Growing pains for Anderson, like Vilardi. Not sure why he kept falling down, that was the biggest problem. Struggles with more physical checkers, that's for sure. But he's in a tough role and has a lot to learn--he'll be better for it. Still liked his assertiveness, leading the drive a couple of times, better zone entries than most of our forwards.
-It's been real but the Carter-Athanasiou-Lizotte line is officially drunk.
-Reaaalllly need Iafallo to reclaim what made him successful, right now he's late-stage Dwight King.

The Ugly

-Vilardi's faceoff %--13% lolol. Pretty sure this board could win more by dumb luck and toe picking forward on the drop.
-What the actual f*** was Kopitar doing in the last 5 minutes? The guy was a constant forehand-to-backhand, soft turnover, slow turn. If I didn't see "11" on his jersey, I'd be having Michal Handzus flashbacks, but at least Zeus could get the puck deep. God bless him we need him, he had too many minutes again tonight and I pray he turns it around, the silver lining is he's somehow producing like crazy while looking the worst he has in the NHL.
-Macdermid did not make his supporters look or feel good tonight.
-Amadio can NOT keep turning the puck over in stupid places, he's not skilled enough to even try that OR to make up for it later.
-You cannot have your 2nd line at 25% CF%.
-Coaching decisions, especially with ice time. Anze Kopitar STILL had 1D minutes tonight. He's got more TOI per game than McDavid and Matthews. He's only behind Marner and Schiefele. This is really the only game I can understand the other Cs giving him no options, with Carter/Lizotte trying to crawl out from a dumpster, Vilardi's FO struggles and general tentativeness, and Amadios...Amadioness. But did we forget we have a back to back? Does Kopitar come out with an IV tomorrow?
-I cannot for the life of me understand how Petersen did not get pulled after that double head shot. He didn't even look right for almost 2/3 of the game...

apocalypse

Dean Lombardi's Yes Man
Mar 20, 2017
Los Angeles
Kempe still scoring.

View attachment 387624

One Blue going into the zone and on Walker's left wing is AA. Why's Walker checking up at the blue line instead of aggressively pursuing O'Reilly? Is he worried about getting burned on the hit and letting AA deal with the Usain BO'Reilly? Why's 11 and 77 just cruising to the bench (only to come in) and letting O'Reilly gain the zone cause Walker had to back off? I can't fathom a good reason for letting O'Reilly gain the zone so easily, makes no sense.

This situation is disappointing...this has been Kings hockey the past few years, it's their identity. Lame.
Why don't you take a chill pill.

kingsfan28

Its A Kingspiracy !
Feb 27, 2005
Corsi Hill

The Good

-Those Blues jerseys are god tier and I will not hear any discussion to the contrary
-The Blues broadcast, of course, as someone else pointed out. Panger is a gem, he's Pierre without the creepiness. Just kidding, Pierre without the creepiness is an empty seat.
-The Blues. They did a lot to frustrate the Kings, great forecheck, absolutely dismantling zone entries--whether the Kings tried to carry or dump, the Blues player always won the puck. And they shotblocked like absolute madmen--the Kings were actually at 57% CF% at 5v5, which tells you how good the Blues were at clogging lanes and how bad the Kings were (ARE) at shooting.
-Adrian Kempe. Continuing his emergence, one of the only skaters who consistently penetrated through the Blues lines, looks so much more decisive this year.
-Kale Clague. Didn't have a GREAT game but he showed progression and ate 16 minutes--including both special teams--against a team that was chewing up our pucks. For a guy who lives on puck skills and not defense, he did well.
-Really liked Lias Andersson, he's a real pain in the ass.
-Doughty. Not quite his old self yet, and that shot into the shinguards while taking himself out of the play had me hovering over 'ugly' instead, but he "only" played 25 minutes, and I think that kept him closer to looking normal.
-Our top 6 players in shot attempt differential were absolutely insane tonight--79, 78, 77, 76, 73, 71%. --Kopitar, Moore, Clague, Kempe, Grundstrom, Iafallo.
-Tonka keeps truckin.
-Amadio looked completely miscast with Grundstrom and Moore, while they were in there grinding in digging, he hung back with wide eyes like he was watching tigers maul a zebra :laugh: but all three had strong games from a play driving and forechecking perspective.

The Bad

-Vilardi's worst game as a King, bar none. Looked indecisive and tentative for the first time ever and for a guy with his foot speed that's a death sentence. Trying too hard to be a good teammate instead of remembering he's f***ing awesome.
-Growing pains for Anderson, like Vilardi. Not sure why he kept falling down, that was the biggest problem. Struggles with more physical checkers, that's for sure. But he's in a tough role and has a lot to learn--he'll be better for it. Still liked his assertiveness, leading the drive a couple of times, better zone entries than most of our forwards.
-It's been real but the Carter-Athanasiou-Lizotte line is officially drunk.
-Reaaalllly need Iafallo to reclaim what made him successful, right now he's late-stage Dwight King.

The Ugly

-Vilardi's faceoff %--13% lolol. Pretty sure this board could win more by dumb luck and toe picking forward on the drop.
-What the actual f*** was Kopitar doing in the last 5 minutes? The guy was a constant forehand-to-backhand, soft turnover, slow turn. If I didn't see "11" on his jersey, I'd be having Michal Handzus flashbacks, but at least Zeus could get the puck deep. God bless him we need him, he had too many minutes again tonight and I pray he turns it around, the silver lining is he's somehow producing like crazy while looking the worst he has in the NHL.
-Macdermid did not make his supporters look or feel good tonight.
-Amadio can NOT keep turning the puck over in stupid places, he's not skilled enough to even try that OR to make up for it later.
-You cannot have your 2nd line at 25% CF%.
-Coaching decisions, especially with ice time. Anze Kopitar STILL had 1D minutes tonight. He's got more TOI per game than McDavid and Matthews. He's only behind Marner and Schiefele. This is really the only game I can understand the other Cs giving him no options, with Carter/Lizotte trying to crawl out from a dumpster, Vilardi's FO struggles and general tentativeness, and Amadios...Amadioness. But did we forget we have a back to back? Does Kopitar come out with an IV tomorrow?
-I cannot for the life of me understand how Petersen did not get pulled after that double head shot. He didn't even look right for almost 2/3 of the game...

McD was pretty brutal tonight. 2 goals were on him. Valardi had a bad night for sure, he got eaten alive on faceoffs. Not sure where the 2nd line was. Carter was damn near invisible to the point I had to check to see if he was scratched.

Just a bad game all around.

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
On the plus side, they can answer back with a strong performance tomorrow. On the negative side, that’s probably hoping for too much. Putting together a 60-minute effort has been arduous for this squad.

Lt Dan

F*** your ice cream!
Sep 13, 2018
Bayou La Batre
youtu.be
McD was pretty brutal tonight. 2 goals were on him. Valardi had a bad night for sure, he got eaten alive on faceoffs. Not sure where the 2nd line was. Carter was damn near invisible to the point I had to check to see if he was scratched.

Just a bad game all around.
We need 1 more dman. Maata and McD aren't the answer?

What's the word on bjornfort?
Anyone know?

Raccoon Jesus

Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
On the plus side, they can answer back with a strong performance tomorrow. On the negative side, that’s probably hoping for too much. Putting together a 60-minute effort has been arduous for this squad.

It'll be a back-to-back situation and the 4th game in 6 nights...big ask for a team that keeps playing its 1c 25 minutes a game...

Even better, we'll have played 6 in 10 and also on the road when we're done with the Wild in a few days, this could get worse before it may get better.

These guys looked gassed already tonight, tomorrow might be a rough watch.

kingsfan28

Its A Kingspiracy !
Feb 27, 2005
Corsi Hill
It'll be a back-to-back situation and the 4th game in 6 nights...big ask for a team that keeps playing its 1c 25 minutes a game...

Even better, we'll have played 6 in 10 and also on the road when we're done with the Wild in a few days, this could get worse before it may get better.

These guys looked gassed already tonight, tomorrow might be a rough watch.

After watching the final 5 min again, Kopitar looked gassed. Some of those passes were just awful. Still not sure why TMac waited until there was 15 sec on the pp to pull the goalie.

Peter James Bond III

CHROMIAK COMETH
Jul 8, 2020
I'm just glad that the Kings are headed in the right direction. Good to see Kempe has finally arrived. I think there's no regression here on out and just will get better, with more confidence and getting deserved 1st line duties. While Vilardi was off his game tonight, he's going to be very good and I'm not worried - except for his faceoffs. Why not put Carter on his RW and move Brown to Lizotte's line; to let Carter take the faceoffs for Gabe for now. (that won't help Gabe's confidence on draws, but he needs to work on them)

Lias Andesrsson looking legit and could have had a few pts. Grundstrom looked better as the game went on. I liked Clague's game a lot. He looks more comfortable and not at all
like a liability in his zone. He looks bigger, too. I'd like to see him keep getting 15+ minutes and some 2nd PP time.

I know full well things will get better moving forward and that gives me hope. If not a playoff team, these young players will get great experience and get better. I see players like Mikey Anderson, Lias Andersson, Grundstrom, Vilardi, Kempe all getting better; as well as Bjornfot (once he plays)....and the Moore's, Amadio's, Wagner's, MacDermid's, Luff's NOT getting better, but just being at their potential. In the past, this was a problem, going forward, because there was no one in the AHL that could move in and be better.

Just knowing that REAL talent is in the AHL : Byfield, Kaliyev, Turcotte (soon) Madden, Kupari, Fagemo, Thomas and Hults (soon) and even Dudas....that things WILL get better.
Sure, most of these will not play on the Kings this year, but that's fine. They will all get a year of pro hockey. Some will be ready to open on the Kings in October (or whenever 21-22 starts)

The thing that's awesome - it's not just Byfield, Turcotte, or Kaliyev we're pinning our hopes on....players like Kupari, Madden and Fagemo would be the best prospects on several NHL teams. I would not be shocked to see Kupari or Madden to surprise to the upside and that will only be sublime. Fagemo too...but I don't think many would be shocked, if he does well. Kupari has been called a more talented Kempe? Saw that somewhere...I'll freakin take that. I think Wrobo will get the Euro play stuff changed to more NHL style and help make him an impact player...just like Kempe is finally becoming.

Now...what happened to Iafallo? Looking like his rookie season, without the tenacity and drive...he'll be an UFA, so he'd better figyaitout. (for himself, if not the team!)

Last edited:

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
We'd have to retain for Kopitar and I don't know what anyone expects we'd get for him. He's not exactly young anymore. What does need to happen is transitioning away from him being #1 C.

Only thing I can think of are teams with a closing window and some desperation.
Montreal, for example. They need to do something in the next two years with the aging Price and Weber.
But looking cap space up and down, you're right. I don't see any team with the space AND the need.

Reactions: kingsholygrail

kilowatt

the vibes are not immaculate
Jan 1, 2009
Only thing I can think of are teams with a closing window and some desperation.
Montreal, for example. They need to do something in the next two years with the aging Price and Weber.
But looking cap space up and down, you're right. I don't see any team with the space AND the need.

If the return was big enough, the Kings could retain. Who will be seeing big raises in the next three years? Especially given that Carter, Brown, and Quick will all drop off the books in that time too. It may be a tough sell for ownership, but Kopitar at $7 million? Or $5.5 million? That's top prospects and more territory.

Reactions: MBH

Frolov 6'3

Unregistered User
Jun 7, 2003
The Netherlands
While Vilardi was off his game tonight, he's going to be very good and I'm not worried - except for his faceoffs. Why not put Carter on his RW and move Brown to Lizotte's line; to let Carter take the faceoffs for Gabe for now. (that won't help Gabe's confidence on draws, but he needs to work on them)
It was; 53%, 50%, 44% & 64% in the other games.

13% is horrible but you wont get moved from the circle due to one bad game.

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
Kings aren’t trading Kopi unless he wants to go.

And he still gets to pick 7 teams to go to. Imagine the teams inherently eliminated, and keep going from there. Montreal has $45k in cap room, and even if the Kings retained 50%, who is Bergevin sending this way that adds up to $5m? Not getting Suzuki or Romanov as the prospect guy. Right now their 1st is low.

Nothing Blake has done the last few years even suggests Kopitar is anywhere close to being dealt.

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
If the return was big enough, the Kings could retain. Who will be seeing big raises in the next three years? Especially given that Carter, Brown, and Quick will all drop off the books in that time too. It may be a tough sell for ownership, but Kopitar at $7 million? Or $5.5 million? That's top prospects and more territory.

So, who are teams with need?
I think if you're in the Canadian conference, you need centers to be taken serious... against McDavid/Drai, Matthews/Tavares, Scheifele/Dubois...

So, Calgary, Montreal, Vancouver...
Those are 3 teams I'd target.

Montreal. $45,000 in space. Danault. Suzuki. Kotkaniemi
Calgary. $2M in space. Lindholm. Monahan. Backlund.
Maybe Vancouver?
Vancouver. $0 in space. Horvat. They list Pettersson as 2C, but he sixth on the team in faceoffs taken.

So, LA would need to take back a lot of money in space and/or eat contract.
If you eat $4M in space, I think you can get a nicer return.

Could the Canucks be the team?
1) Take Louie Eriksson. Huge favor done. $4M left to go.
2) Go after JT Miller or Brock Boeser.
3) Go after a pick or a prospect. Maybe Juolevi?

For Montreal.
1) Either Tatar or Drouin
2) Eat some salary.
-- I don't know about this. We'd need two fairly high salaries and then I don't see Montreal wanting to still give up youth/prospects

For Calgary
They actually look half decent at center - really underrated. Lindholm leads them in TOI and points, but 34 percent on faceoffs.

What could Calgary do if you took Lucic's salary?
1) Take Lucic.
2) Take Lindholm
3) Take Valimaki

Last edited:
Reactions: kilowatt

cyclones22

Apr 4, 2003
Eastvale
What's been most baffling to me so far is both Kopitar and Iafallo's play with the puck. Puck handling and pass receiving has been horrible. And some of those zone clearing attempts have been WAY too casual and with no zip behind it. I think it's a case of being way too cute and thinking they have to touch to just clear the defense and guess what, they don't right now!

Raccoon Jesus

Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
What's been most baffling to me so far is both Kopitar and Iafallo's play with the puck. Puck handling and pass receiving has been horrible. And some of those zone clearing attempts have been WAY too casual and with no zip behind it. I think it's a case of being way too cute and thinking they have to touch to just clear the defense and guess what, they don't right now!

I'm trying to remain optimistic about it and see that they're still driving play and Kopitar and Kempe are still being insanely productive while Kopitar/Iafallo do not look like themselves at all.

Kopitar at least has flashes, I think he's just being overplayed and shaking the rust, Iafallo--maybe it's just rust but he hasn't even shown a glimpse.

kilowatt

the vibes are not immaculate
Jan 1, 2009
I'm trying to remain optimistic about it and see that they're still driving play and Kopitar and Kempe are still being insanely productive while Kopitar/Iafallo do not look like themselves at all.

Kopitar at least has flashes, I think he's just being overplayed and shaking the rust, Iafallo--maybe it's just rust but he hasn't even shown a glimpse.

I certainly wouldn't mind taking Iafallo off the top line for a bit and seeing what happens. Kempe - Kopitar - Carter might be a really productive top line, even if it might be overloading talent a bit.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad