GDT: 2020-21 season game 42 LA Kings vs Vegas Golden Knights @7:00pm 4/14/21

Statto

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 9, 2014
I don't agree.
Bad read by McDermid to pinch there. Super bad read.
Yeah, Brown could have read it better, but that's on McD
Yep, McD should not be aggressive there and the RD is completely out of position, giving away center ice... it’s so amateur for this level I’m guessing it’s a forward covering for a D that went low (I didn’t see the game). Brown should be reacting to McD making a bad read and busting a gut to get back... did he?

Reactions: MBH

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
Here's what I see. You've got two cornerstone players in Doughty and Kopitar who can have an enormous impact on the success of the rebuild IF they believe they'll be playing meaningful games before their careers are over. If they don't, you'll just get more quotes from Doughty like the ones from the past week and lackluster play from both of them. The organization needs some REAL hope right now...not just the promise that some teenagers are going to be ready to contribute in 3-4 years. They need to be competitive (not even playoff caliber...just competitive) next year or this will start to look like Buffalo or Detroit for real. A losing culture is a real thing and the Kings are about to finish as a bottom 5 team for the third straight year. How is that even possible with Doughty and Kopitar on the team?

Because the whole damn team quit in September 2018. Maybe they had PTSD from the Vegas series, maybe they didn't like the Kovalchuk addition, maybe they didn't like Stevens giving Brown a second life and opening up the system enough to have Kopitar actually have a really great season. Whatever it was, every player on the roster gave up, including Doughty and Kopitar. Had the players not done that, maybe they're not one of the worst teams over the last 3 years.

You're just not a serious poster anymore. You forced me to name a name so that you could redirect the conversation. Any name I would have mentioned you would have done the same thing. He resigned two RFA's in Walker and Roy. That's quite an accomplishment. He resigned Iafallo which I think any GM could have (and would have) done. Blake has been GM for 4 years now. Has he added a single player to the team that has made any real difference? I can't think of a single one. What makes you think he's going to start doing so now or in the future?

He tried getting some guys in the summer of 2018. Then the team quit, and then the sell off began, because the guys on the roster quit.

I don't know what Blake will do this summer. That doesn't make me an apologist. If he's re-signing Iafallo now, but adds nothing else before next season, then re-signing Iafallo will have been pointless. I'm just willing to wait and see.

I'm still in favor of what DL did with Lucic, because they were still trying to win the Cup while Kopitar had a good contract. I will not call that one of the worst moves in franchise history. Barzal didn't help the Islanders for 2 years. None of the guys people wanted with the 2015 picked helped anyone for 2 years.

I was pro-Kovalchuk. Or Pacioretty. You want to add to a playoff team, since the whole point is competing.

I was for re-signing Kopitar and Doughty. I also get that if you bring a franchise 2 Cups, you're getting rewarded. Quick and Brown got their deals, and they weren't going to stop at Kopitar or Doughty. Sure, StL walked away from their Cup captain, but then gave out other stupid contracts in the name of competing. So either way.

Once the roster quit in the 2018 training camp, yes, I was in favor of purging the roster as much as they realistically could.

Statto

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 9, 2014
Blake essentially gifted Vilardi the 2C role at the beginning of the year after 10 NHL games. Blake had all summer to find a veteran 2C. He needs to revamp the entire 2nd line this offseason. His lack of GM experience is really starting to show.
Not really he wasn’t getting any more ice time than anyone else behind Kopitar. Acquiring a vet C good enough to play 2C just creates an issue down the line. You only do that if you want to rush the rebuild which isn’t what we are doing. Blakes not panicking and making stupid moves, which is what I want to see.

Sure Vilardi has had the opportunity to claim the role of 2C and he’s shown he’s got the ability. Somethings up though, be it stamina or mental, but he’s not the player he was in the first 20-30 games. He needs a reset and very soon. I’ve championed his cause throughout all his issues but I really want to see some sort of reaction from him because right now it’s not good enough.

SFKingshomer

Aug 2, 2008
Sioux Falls
Vegas picked up Chandler Stephenson at the beginning of 2020 for like a 5th round pick. Now he is their 1st line center. You want a name and I gave you one. Good GM's find players. Bad GM's don't.

You're implying that Stephenson was picked up to be their answer at center and that's not the case at all. He was put there because their top prospect Cody Glass could not replace Stastny after he was traded to the Jets. If anything, DeBoer should get the credit for trying a bottom 6 center alongside his 2 really good wingers and Stephenson gets credit for working his butt off to get that shot. Blake made a couple of smaller moves last offseason while they assessed this season to see what they have in the system. You should see bigger moves this offseason if AEG is ok with adding salary.

Reactions: BringTheReign

yankeeking

Jun 4, 2007
I.E.
Neither goal MacDs fault, let’s be real here...

B******t. That pinch was with all 3 forwards below the goal line, no one to cover for him ......the second one was the bullfighter defense oley’ he has had a bad year and is trying too hard , love the guy but can’ t defend him lately, and has not kicked anyone’s ass even after they hurt Toby and creamed tonka , has to play his game simple and hard

Fat Elvis

El Guapo
Dec 25, 2003
On Lebowski's rug
Visit site
Welp, no bueno.

At this point of the season I would like to see them playing better. But that's not the case. Disappointing

So, on to Standings watching. With 14 games left, playoffs are not gonna happen. Need to fight for the best drafting spot they can muster. There are 6 teams behind us so the "suck" is happening at an opportune time. We need to root for DET, CBUS, VAN, OTT, NJ and even the ducks.

If what we're going to see the rest of the season is what we watched last night, than we better get rewarded for a proper bed shit. Earn themselves a top 5 pick. Draft that stud LHD and hit that reset button for next season. But this is it. This is the last shitty season they're allowed for quite some time. They have cap space, draft capitol, full prospect cupboards and no more excuses. Figure it out and get er done.

SFKingshomer

Aug 2, 2008
Sioux Falls
Welp, no bueno.

At this point of the season I would like to see them playing better. But that's not the case. Disappointing

So, on to Standings watching. With 14 games left, playoffs are not gonna happen. Need to fight for the best drafting spot they can muster. There are 6 teams behind us so the "suck" is happening at an opportune time. We need to root for DET, CBUS, VAN, OTT, NJ and even the ducks.

If what we're going to see the rest of the season is what we watched last night, than we better get rewarded for a proper bed shit. Earn themselves a top 5 pick. Draft that stud LHD and hit that reset button for next season. But this is it. This is the last shitty season they're allowed for quite some time. They have cap space, draft capitol, full prospect cupboards and no more excuses. Figure it out and get er done.

I'd rather see them especially the kids play better down the stretch. The prospects at the top are real close in value and tanking is far from a guarantee of anything. There are several potentially good to great defenseman in this draft and the speculation is all over the map as to who the best are. They should send Vilardi down for more condifence and Bjornfot to develop a little more. Give a cup of coffee to Thomas and Turcotte or Byfield, possibly Kupari and Moverare.

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Mullett Lake, MI
Na, lose as many games as possible. For all we know the Kings scouts have someone like Power or Hughes above everyone else, the worse they are the better chance they have to draft him or the cost to trade up is less if you have the #5 or #6 pick vs. the #9 or #10.

The Kings AHL affiliate is a bottom feeder too, guys like Byfield are going to be in a losing atmosphere no matter what.

Reactions: Lt Dan

tomd

Apr 23, 2003
Visit site
Welp, no bueno.

Blake needs to make at least one statement trade this summer...a Ryan O'Reilly type of trade like the Blues made a couple of years ago. There is no one in Ontario that can be counted upon to contribute meaningfully next year (or perhaps even the year after that). UFA signings are unlikely. If Blake isn't the guy to improve the roster this summer then ownership needs to find a GM who can.

Reactions: Fat Elvis

tomd

Apr 23, 2003
Visit site
Na, lose as many games as possible. For all we know the Kings scouts have someone like Power or Hughes above everyone else, the worse they are the better chance they have to draft him or the cost to trade up is less if you have the #5 or #6 pick vs. the #9 or #10.

The Kings AHL affiliate is a bottom feeder too, guys like Byfield are going to be in a losing atmosphere no matter what.

That's fine as long as you realize that it is very unlikely that anyone drafted this year (even Power) will make any meaningful contribution in the NHL until the 23-24 season. And with the post you did earlier about recent Kings draft picks, can you even be sure that the Kings will pick a player that can contribute even that soon?

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Mullett Lake, MI
That's fine as long as you realize that it is very unlikely that anyone drafted this year (even Power) will make any meaningful contribution in the NHL until the 23-24 season. And with the post you did earlier about recent Kings draft picks, can you even be sure that the Kings will pick a player that can contribute even that soon?

We don't know that. It is well within the realm of possibility that Power (as an example) returns to school as a 19 yo and takes that "sophomore step" that a lot of kids make and is a dominant defenseman at the NCAA level and ready to step into the Kings lineup at the end of next season. The same is true of any of the three UM guys projected to go high, and I assume true of any of the other guys at the top.

Just because the Kings haven't had any prospects develop quickly into stars doesn't mean the next guy won't. And even if Power or whoever does take until 23-24, I don't see how that has anything to do with the Kings winning meaningless games this season. Having the #4 pick and finishing last in the division is better for the team than having the #7 pick and finishing ahead of the Ducks or Sharks.

Last edited:

tomd

Apr 23, 2003
Visit site
We don't know that. It is well within the realm of possibility that Power (as an example) returns to school as a 19 yo and takes that "sophomore step" that a lot of kids make and is a dominant defenseman at the NCAA level and ready to step into the Kings lineup at the end of next season. The same is true of any of the UM guys projected to go, and I assume true of any of the other guys at the top.

Just because the Kings haven't had any prospects develop quickly into stars doesn't mean the next guy won't. And even if Power or whoever does take until 23-24, I don't see how that has anything to do with the Kings winning meaningless games this season. Having the #4 pick and finishing last in the division is better for the team than having the #7 pick and finishing ahead of the Ducks or Sharks.

Power may indeed do as you say but you certainly can't count on it. He's not projected as a sure-fire "step into the NHL" type of guy. One more year at Michigan and a full year in the AHL is standard fare for a guy like him. He's far from a finished product. A guy like Hughes is even further away. Two years in college and then at least part of a year in the AHL. Lack of strength is a real issue with him.

Either way, it still gets back to my premise...there is no help in this draft or in Ontario that can be counted upon to meaningfully help the Kings next season. Blake has to make some moves to improve the team this summer. Not Olli Maata moves but Ryan O'Reilly type moves.

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Mullett Lake, MI
Power may indeed do as you say but you certainly can't count on it. He's not projected as a sure-fire "step into the NHL" type of guy. One more year at Michigan and a full year in the AHL is standard fare for a guy like him. He's far from a finished product. A guy like Hughes is even further away. Two years in college and then at least part of a year in the AHL. Lack of strength is a real issue with him.

Either way, it still gets back to my premise...there is no help in this draft or in Ontario that can be counted upon to meaningfully help the Kings next season. Blake has to make some moves to improve the team this summer. Not Olli Maata moves but Ryan O'Reilly type moves.

Well I agree with you on the last part, and have been saying as much for awhile here. It makes no sense at all to keep both 11 and 8 if this is going to be as slow a rebuild as it looks. Based on how things currently look Byfield is going to be wearing training wheels in the NHL next season and Turcotte is probably destined for the Reign again. Another season of likely no playoffs paying two guys over $20m if they don't make a move. I am honestly shocked that the AEG bean counters are tolerating it, although maybe they have bigger fish to fry.

As for Power, who knows, ask me again after next season, but the game often slows down for guys in their sophomore year and that next step in development can be pretty significant. If Charlie McAvoy, Quinn Hughes and Cale Makar can make the jump immediately on the same path it's not out of the question for Power to do the same. It's not 1995 anymore, the path is not as long for defenseman and playing in the AHL for a season is not a necessity. Assuming he returns there is going to be a huge void to fill on UM's blueline with York leaving and Power will have more of a chance to really dominate at that level.

Although who knows, Blake could make another developmental mistake and do something stupid like sign Power and prevent him from taking the sophomore step. To be honest, not sure I even want the Kings to draft any of the 4 UM guys, none of them should be playing anywhere but Ann Arbor next season.

Last edited:
Reactions: Fat Elvis and tomd

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Well I agree with you on the last part, and have been saying as much for awhile here. It makes no sense at all to keep 11 and 8 if this is going to be as slow a rebuild as it looks. Based on how things currently look Byfield is going to be wearing training wheels in the NHL next season and Turcotte is probably destined for the Reign again. Another season of likely no playoffs paying two guys over $20m if they don't make a move. I am honestly shocked that the AEG bean counters are tolerating it, although maybe they have bigger fish to fry.

As for Power, who knows, ask me again after next season, but the game often slows down for guys in their sophomore year and that next step in development can be pretty significant. If Charlie McAvoy, Quinn Hughes and Cale Makar can make the jump immediately on the same path it's not out of the question for Power to do the same. It's not 1995 anymore, the path is not as long for defenseman and playing in the AHL is not a necessity.

Although who knows, Blake could make another developmental mistake and do something stupid like sign Power and prevent him from taking the sophomore step.

I can't imagine they're okay with this next year. But like you say, there are bigger fish to fry--and though they're losing their asses this year, they'll be back to making a killing around LA Live in the Fall, while also seeing some big contracts get ready to fall off the books--not sure what that will mean for Blake and Co but it seems like most have reached a general consensus that next year has to be a big step forward, him and TMac are on the hot seat--not unlike Hextall just accumulating picks in Philly and then doing nothing until he ran out of racetrack. At some point, those poker chips have to enter play.

Note that i'm 100% on board with what's gone on so far. No need to rush guys etc. But some of the older prospects like Kupari need to be starting to make a difference.

SFKingshomer

Aug 2, 2008
Sioux Falls
Blake and staff better know what they have and what time frame as well as direction the team is headed before making a major move. Do they see Kopitar and Doughty around when the team turns the corner? Trading your top prospects in hopes of continuing on some pipe dream from the 2012 core would be a disaster. I don't think they have any option but to wait it out. Who has established themselves and are absolute must keep prospects? Are we ok with trading Byfield and multiple 1st round picks for another player making double digit salary? A guy who hasn't been able to improve his club coming off a neck injury?

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Mullett Lake, MI
Blake and staff better know what they have and what time frame as well as direction the team is headed before making a major move. Do they see Kopitar and Doughty around when the team turns the corner? Trading your top prospects in hopes of continuing on some pipe dream from the 2012 core would be a disaster. I don't think they have any option but to wait it out. Who has established themselves and are absolute must keep prospects? Are we ok with trading Byfield and multiple 1st round picks for another player making double digit salary? A guy who hasn't been able to improve his club coming off a neck injury?

They need to make a decision one way or the other, this keeping the two as the team is bottom five in the league is absolute lunacy for both on-ice product and finances.

If Byfield isn't going to be impactful until 22-23 after next years NHL growing pains and Turcotte is going to spend another year in the minors and there is no immediate plug and play star in this years draft then you try and convince Doughty to waive his NTC and move on somewhere to try and win again while he still has some decent hockey left. Drew's play this year probably creates a market for him, even if the Kings have to take back a bad contract with less term in addition to whatever prospects or picks they get. Now maybe DD has no desire to leave the Kings and is content with missing the playoffs for the next 2-3 years (which would be 8 of 10 seasons since the cup win and 1 playoff win total). But if they aren't going to trade for a star player this offseason it's something they need to atleast explore with Doughty. This just can't continue, this is the mid 90's Kings with those guys playing the role of Gretzky.

Lt Dan

F*** your ice cream!
Sep 13, 2018
Bayou La Batre
youtu.be
Herby is on a roll today and is totally right.

@Herby you have earned this

We all need to realize that a hot powerplay early on hid a lot of this teams's problems. We need a top 4 D man badly and we need to never ice McD as a d-man ever again.
We also need an emotional support pony

tomd

Apr 23, 2003
Visit site

Blake has a rare window this summer that he may not have again...he has lots of cap space and there are a lot of teams that won't be able to afford to fit some of their core guys under the cap. Blake needs to capitalize on this opportunity. Every prospect except Byfield should be on the table. Every non-1st draft pick should be on the table. The team needs 3 solid NHL players added to the roster going into next season...a top 4 LHD, a 2C, and a 2LW. It can be done but it will take a smart and aggressive GM to do it.

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
Blake needs to make at least one statement trade this summer...a Ryan O'Reilly type of trade like the Blues made a couple of years ago. There is no one in Ontario that can be counted upon to contribute meaningfully next year (or perhaps even the year after that). UFA signings are unlikely. If Blake isn't the guy to improve the roster this summer then ownership needs to find a GM who can.

Nobody can expect a Blues/O'Reilly trade. The Blues got him for basically nothing.

tomd

Apr 23, 2003
Visit site
Nobody can expect a Blues/O'Reilly trade. The Blues got him for basically nothing.

See my post #395. This summer is a golden opportunity to get players for below market prices due to the flat cap. I didn't even mention the ED but Blake has a great opportunity to pick up at least one forward that he can protect that another team can't. Would cost a pick/prospect. Big deal. This is the EXACT moment when another O'Reilly for basically nothing trade can be made. If not now, when?

BigKing

Blake Out of Hell III: Back in to Hell
Mar 11, 2003
Belmont Shore, CA
google.com
I mean come on, let's get real. Blake inherited an aging team with no cupboard. Blake was appointed GM in April 2017. This was our top ten prospects as of February 2017:

LA Kings 2017 Mid-Season Prospect Rankings: Top Two Players Revealed

1. Adrian Kempe
2. Paul LaDue
3. Johnny Brodzinski
4. Kale Clague
5. Michael Amadio
6. Michael Mersch
7. Austin Wagner
8. Justin Auger
9. Kurtis MacDermid
10. Jacob Moverare

To say that management hasn't done anything is pretty f***ing insulting. All that's needed now is time to let our prospects turn into NHL players.

I've made the argument that Blake hasn't really done anything except delay a rebuild, misjudge his roster and then suck on purpose when we are talking about actual tangible results. So, yes, in that regard he hasn't done anything much to speak of.

Now, they *appear* to have drafted well but we still don't know if the vast improvement with the prospect pool will yield the results we are hoping for. I've already posted the Kings top prospect lists back when they were ranked Top 5 by HF during the DL rebuild and the names on those lists are pretty alarming when you see how they turned out.

Because of this, Blake needs to identify legit NHL players that he can move some of these prospects for. Waiting 3-4 years and expecting all of them to pan out is a recipe for disaster. We can argue about not moving any of them until you know what you have but the flip side is that the team trading for them now doesn't know what they are getting but would be sporting a boner over the potential just like all of us are. At some point, one in the hand is worth two in the bush.

Is it this summer? Well, I think this year's first is firmly in play for the right deal depending on where it falls. Management could be soured on Vilardi and want out before he has no value. Like, they are the ones there on the day-to-day v. us just continually hoping it is just fatigue or a current lack of confidence but, like, they could think his skating is too much of a detriment. I feel most of us did not want O'Sullivan traded for Williams because hopes were so high for O'Sullivan but Blake is going to eventually have to do something like that where he trades for proven NHL production and character.

Regardless, Blake is going to deserve some criticism on here if this off-season is another Hutton/Maata production and we are watching this again next season.

Reactions: yankeeking and tomd

lumbergh

It was an idea. I didn't say it was a good idea.
Jan 8, 2007
Richmond, VA
I posted this in the Roster Discussion thread, but this is what I hope Blake does this summer:

I want the Kings blow the wad and sign Dougie Hamilton to a long term contract this offseason, if Hamilton becomes available. Exactly the kind of player that the Kings need. Excellent defender (a minuscule 1.7 GA/60 at 5 vs. 5 this season), great size, very good skater for his size, and a bomb of a shot. He's only 27, so he and Doughty could form the backbone of the D for years. Dougie and Doughty. I like the sound of that.

Carolina has the cap space to sign him, but they're also a penny-pinching team. If Hamilton hits the market, the Kings should push their chips in and make a splash. Turn the weak back end into a strength.

Reactions: Raccoon Jesus

Mats26

Vet Movement - What's the Maatta?
Sep 16, 2005
If Blake uses his cap space wisely and if AEG wants to spend a little $$ we should have a more competitive team next year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad