GDT: 2020-21 season game 42 LA Kings vs Vegas Golden Knights @7:00pm 4/14/21

Sol

Smile
Jun 30, 2017
It's too late. Their value is mediocre thanks to the contracts they signed.

I think they have decent value, especially Doughty has good value. His contract aside, he will make any competitive team into a contender. That's a bullet most contention teams are willing to bite.

SFKingshomer

Aug 2, 2008
Sioux Falls
I think they have decent value, especially Doughty has good value. His contract aside, he will make any competitive team into a contender. That's a bullet most contention teams are willing to bite.

Not this again. Kings would need to retain probably 3 million per year and would receive a late 1st and pretty good young player. No one is going to cough up their best assets when they’re taking on 8 million in cap. His NMC, age, and salary make it nearly impossible to get good value.

Last edited:

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Mullett Lake, MI
Then we need to trade Kopitar and Doughty.

Exactly!

Once again, total insanity to be paying two players on the wrong side of 30 over $20m as the team stumbles to their third consecutive season as a bottom quarter team. One is ok, two is ridiculous.

And if they both can’t or won’t be traded than they need to swing for the fences and try and trade for a star.

My worry is this team isn’t going to be good until they are gone because Blake has no idea how to build around them after waiting to long to move them. I know it’s a different world with the cap, but this is mid 90’s Gretzky stuff where the team is just stuck in mud because they don’t know what to do with the old name guy.

tomd

Apr 23, 2003
Visit site
Exactly!

Once again, total insanity to be paying two players on the wrong side of 30 over $20m as the team stumbles to their third consecutive season as a bottom quarter team. One is ok, two is ridiculous.

And if they both can’t or won’t be traded than they need to swing for the fences and try and trade for a star.

My worry is this team isn’t going to be good until they are gone because Blake has no idea how to build around them after waiting to long to move them. I know it’s a different world with the cap, but this is mid 90’s Gretzky stuff where the team is just stuck in mud because they don’t know what to do with the old name guy.

Don't take this the wrong way because I genuinely think you are a smart hockey guy but in advocating for the trades of Doughty and Kopitar you are implying that you want to turn the Kings into Ottawa or Buffalo...the two least respected franchises in the league. Because that is exactly what those franchises would do.

And you are right about Blake...he doesn't have any idea how to put humpty dumpty back together again.

Last edited:
Reactions: Raccoon Jesus

SFKingshomer

Aug 2, 2008
Sioux Falls
Don't take this the wrong way because I genuinely this you are a smart hockey guy but in advocating for the trades of Doughty and Kopitar you are implying that you want to turn the Kings into Ottawa or Buffalo...the two least respected franchises in the league. Because that is exactly what those franchises would do.

And you are right about Blake...he doesn't have any idea how to put humpty dumpty back together again.

I think that’s a little unfair. He just now had the assets and available cap space to do something but it’s going to take a willing team and some guts to do it. Before now has been premature in the rebuild and the first year or so he was trying to retool.

tomd

Apr 23, 2003
Visit site
I think that’s a little unfair. He just now had the assets and available cap space to do something but it’s going to take a willing team and some guts to do it. Before now has been premature in the rebuild and the first year or so he was trying to retool.

The point I was trying to make was that trading them AT ALL turns LA into Ottawa or Buffalo...the two jokes of the NHL.

Reactions: Raccoon Jesus

SFKingshomer

Aug 2, 2008
Sioux Falls
The point I was trying to make was that trading them AT ALL turns LA into Ottawa or Buffalo...the two jokes of the NHL.

I got that part and I agree. I felt like that should have been done awhile ago if you were going to maximize their value and completely overhaul the roster and farm. They do have assets to improve but it’s going to be a huge challenge. When do you find high talent available that don’t have some red flags? You need to be damn sure you get value out of Turcotte and or Byfield. Don’t waste them for a Laine type...

tomd

Apr 23, 2003
Visit site
I got that part and I agree. I felt like that should have been done awhile ago if you were going to maximize their value and completely overhaul the roster and farm. They do have assets to improve but it’s going to be a huge challenge. When do you find high talent available that don’t have some red flags? You need to be damn sure you get value out of Turcotte and or Byfield. Don’t waste them for a Laine type...

Agree with the first part for sure. I'd trade anyone in the organization to get Laine IF he would come here with his head screwed on straight. That's just my opinion though...40-50 goal scorers are so hard to find...even if they have a wart or two.

SFKingshomer

Aug 2, 2008
Sioux Falls
Agree with the first part for sure. I'd trade anyone in the organization to get Laine IF he would come here with his head screwed on straight. That's just my opinion though...40-50 goal scorers are so hard to find...even if they have a wart or two.

I’d take him as a discount reclamation project which probably won’t happen. His attitude and work ethic are huge red flags.

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Mullett Lake, MI
Don't take this the wrong way because I genuinely think you are a smart hockey guy but in advocating for the trades of Doughty and Kopitar you are implying that you want to turn the Kings into Ottawa or Buffalo...the two least respected franchises in the league. Because that is exactly what those franchises would do.

I don't know if you've been reading my posts here the past few months but I have advocated trading for Eichel on numerous occasions because it makes no sense to go through a rebuild with two 30+ players making $20+ million combined. Yes, I would have traded Doughty in 2017 and would still do it today, but if the Kings don't want to go down that path for whatever reason then they should 100% be on Eichel (or any star forward) if one becomes available.

That being said, completely blowing it up like Ottawa did is more appealing and makes more financial sense than what the Kings are currently doing. They have paid DD and Kopitar a combined $76 million since Blake took over and have 0 playoff wins and don't look like they have a playoff roster for next season if they aren't going to be active in trading for a star and are going to stick with the slow rebuild (as Blake has said). I guess it pays to have your best buddy be your boss. Unfortunately for both of them, the best buddy is probably entering dangerous territory himself.

Why even talk about trading either player?

They aren’t going anywhere.

This is very likely true. So the next question becomes what to do to maximize the time they have left here. Kopitar is owed $30m and Doughty is owed $66 million. As I said in the other reply the Kings have already punted $76 million and prime years from both players. Are they going to add another $21m to that total next season and then hope and pray it's not $42m in 22-23?

When are the Kings going to sniff the playoffs with the current trajectory?
When are the Kings going to be able to win a playoff series or 2 with the current trajectory?
When are the Kings going to be able to be contenders with the current trajectory?

Last edited:

tomd

Apr 23, 2003
Visit site
I don't know if you've been reading my posts here the past few months but I have advocated trading for Eichel on numerous occasions because it makes no sense to go through a rebuild with two 30+ players making $20+ million combined. Yes, I would have traded Doughty in 2017 and would still do it today, but if the Kings don't want to go down that path for whatever reason then they should 100% be on Eichel (or any star forward) if one becomes available.

That being said, completely blowing it up like Ottawa did is more appealing and makes more financial sense than what the Kings are currently doing. They have paid DD and Kopitar a combined $76 million since Blake took over and have 0 playoff wins and don't look like they have a playoff roster for next season if they aren't going to be active in trading for a star and are going to stick with the slow rebuild (as Blake has said). I guess it pays to have your best buddy be your boss. Unfortunately for both of them, the best buddy is probably entering dangerous territory himself.

This is very likely true. So the next question becomes what to do to maximize the time they have left here. Kopitar is owed $30m and Doughty is owed $66 million. As I said in the other reply the Kings have already punted $76 million and prime years from both players. Are they going to add another $21m to that total next season and then hope and pray it's not $42m in 22-23?

When are the Kings going to sniff the playoffs with the current trajectory?
When are the Kings going to be able to win a playoff series or 2 with the current trajectory?
When are the Kings going to be able to be contenders with the current trajectory?

Smart post...no disagreements. And yes, I've noticed your Eichel posts. Kopitar/Eichel as 1-2 center would be pretty strong but it puts Byfield in limbo to some degree since I'm not sure he can play wing. Turcotte and Vilardi could easily move to wing. [Edit: obviously Turcotte or Byfield would most likely be going the other way in an Eichel trade so it may not be an issue]

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Mullett Lake, MI
Smart post...no disagreements. And yes, I've noticed your Eichel posts. Kopitar/Eichel as 1-2 center would be pretty strong but it puts Byfield in limbo to some degree since I'm not sure he can play wing. Turcotte and Vilardi could easily move to wing.

If the Kings were to trade for Eichel there is no concern with Byfield and where he fits because he would be going the other way in any deal.

Reactions: tomd
Jun 30, 2006

We are already Senators/Sabres bad. Hello,we’ve been picking in the top 5 for a couple drafts now.

kingsfan28

Its A Kingspiracy !
Feb 27, 2005
Corsi Hill
Don’t want MacD in the lineup? Don’t get injured.

Beyond that we can only wait for player acquisitions to make the defence deeper.

Here's the thing, when we were winning, he was out of the line up for 2 weeks. Then TMac take Strand or who ever out so he could get some icetime, and they get smoke and he was a mess. . He was a -2 or -3 that night. It's gone down hill since.

Reactions: Schmooley

kingsfan28

Its A Kingspiracy !
Feb 27, 2005
Corsi Hill
Yep, McD should not be aggressive there and the RD is completely out of position, giving away center ice... it’s so amateur for this level I’m guessing it’s a forward covering for a D that went low (I didn’t see the game). Brown should be reacting to McD making a bad read and busting a gut to get back... did he?

the thing is, he never even look to where Brown was. He just jumped into the play well before the puck made it behind the net. Brown was still covering his guy while mcd was 8 feet inside the zone. He was getting burned no matter what. This is just one of many bad reads by him that cost the Kings another goal.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad