Prospect Info: 2020-21 Prospect Info

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
Cotton seems like his reasonable ceiling is basically just Foegele? Am I right there?
I’ve always thought of him as a more skilled but softer Lorentz. Better with the puck around the net, better touch but not as physical. I would presume he’s similar in comparison to Foegele, he’s maybe smarter offensively than Foegele. Foegele can’t play center. Again better with the puck. He’s never been the grinder before, he was the top center. Sounds like he. Needs to learn how to be the grinder to make the fourth line with us. Rod doesn’t want you unless you can be the fourth line guy first, unless you have the skill level to step right into a much higher role.

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
Do you guys think Cotton will make the roster next year? I see he lead the Wolves in goals, but i haven't been able to watch any of his AHL games. I really liked watching him in college and thought he had middle 6 potential.
He'd be pretty high in the order of guys that might get the call if there's a good bit of changeover in our bottom 6 next year I'd imagine.

Martinook, Paquette, and McGinn are all UFAs, we might be able to afford bringing just one back unless they are willing to take contracts around their current salary.

If Francis throws us for a loop and takes say Geekie instead of Skjei or Bean, odds are Cotton would be the guy they call up and slot in to the 4th line since none of our other prospects that seem all that close really fit that role right now. And even then Cotton's not exactly the 4th line grinder type either.

Vagrant

The Czech Condor
Feb 27, 2002
North Carolina
Visit site
just curious, as it has probably been discussed to death, but do we have any claim to tolchinsky at this point? his stock has risen considerably and he's currently producing at the worlds.

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
@Lempo Does this allow for an ELC slide year?
Yes. Being Loaned to KHL is nothing special in this regard, and having signed ELC at 18 and slided his first year, he's eligible to slide a second one.

Reactions: DaveG

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
What is the future outlook for Keane and Lorentz?

Keane is TBD. He has the right profile but he needs to succeed when given his shot.

Lorentz is the new replacement for whichever of McGinn, Martinook, Paquette, and/or Foegele leave. Rod played him over Geekie at every chance. He's already become a favorite and he plays Center. Capable of 10G/20A next year.

emptyNedder

Not seeking rents
Sponsor
Jan 17, 2018
Capable of 10G/20A next year.

Lorentz is one of my favorite Canes now--a great story. I agree he is "capable" of those numbers. But given that McGinn has 30 points once in his career, Martinook topped out at 25, and Paquette at 24, I think Lorentz is likely to end up with something like 7g/11a. Good production given his solid play. The big question is will he get PK time in his second season.

Nikishin Go Boom

Russian Bulldozer Consultent
Jul 31, 2017
Some Drury news, kinda:

I believe the bulk of the article is behind a paywall. But from translating the tweet, sounds like the thought is Drury will not play in the SHL next year We’ll see if he signs in North America, be it with the Canes or elsewhere.

I found another article not behind the paywall.

basically Drury is without a contract for next year and Vaxjo is waiting on him to make a decision. They believe he will not return and will come to North America. Doesn’t say anything else about where Jack ends up.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
I generally think we're worried about Jack for no reason. He's left college which was his way to UFA status, no? I would think the only reason for doing it was because he was going to sign with us. Our minor league team is in his hometown. I'm guessing he's waiting for everything about next season to be confirmed to a level he's happy with, so he can feel good about not going back to Sweden.

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm
I generally think we're worried about Jack for no reason. He's left college which was his way to UFA status, no? I would think the only reason for doing it was because he was going to sign with us. Our minor league team is in his hometown. I'm guessing he's waiting for everything about next season to be confirmed to a level he's happy with, so he can feel good about not going back to Sweden.

I don't think he has to be enrolled in college to go UFA. My understanding was that he just has to wait until his year of draftees would have graduated from college. So if he stays in Sweden playing professionally next year, then he can go UFA in August just the same as if he stayed at Harvard for four years.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
I don't think he has to be enrolled in college to go UFA. My understanding was that he just has to wait until his year of draftees would have graduated from college. So if he stays in Sweden playing professionally next year, then he can go UFA in August just the same as if he stayed at Harvard for four years.
Interesting. I wouldn’t thought he lost some aspect of the ncaa loophole by signing pro somewhere. I’ve never gone this far down this particular hole before.

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014

That was my understanding as well. This offseason is the Adam Fox dilemma. I hope they can get Drury signed because he has arguably the highest floor of any of the Canes prospects. Cheap ELC bottom-6ers who play the right way are good for Cup windows.

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
Interesting. I wouldn’t thought he lost some aspect of the ncaa loophole by signing pro somewhere. I’ve never gone this far down this particular hole before.
Yep. They only somewhat closed that part of the loophole that Van Ryn and others used, but only somewhat. We still would have had his rights but he would have had every opportunity to go UFA after those expire.

Do you think RBA is willing to have a 4th line of
Lorentz - Drury - Geekie?
Yep. I'm sure he'd prefer to have a vet 4th liner on a cheap contract mixed in but he'd ice that kind of line in a second.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad