Prospect Info: 2020-21 Prospect Info

NotOpie

"Puck don't lie"
Jun 12, 2006
North Carolina
I’ve always thought of him as a more skilled but softer Lorentz. Better with the puck around the net, better touch but not as physical. I would presume he’s similar in comparison to Foegele, he’s maybe smarter offensively than Foegele. Foegele can’t play center. Again better with the puck. He’s never been the grinder before, he was the top center. Sounds like he. Needs to learn how to be the grinder to make the fourth line with us. Rod doesn’t want you unless you can be the fourth line guy first, unless you have the skill level to step right into a much higher role.

I believe Cotton played more wing that center his last 2 years in college....for whatever that's worth. My point is that he likely could slot in as either.

Reactions: Bridgeburner96

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
It's not much different than with the European guys who get drafted for 4 exclusive years or the regular North American guys drafted for 2+2 exclusive years. The other guys actually are free to choose their team after the fourth June 1st after the initial draft, while the college guys/dropouts have to wait until past August 15 (and may have to wait fifth year in case they stay in the college and delay their graduation).

The NCAA guys get needless flak for this supposed "loophole".

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
I believe Cotton played more wing that center his last 2 years in college....for whatever that's worth. My point is that he likely could slot in as either.
My point was answering a question about comparing Foegele to Cotton. I think Cotton is the smart offensive player and played that way through college. To me of the two Lorentz is much closer to Foegele but he can play center also in a defensive role.

I’m sure Cotton could slot as either, I’m just saying his style and skill is more offensive in nature compared to Foegele.

I think Lorentz is the sequel to Foegele, if he can show just a little more touch around the net to bury a few rebounds. I’m not sure where Cotton will fit in. He’s pretty far behind in pro development, he and Lorentz were the same draft and Cotton just did his first year. He won’t make it as a skill guy on this team and that was his game. He’s learning lessons Lorentz learned a few years ago.

Nikishin Go Boom

Russian Bulldozer Consultent
Jul 31, 2017
My point was answering a question about comparing Foegele to Cotton. I think Cotton is the smart offensive player and played that way through college. To me of the two Lorentz is much closer to Foegele but he can play center also in a defensive role.

I’m sure Cotton could slot as either, I’m just saying his style and skill is more offensive in nature compared to Foegele.

I think Lorentz is the sequel to Foegele, if he can show just a little more touch around the net to bury a few rebounds. I’m not sure where Cotton will fit in. He’s pretty far behind in pro development, he and Lorentz were the same draft and Cotton just did his first year. He won’t make it as a skill guy on this team and that was his game. He’s learning lessons Lorentz learned a few years ago.
Wolves coach made it seem like he was ready offensively but he needs to be ready to play as a 4th liner to make the roster.

Canes

Oct 31, 2017
An Oblate Spheroid
I'd love to be proven wrong but I think if Drury was going to sign here he would have done it already. Uncle being Rags GM and his former teammate Adam Fox doing the same thing and it working out pretty well for him aren't exactly reasons to give us hope. I can't imagine the wait is for any other reason than to keep his options open which isn't good either way (for us anyway).

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
Wolves coach made it seem like he was ready offensively but he needs to be ready to play as a 4th liner to make the roster.
Which is what I said in my first post about Cotton I think, and implied in the one you’re responding to. He’s not playing for Rod without playing like a fourth liner before he shows up. Lorentz learned that awhile ago and it took some time to make the adjustment.

NotOpie

"Puck don't lie"
Jun 12, 2006
North Carolina

Bleed I think you're mostly right about the offensive capabilities of Cotton vs. Foegele. My read on Cotton is less that he needs to play like a grinding 4th liner and more that he has to develop a consistent set of defensive instincts. He can play down low, cycle, even forecheck pretty effectively, from what I've seen in limited views. It seems like his defensive instincts are what's lacking....or maybe better put, his defensive awareness....which can be learned.

In the end, I think Cotton tops out as a 3rd/4th line tweener.

Foegs still remains a bit of a mystery to me offensively. At other levels he's proven he can put the puck in the net; he just seems more inclined, at this level, to squeeze his stick too hard.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $354.00