Speculation: 2020-21 News/Rumors/Roster Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

KingsOfCali25

Start up the Bandwagon!
Feb 21, 2013
Santa Clarita, CA
So, I saw this on Hockey writers, I think...

They said a trade with yotes involving Hjalmerson + 1st to the Kings... I forget what the Kings send the other way but I propose Clague and a 2nd. This helps the yotes cap space and the kings get another 1st and a solid D.

I wouldn’t want to include both Clague and a 2nd. Teams close to the cap are gonna be screwed and team with cap space need to pressure the returns. I think LA can get good package for minimal return. Squeeze the cap teams for all they got. Not many teams have the space to help those teams out.

Reactions: Piston

kingsboy11

Maestro
Dec 14, 2011
USA

Stimpythecat

Jul 1, 2015
Yeah, I'd rather not give up Clague either. Not many teams have both the cap space and the willingness to use that space for cap dumps. And I'm not certain the kings have that willingness, especially in this financial market.

Teams that have both should put the thumb screws to teams that need to dump players.

Rumpelstiltskin

Serial Ruminator
Jun 14, 2007
Los Alamitos, CA
What would you guys prefer to have, a 2nd round pick in 2021 or a 3rd round pick and Kyle Clifford?

Unpopular opinion: I'd re-sign both Clifford and Lewis *on the express condition that* both would take one-or-two year, vet minimum deals. If the "worst" happened and a couple of the young'uns really are ready, just scratch the old hands and nothing's lost.

If it comes to the point that either (or both) can get north of a million bucks on a multi-year deal, though, I don't have too much trouble at all saying, "Thanks for the memories"...

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
I respectfully disagree. There is still a much better chance of landing a potential impact player in the 2nd round than there is in the 3rd. The Kings can go out and sign a Kyle Clifford type in free agency if they are looking for a character 4th liner. Clifford re-signing in Toronto is the best thing for the Kings, IMO.

I disagree. We've seen the charts of how likely a player is to be an NHLer drop significantly outside of the first round.

Toronto's late 2nd versus late 3rd isn't substantially better.

Clifford is very respected league-wide. He offers credibility, respect, and experience as the team transitions to get younger.

More importantly, he wants to be here. I'm not saying he'll sign a hometown discount, but buying via free agency is always more expensive.

I think the Kings should focus more on quality players than nickel-and-diming for a better pick. I understand your reasoning, but I don't agree.

Reactions: Rumpelstiltskin

cyclones22

Apr 4, 2003
Eastvale
Great interview. He knows what he has to work on and is taking the steps to get to the next level. My only negative observation of Vilardi in his 10 game stint was that toward the end of his shift he often fell down and lost his footing. That's definitely strength and stamina related which is easily correctable and not unexpected for someone who had been out for so long.

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
Bernstein mentions during the podcast that Lewis won't be back. Didn't phrase it as a prediction, but rather stating that the decision had been made.

Also that the Kings really don't want to break up the Quick/Petersen tandem, to the point they are willing to incentivize Seattle not taking him.

Reactions: Raccoon Jesus

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
What if Seattle doesn’t even want Quick? Would seem foolish to give up anything for them to protect a 35-36 year old goalie who will have two years left at $5.8M when Seattle joins the league.

Reactions: go4hockey

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
In Quick's last two seasons he'll be making 3M and 2.5M in actual salary. Maybe if Seattle wants a cheap goalie (in terms of real world dollars) that has some name recognition they could be interested in JQ.

But looking at it objectively, I don't see why Seattle would be interested in him.

If anything we should WANT Seattle to take him.

Reactions: go4hockey

Stimpythecat

Jul 1, 2015
What would the incentive be for seattle to not draft quick? A 2nd round pick? We have 5-6 of them over the next 2 drafts.

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
the cap space to sign Forsberg was the real winner there

And he went on to pop 75 points in 60 games. Now imagine had Taylor focused on signing Forsberg instead, who Philly signed for $5,750,000, which is only $810,000 more than what Roenick was making.

Of course getting Roenick helped lead to a massive overhaul in management after the disastrous 2005-06 season, but it would've certainly been interesting to see Kopitar under the tutelage of a player like Forsberg.

I guess Handzus helped serve that role to some degree when Lombardi signed him, but in his rookie season the centers on the Kings consisted of Craig Conroy, Derek Armstrong, Alyn McCauley and Jamie Lundmark. That is quite the cast.

Lt Dan

F*** your ice cream!
Sep 13, 2018
Bayou La Batre
youtu.be
And he went on to pop 75 points in 60 games. Now imagine had Taylor focused on signing Forsberg instead, who Philly signed for $5,750,000, which is only $810,000 more than what Roenick was making.

Of course getting Roenick helped lead to a massive overhaul in management after the disastrous 2005-06 season, but it would've certainly been interesting to see Kopitar under the tutelage of a player like Forsberg.

I guess Handzus helped serve that role to some degree when Lombardi signed him, but in his rookie season the centers on the Kings consisted of Craig Conroy, Derek Armstrong, Alyn McCauley and Jamie Lundmark. That is quite the cast.
There was a rumor that Taylor did approach Forsberg who said "Ok, who else are you going to sign?" And Taylor said "You're it" and Forsberg pretty much ended the call right there"

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
There was a rumor that Taylor did approach Forsberg who said "Ok, who else are you going to sign?" And Taylor said "You're it" and Forsberg pretty much ended the call right there"

He must've hung up when the response was "Valeri Bure."

The Kings did sign Demitra and Conroy that same summer they acquired Roenick, but they really were virtually carried by one line. From what I recall, this is what the 2005-06 lineup looked like most nights:

Frolov-Conroy-Demitra
Brown-Roenick-Cammalleri
Avery-Belanger-Kostopoulos
Robitaille-Armstrong-Parros

They also had amazing talents like Jeff Giuliano and Jeff Cowan as spares and acquired Mark Parrish at the deadline in a desperation move.

On the blueline they had:
Visnovsky-Corvo
Norstrom-Miller
Gleason-Dempsey

Weaver was an extra, and they acquired Brent Sopel in the Mark Parrish trade. Again, not much offense from that blueline outside of the top two.

And they had backup goalies between the pipes in Garon and LaBarbera. No wonder Forsberg had no interest signing here.

What's remarkable is that they finished over .500 and missed the playoffs by six points. The memorable John Torchetti era lasted all of 12 games.

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
So, I saw this on Hockey writers, I think...

They said a trade with yotes involving Hjalmerson + 1st to the Kings... I forget what the Kings send the other way but I propose Clague and a 2nd. This helps the yotes cap space and the kings get another 1st and a solid D.
Since Phoenix doesn't have a 1st this season, it would be a 2021 1st round pick I assume.

I might consider it if it's an unprotected 1st. Then you hope Phoenix has a bad season and it turns into a lottery pick.

If Hjalmerson plays well and is healthy, he could potentially be flipped at the trade deadline next year for another pick.

Johnny Utah

Aug 2, 2005
Santa Monica, CA
If the Kings want a little jam up front to protect the kids or think MacD might be sitting more than playing these players are worth a mention on a one year.

1. Wayne Simmonds.
2. Pat Maroon
3. Matt Martin

Also, on a lower level, I follow Kurtis Gabriel on IG and he's a solid person who's now big in the LGBT community and has overcame some things (his dad's suicide) - he could shuttle between Ontario and the Kings. Solid two way who can fight and play (has played for Wild and Devils).

Unless Boko Imama will be making a push?

Last edited:

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
In Quick's last two seasons he'll be making 3M and 2.5M in actual salary. Maybe if Seattle wants a cheap goalie (in terms of real world dollars) that has some name recognition they could be interested in JQ.

But looking at it objectively, I don't see why Seattle would be interested in him.

If anything we should WANT Seattle to take him.

I don't think it's that crazy. VGK took on MAF despite plenty of other goalies.

It's a veteran, character, upside gamble that's ultimately pretty cheap.

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
Since Phoenix doesn't have a 1st this season, it would be a 2021 1st round pick I assume.

I might consider it if it's an unprotected 1st. Then you hope Phoenix has a bad season and it turns into a lottery pick.

If Hjalmerson plays well and is healthy, he could potentially be flipped at the trade deadline next year for another pick.
This would be great, but is there going to be a GM in Arizona dumb enough to do it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad