Speculation: 2020-21 News/Rumors/Roster Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
Arguably, Clifford became Clifford too early because of this...

Not many guys are going to be 19 and making the Kings, and put in the same position as Clifford was. They only have two 19 year old forwards signed, Turcotte and Kaliyev. As of right now, the Kings have 14 non-UFA's, who you could make a case for to be on the team, that are at least 21 when next season starts.

Bring in a veteran or two to kill some time, that's ok, but just let go of what happened before. There are other guys that can do what Clifford did.

kingsboy11

Maestro
Dec 14, 2011
USA
Cap space doesn't "matter" at the moment for us, but I'd think about bringing him back at either the same price or less. I think the Kings would want him back because he's been an immense character guy for a while and sets a good example. That being said I think its time to start seeing what we have in some of the kids.

funky

Build around Byfield, not the vets
Mar 9, 2002
I really hope that Wagner and Grundstrom take that next step and provide a little more grit.

I am all about signing Edmundson as well because even if he doesn’t drop them regularly, he still drops them plus brings size to the backend while taking a regular shift and playing physical.

Cliffy is still one hit away from retirement. I loved him as a King, he was a true heart and soul warrior but it’s time to pass that torch to the next gen.

Reactions: yankeeking

kilowatt

the vibes are not immaculate
Jan 1, 2009
Assuming the Kings sign Edmundson...who would he play with? Drew?

funky

Mar 9, 2002
I also find it humorous we are debating bringing back a 8 minute a game player who brings the odd spark to the team yet some want to jettison our 6’3 two way center man who eats 20 plus minutes a night, plays in all situations, and has showed no signs of slowing down.

I would imagine it would take 2 games after he was traded for some people to realize we just lost something we can’t replace.

Reactions: Choralone

funky

Mar 9, 2002
Assuming the Kings sign Edmundson...who would he play with? Drew?

Wagner on the second pairing? Give him a little more room to drive some offense. Our D is pretty small at the moment.

let Roy and Anderson gain a bit more experience and slowly increase their minutes.

kilowatt

Jan 1, 2009
Wagner on the second pairing? Give him a little more room to drive some offense. Our D is pretty small at the moment.

let Roy and Anderson gain a bit more experience and slowly increase their minutes.

Walker only has 14 more games of NHL experience than Roy. So who plays with Doughty?

xxx - Doughty
Edmundson - Walker
Anderson - Roy

funky

Mar 9, 2002
Walker only has 14 more games of NHL experience than Roy. So who plays with Doughty?

xxx - Doughty
Edmundson - Walker
Anderson - Roy

In my perfect world, we trade for Sergachev

in my I wanna give him a chance world, Bjornfot

in my I kinda do but really should not want to see it world, Krug.

In my it might just be stupid enough to work world, Clague on PP and some reg shift, Anderson on some of the Pen kill shifts.

In all honesty we have had a hole on Drew’s Left for years. I honestly think a Krug type that is weaker defensively but could run a PP offensively may be a nice fit. I love Drew but he is closer to a Vlasic type then a true PP wizard. I also don’t want to short change Bjornfot as he seems to be developing very nicely but at the same time I don’t see him being a PP threat.

there is no one in this draft that I think pairs well with Drew. It is funny how we have one of the best defenseman the league has seen over the last 10 years and we have a very hard time finding someone to pair with him that will enhance Drew’s strengths instead of actually becoming an anchor to Drew have Drew have to do to much.

great question

Reactions: kilowatt

regulate

Aug 19, 2007
Rancho Cucamonga, CA

xxx - Doughty
Edmundson - Walker
Anderson - Roy

Bjornfot or UFA - Doughty
Anderson - Roy
MacDermid or Clague - Walker

Roy has never been scratched once since he was called up late in the season 2 years ago. Anderson-Roy were 6-0 when they were paired at the end of last season. Walker was demoted to the 3rd pairing in the 2nd half of last season as his play continued to decline. MacDermid is a 6th-7th D man. We'll have to see if Bjornfot and Clague are ready, but Blake won't want to go into the season with so little experience on the blue line from the left side. They will likely sign a LHD UFA, but I doubt it will be anyone of significant stature, likely a 1 or 2 year deal. Clague's versatility is nice as he can play both sides, but the jury is clearly out if he can hold his own defensively. He just barely turned 22 even though it seems he's been around for a long-time, but it's a key year for him as they will have to decide if they will protect him in the expansion draft, so he'll need to prove he belongs or there is a good chance he'll be on the trading block at the deadline.

kilowatt

Jan 1, 2009
Bjornfot or UFA - Doughty
Anderson - Roy
MacDermid or Clague - Walker

Roy has never been scratched once since he was called up late in the season 2 years ago. Anderson-Roy were 6-0 when they were paired at the end of last season. Walker was demoted to the 3rd pairing in the 2nd half of last season as his play continued to decline. MacDermid is a 6th-7th D man. We'll have to see if Bjornfot and Clague are ready, but Blake won't want to go into the season with so little experience on the blue line from the left side. They will likely sign a LHD UFA, but I doubt it will be anyone of significant stature, likely a 1 or 2 year deal. Clague's versatility is nice as he can play both sides, but the jury is clearly out if he can hold his own defensively. He just barely turned 22 even though it seems he's been around for a long-time, but it's a key year for him as they will have to decide if they will protect him in the expansion draft, so he'll need to prove he belongs or there is a good chance he'll be on the trading block at the deadline.

I think Clague is probably a victim of prospect fatigue. He was our only prospect of any value (second round pick in 2016) for an entire year, and since then we’ve just chosen better and better and better prospects. Funny enough, he is actually the latest second-round pick we’ve chosen (tied with Akil Thomas) the past four years.

2019 33 Kaliyev
2019 50 Fagemo
2018 51 Thomas
2017 41 Anderson-Dolan
2016 51 Clague

It’s definitely not a sure thing that Clague ever sticks in the NHL, but he’ll need a long look this year lest he get Hickey’d.

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Michigan
Cifford + 3rd

I respectfully disagree. There is still a much better chance of landing a potential impact player in the 2nd round than there is in the 3rd. The Kings can go out and sign a Kyle Clifford type in free agency if they are looking for a character 4th liner. Clifford re-signing in Toronto is the best thing for the Kings, IMO.

cyclones22

Apr 4, 2003
Eastvale
Mikey would've likely been called up anyway, but Clague got injured prior to his call-up and Anderson took full advantage of the Martinez trade and the Kings throwing out the garbage in Forbort. If Clague looks as solid as Mikey, we may need to protect him in the expansion draft. Likely going to be 4-4-1 protection list anyway.

Last edited:

KingsOfCali25

Start up the Bandwagon!
Feb 21, 2013
Santa Clarita, CA
Mikey would've likely been called up anyway, but Clague got injured prior to his call-up and Anderson took full advantage of the Martinez trade and the Kings throwing out the garbage in Forbort. If Clague looks as solid as Mikey, we may need to protect him in the expansion draft. Likely going to be 4-4-1 protection list anyway.

I really feel like if Clague doesn't have a good camp this season he'll be moved for some winger help.

Reactions: jfont

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Re-signing Clifford would be stupid. Kings are moving towards youth, why sign someone to take a chance from a young player

It depends on a few things. I'm not all for it, but I'm not against it. Depends on how ready the kids are. Depends on how often MacDermid can take a regular shift. Right now, our active contracts say we're lining up with some configuration of

Iafallo-Kopitar-Brown
Kempe-Vilardi-Frk
Carter-_____-_____
Lizotte Moore Wagner

Amadio

I'm not giving thought to the above lines, just spitting em out. Keeping in mind we're likely to have 2-3 rookies already on D in the lineup on any given night in Bjornfot-Anderson-Clague and any surprises, how many forwards should be rookies? I'm not looking for an answer, it's a philosophical question that can be answered differently depending on where you come from, and I'm not sure there's a right answer until closer to camp.

There's a whole list of guys to choose from who COULD slot there, but I doubt will full-time. Maybe any number of our top 2 rounds this year, Grundstrom? JAD? Fagemo? Turcotte? Kupari? Thomas? Madden? Kaliyev?

Between injuries and bad play I think there's plenty of opportunity for Clifford as a 13th forward at the very least, it's not that outlandish. I'd be a little disappointed if JAD didn't grab onto a spot this year. Amadio gets the chance to play his way onto or off of the roster. Grundstrom too. The others I think will get a cup of coffee and then a year in the AHL most likely. Then again, there's always a camp surprise, like Lizotte, and just by sheer prospect volume we may be eliminating someone. But I don't see anyone there who will take care of the other forwards like Clifford will. That's a pretty soft lineup. But again, philosophy.

Reactions: lumbergh

Telos

In Byfield We Must Trust
Aug 16, 2008
Reno, NV
Clifford will likely be brought back as a mentor anyway like Stoll and Greene. In the end, there is no reason to re-sign him, we should hope the Leafs keep him and continue to use the roster spot for the youth. We have enough veteran leadership with Kopitar, Doughty, Brown, Quick, Carter, and then so many guys they've hired on as staff, etc.

jfont

Feb 27, 2002
Los Angeles
So, I saw this on Hockey writers, I think...

They said a trade with yotes involving Hjalmerson + 1st to the Kings... I forget what the Kings send the other way but I propose Clague and a 2nd. This helps the yotes cap space and the kings get another 1st and a solid D.

Reactions: lumbergh

lumbergh

It was an idea. I didn't say it was a good idea.
Jan 8, 2007
Richmond, VA
So, I saw this on Hockey writers, I think...

They said a trade with yotes involving Hjalmerson + 1st to the Kings... I forget what the Kings send the other way but I propose Clague and a 2nd. This helps the yotes cap space and the kings get another 1st and a solid D.
Where do I sign?

Reactions: Rumpelstiltskin
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad